What's with all of these believers?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2013, 03:04 PM
RE: What's with all of these believers?
Hopefully I'm not just adding without actually adding but when I first became an atheist it was kinda like being thrown from everything you had once taken as comfort. So church became hard to handle and all my social life involved the "threat" of god coming up in the conversation. My out was YouTube since there's enough atheist on it that it's pretty easy to find a corner to sit in without "you're going to hell" being breathed down you neck. Yes there is the real world to contend with but I think it's sometimes necessary to have a place that deals with real world problems without god being part of the conversation.

Personally, I think Atheist Nexus does a good job of this. However I don't think it would hurt to have a corner that you can only talk about an issue if god is not included as a solution to the problem. Not so much an exclusion of theist. More of a " leave your god answers at the door. That's just my opinion though.

Just an outsider looking inn.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Foxcanine1's post
14-03-2013, 03:52 PM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2013 04:24 PM by GirlyMan.)
(14-03-2013 01:27 PM)Dom Wrote:  Pfffft! I spent 50 years as an atheist who was never bothered by religious folk (with exception of Jehova's witnesses coming to my door, and I can handle them, lol) until I came here.

Likewise Dom, been an open atheist for 35 years and never encountered any problems because of it. Part of it I think is where I live. The People's Republic of Maryland is so religiously diverse nobody even notices the atheists. Part of it I think is where I work, proselytization is as prohibited as sexual harassment. Since joining this forum is the first time I've had to resist becoming an anti-theist. I ain't worried about being converted by a theist, but these anti-theists can be pretty compelling. I think now I can at least appreciate the need for them, just don't wanna be one. ... Feel's like a young man's role.

Think the difference between the atheist forums and at least the Christian ones is that we will tolerate them, ridicule them yes, that goes without saying. But they pose no threat here so they won't be censured or banned. Conversely, the atheist apparently poses a major threat to most Christian forums as evidenced by the fact they are almost always immediately banned.

And the theists (at least the Christians) that come here typically don't know shit about their own fucking faith and it's entertaining to watch the likes of BuckyBall and Mark Fulton and hell even another theist like KC make sure they know they don't know dick about what they're talking about. Hell, I even like dicking with them sometimes myself when they occasionally overstep and stray into metaphysics and epistemology.

[Image: 280sw0yu335.gif]

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-03-2013, 10:06 PM
As far as the idea of this place being a 'safe haven' goes I don't know what Seth's views are.

As I understand it the forum was set up with the website but Seth simply didn't have the time to run it himself, he's got a pretty busy life. Initially the place was just one section dominated by spambots. Stark contacted Seth and offered to clear up the place, afterwards Seth passed control of the forum over to Stark to run as he saw fit. Stark's vision for the place was never that it would be a 'safe haven' (as far as I'm aware), it was that this would be a place of free-speech wherever possible and would not be just for atheists. That's the way the forum has been run for as long as I've been a member.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
15-03-2013, 07:51 AM
EGross, I would also like to add, I understand your frustration.

Many "Christians" come here specifically to troll. I'm here to try and bridge relationships. So, they destroy my work.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
15-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Hughsie,
I was just stating my surprise that Seth mentioned TTA being a safe haven for new Atheists because I don't get that vibe here. It made me wonder how much of that vision was passed on to the powers that be.
It is not a criticism, it was a comment on something Seth said to Matt Dillahunty, an observation, if you will.
And KC...You do a fine job though you are often outnumbered.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
15-03-2013, 08:06 AM
(15-03-2013 07:51 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  EGross, I would also like to add, I understand your frustration.

Many "Christians" come here specifically to troll. I'm here to try and bridge relationships. So, they destroy my work.

Um, what work? We don't buy your theology, so are you talking about peaceful coexistence?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-03-2013, 08:09 AM
(15-03-2013 08:06 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-03-2013 07:51 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  EGross, I would also like to add, I understand your frustration.

Um, what work? We don't buy your theology, so are you talking about peaceful coexistence?
Yeah. I've been saying this for a long time.

Atheists and Christians don't have to be at odds with each other. We can enjoy each other as human beings. Just because we don't believe the same way doesn't mean we have to hate each other... or troll each other... or be nasty to each other.

That's why I'm trying to do.

Many atheists come here because they were burned by mean Christians. I want them to know that we're not all like that.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
15-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Anjele, maybe in calling this place a "safe haven," Seth was thinking of the site as a whole and not the forum.

KC, I'm sure your heart is in the right place as a mod or you wouldn't be here. You intrigue me, and I'm looking forward to getting to know you.

For what it's worth, my problem was never with "mean Christians." It was with "mean Christianity," which is to say, the more Christianity held to its Biblical roots, the meaner it is. The more it strays from its Biblical roots, the less defensible (apologetically speaking) it is. It's a Catch-22, from "your" standpoint. Embrace the Bible, and I "attack" the Bible. Reject the Bible, and why bother being a Christian?

Etc. I'm sure I'm not the first person to reply to you in this way. Appreciate your forthrightness and candor, always.
15-03-2013, 08:53 AM
What's with all of these believers?
(14-03-2013 12:52 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  God is cool.

Me, I'm particularly fond of Quetzalcoatl. I mean, really, a flying feathered serpent with wings and a bad attitude, what's more cool than that? Well, maybe the same god but made out of pizza. Mmmm, pizza. Damn, now I'm hungry.

All hail, Pizzalcoatl!
15-03-2013, 08:54 AM
TCS...perhaps, I certainly don't think I know exactly what he meant. His comment caught my attention though. It's just been on my mind since I heard him say it. I think he did mean the forum though because you certainly aren't going to be ambushed by a cranky theist while watching a video or listening to a podcast. That's my take, it needn't be anyone else's.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy