What's with all the US Presidential Candidates?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2015, 12:32 PM
RE: What's with all the US Presidential Candidates?
All of those Republicans are candidates for the Republican nomination; they are not candidates for the presidency.

The Grand Old Party will have a grand old time sorting out the clowns.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
17-06-2015, 12:40 PM
(17-06-2015 11:56 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(17-06-2015 09:31 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  [Image: bernie500.jpg]

[Image: 1907698_676590719087799_2699998671229253374_n.jpg]

[Image: Bernieclass-full.jpg]

[Image: 1374981_10151922747207908_168873086_n.png]

[Image: BernieSanders-infrastructure.png]

No you got it all wrong.. he's just a joke who we find so cute to think he has an election campaign. Oh well see you later.

The media cycle and power is the sad truth here. It really does reflect everything wrong with the impact of coverage and money power. Bernie has already essentially been written off as a no hope candidate. It's the major problem even for young disenfranchised people who would be weary but actually like Bernie Sanders when their media tops like John Stewart laugh and say, oh don't think about Bernie, he's just a laugh who has no chance against Hilary. Well you're influencing thousands of minds to think, oh he has no chance so I have no reason to think about him. It just ends the race before it starts.

Instead they and most other media coverage focuses on the Republican lineup and just like in the ramp up to 2008 or 2012, they all get a 15 minutes of fame moment of high press until everyone sees how insanely unfitting they are. Sadly it seems though that case isn't going to happen all across to quality options though. This cycle is the same as it was in 2012 with tons of Candidates raising up then fizzling. Some were dropping based on the early straw polls like Pawlenty.

Because the last time Hilary ran for President she easily brushed aside a grassroots campaign launched by someone who pundits considered as a non-factor before the Primaries. Drinking Beverage

Hilary is not a Juggernaught she has held 1 political office in her life and she barely won that. She is probably one of the few Democratic candidates who would lose a general election right now. I'll take my chances with Sanders at least if he won something might change for the better.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
17-06-2015, 12:56 PM
I post at a gaming forum a lot, and it's been fun reading poster's summaries of the GOP candidates:

Short version 1:
angelfromanotherpin Wrote:Most all of them are running on some combination of cutting taxes, naked prejudice, and going to war with Iran. Just assume that's the default.

As for 'who matters,' that's kind of hard to tell, but I'll give it a shot. Of the declared candidates, Ben Carson, Carly Fiorina, George Pataki, Rick Perry, and Rick Santorum don't matter.

Ted Cruz: Extra insanity.
Lindsey Graham: Extra war with Iran.
Mike Huckabee: Extra religious prejudice, less cutting taxes.
Rand Paul: Less war with Iran.
Marco Rubio: Default.

Jeb isn't technically declared, but will probably do less prejudice and extra war with Iran. I think the rest of the undeclared probably don't matter.

Short version 2:
Kaelik Wrote:The black one who won't win at all.
The psycho who took home his wife's miscarriage, so presumably he is double opposed to abortion.
The guy who really wants to bomb Iran.
The guy who really wants to MAKE THIS CHRISTIAN NATION GREAT.
The one who wants to MAKE THIS RACIST NATION GREAT.
The guy with the gun nut crazy conspiracy anti-gay father.
Bush III.
The one who is a minority, but not as crazy, and not the scary black kind, but is really thirsty.

Detailed version:
FrankTrollman Wrote:Huckabee really does seem to know a lot of child molesters. Like, it's actually ridiculous how many different pedophiles you can get to from him in like one or two degrees of separation. His books were ghost written by a child molester. He played base for Ted Nugent. He campaigned with the Duggars who arranged to have their child molestation buried by a pedophile cop and then sent their child molester son off to be mentored by a child molester cult leader. And then there was that conservative legislator that "rehomed" some adopted girls to a man who raped them. Arkansas conservative politics seems to be very similar to a pedophile ring.

Anyway, running for president among the conservatives right now is indeed a scam. Billionaires give you money and you spend it on hiring your friends and flying around the country eating lobster. And being a former presidential candidate lets you sell books and give speeches for money. You don't even have to write those books, you can get a child molester to do it for you and pocket a bunch of cash.

But Poe's Law really does kick in. These people are claiming to be out of control narcissists who think they should run the free world and be in charge of the big red nuclear devastation button because they are chosen for the task by the creator of the universe. If they actually believed that rather than just engaging in a long con, how could you even tell?

Ben Carson is clearly not going to win, but people are clearly going to keep him very rich as long as he pretends that there is a chance in hell of him doing so. So why would he stop pretending? I don't know if he's even stupid, he is a very skilled neurosurgeon. I mean, he might have early onset dementia and be gibbering crazy talk on podiums because he's completely lost it. Or he might be completely calculatingly saying the stupidest shit he can think of because people pay him tens of thousands of dollars per appearance to stand up and be a black doctor that throws red meat at conservative audiences.

Let's go through some of the others:
  • Carly Fiorina is a failed CEO and a failed state-level candidate in California. She has no constituency and no accomplishments. There is no way that she can get anywhere in the presidential race. She is running for Vice President. If she gets her name out there enough, she could be 2016's Sara Palin.
  • Ted Cruz is a member of a real narcissistic cult, so his claims to think he is better than everyone else and also selected by God for greatness are probably true. On an actual policy level, he's basically a cipher because he actually thought the government shutdown was going to work. Where his cynical villainy ends and his rampant Dunning-Kruger begins is basically unknowable.
  • Jeb Bush is a member of America's evilest and most powerful political dynasty. He is picking up tens of millions of dollars because the richest and evilest people in the country owe favors to his family. He would be a terrible president, but he was able to cheat his own brother into office 15 years ago and a lot pf people fucking owe him. Win or lose, he's going home with eight digits in cash, but he's also a "serious" candidate in that the entire corrupt apparatus his brother put together is on his side.
  • Chris Christie had a national narrative going where he was a serious candidate because he was a hard charging conservative who won the governorship in a deep blue New Jersey. He had managed to play off rudeness as competence, and was quite personally popular in New Jersey despite having policies that were unpopular. That's over now. The impacts of his failed policies and reports of his corruption and bullying have filtered down to the little people and his career is over. He's still running because he was taken seriously, and he's hoping he can turn it around. And people support him with money because they think that if there's a chance of him returning to national favor that people who supported him when he's low will have disproportionate access and they are probably right.
  • Rick Perry is basically the same story as Chris Christie. He was the guy who had never lost an election and was governor of the largest state with a mining boom. But then he showed up to major speeches drunk and forgot what federal agencies he would disband in the middle of a nationally publicized debate. He has no real chance, but the fact that he was ever a serious contender means that he gets the media attention and donor dollars needed to run a dark horse candidacy.
  • Rick Santorum is a failed senator and religious nutjob who is simply unlikeable. In 2012, there was a period when the anti-RMoney conservatives decided to rally around him as a protest candidate, so he came way closer in 2012 than he had any reason to. The fact that he did surprisingly well in the last election means that he gets taken seriously enough for his candidacy to stumble along - even though he only has one supporter and her name is Peggy.
  • Marco Rubio is relatively young looking, but his actual policies are conservative canards from the sixties. I mean seriously, fight the communists? Is that still a thing? He panders so hard that he actually attends a catholic church and a protestant church on alternate days, so it's not like he isn't willing to lie to Jesus in order to advance his political career.
  • Donald Trump is an egomaniacal basket case. He has gone bankrupt repeatedly but keeps getting funding for more flamboyant vanity projects because he is a full time grifter and knows how to separate rich investors from their money. His presidential aspirations are obviously just another grift.
  • Lindsey Graham is probably a closeted homosexual. He's part of McCain's entourage, and the only reason his campaign even exists is because he wants to bomb the Middle East some more. He's not a neo-con like Jeb Bush, he's a violent reactionary, so he's probably looking at more of an "all-in" type invasion of Iran rather than a Cheney style feint attack plus lots of graft that can't possibly work. So way more dead people on both sides, but there'd probably be an actual conquest of Tehran if for some reason that was a thing you wanted.
  • Pataki has no chance in the modern Republican party, and his candidacy exists because there are a lot of North East rich people who want conservative tax policies but don't want all the know-nothing fascism that conservatism is married to at the moment. There is no electoral constituency for these people, but there is a financial constituency. A lot of people make two hundred thousand dollars a year and want Pataki-style conservatism from their government. I mean, not enough to win elections, but enough to keep Pataki's campaign afloat with cash.
  • John Kasich is a presidential candidate because he is a conservative governor of a swing state. That's about as far as it goes. He's unlikeable, but Republicans understand that they need to win Ohio in order to win the presidency, so here he is.
  • Bobby Jindal is the governor of Louisiana, and he is brown. He torpedoed his national profile when he got on national television and said the government should stop monitoring volcanoes. Also the state finances of Louisiana are a travesty, so he can't run on his actual record. He has no chance at all, but various people would like him to stay in the race so that the field can be more diverse. In essence, he's running for vice president like Carly Fiorina. He might be the token minority on the ticket.
  • Scott Walker didn't even finish college. He has a record of failure and is actually pretty stupid, but he joyfully bends over for the Koch Brothers and has a big war chest. More importantly, he looks like what a Republican thinks a president should look like. And he's the governor of a purple state.

So that's fifteen Republican candidates. And I'm probably missing a few. It's going to be a long year and a half.

-Frank
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
17-06-2015, 01:13 PM
No Letterman. Weeping
What else we supposed to do for entertainment ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
17-06-2015, 01:15 PM
(17-06-2015 08:46 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  They're going to need a bigger clown car. Drinking Beverage

I think they keep one stored at Dubya's ranch. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
17-06-2015, 01:25 PM
I'm all about Sanders at this point. I really hope he gets the nomination.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
17-06-2015, 02:00 PM
(17-06-2015 01:15 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(17-06-2015 08:46 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  They're going to need a bigger clown car. Drinking Beverage

I think they keep one stored at Dubya's ranch. Thumbsup

I'll drive out to Crawford and look. Hobo

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
17-06-2015, 02:05 PM
I'll vote for whoever gets the democratic nomination. I'd like it to be Bernie but any democrat is better than whichever shithead the republicunts put forward.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
17-06-2015, 02:08 PM
(17-06-2015 09:33 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Zaphod Beeblebrox for president (of the galaxy)!!

Eight years of W was enough.

"Don't Vote For Stupid"

A Hitchhiker's movie reference, I know, but I SO loved it!

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
[+] 2 users Like TwoCultSurvivor's post
17-06-2015, 05:29 PM
(17-06-2015 12:40 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(17-06-2015 11:56 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  No you got it all wrong.. he's just a joke who we find so cute to think he has an election campaign. Oh well see you later.

The media cycle and power is the sad truth here. It really does reflect everything wrong with the impact of coverage and money power. Bernie has already essentially been written off as a no hope candidate. It's the major problem even for young disenfranchised people who would be weary but actually like Bernie Sanders when their media tops like John Stewart laugh and say, oh don't think about Bernie, he's just a laugh who has no chance against Hilary. Well you're influencing thousands of minds to think, oh he has no chance so I have no reason to think about him. It just ends the race before it starts.

Instead they and most other media coverage focuses on the Republican lineup and just like in the ramp up to 2008 or 2012, they all get a 15 minutes of fame moment of high press until everyone sees how insanely unfitting they are. Sadly it seems though that case isn't going to happen all across to quality options though. This cycle is the same as it was in 2012 with tons of Candidates raising up then fizzling. Some were dropping based on the early straw polls like Pawlenty.

Because the last time Hilary ran for President she easily brushed aside a grassroots campaign launched by someone who pundits considered as a non-factor before the Primaries. Drinking Beverage

Hilary is not a Juggernaught she has held 1 political office in her life and she barely won that. She is probably one of the few Democratic candidates who would lose a general election right now. I'll take my chances with Sanders at least if he won something might change for the better.

Obama was never pushed aside or ignored as some laugh of a presence like people later applied it to. He was pushed by immense hype and press during the fall of 06 already, even during the super bowl in January/February time there was all this craze about if he was going to announce his candidacy. From all ranges like the Oprah support to then being pushed by the younger generation reaching media. . . that media hasn't been pushing Sanders as strongly. The press was pushing Obama as a younger reaching guy worth the hype while that same range of media is pushing Sanders as a joke unworth your time.

I'd love to have Sanders in and take a bigger chance with him. Just 5 hours ago I was talking to my sister and she went on about how she would refuse to vote for Hilary and can't stand her. My mother was the same. My sister didn't know who Bernie was though it's early still and she's not living in a state that would even matter if she voted in the Primary because of how foolish that system is. It's still a total different hype and atmosphere given to how strong the candidacy is. In 07 Hilary was not treated as the lock type she is being treated by people as she is currently, John Edwards and Obama were getting quality press treatment as well.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson