What's with the hate?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2013, 08:14 PM
What's with the hate?
I'm going through YT and I'm finding a bunch of videos with really nasty comments. Now, when the topic is blatantly anti-theistic I can see the point. That's an attack and they feel the need to respond. I don't support what they say or how, but I understand and expect it to a certain extent.

What baffles me is when the issue isn't inflammatory or contentious. There's a video that has an interview and short bio of Stephen Hawking. The video contains no reference to religion or theistic belief, only to his scientific work and his view on the prospects of science in the future. And yet the comments were appallingly hateful, including personal attacks and implications that his ILS was some sort of punishment for blasphemy.

This isn't the only place I've seen it. A video on Gauss's law and one on isothermic expansion also had nasty comments following them. Please note these were videos where the guy was doing the math to show examples and clarify the concepts involved. These are not attacking anyone, they're aids for students. So why the ire? And unprovoked ire at that.

I do get it when aimed at atheist videos, though not the tone (spelling too, but that's beside the point. I mean really, my phone has spell check). If we're wrong, God will take care of it. And simply attacking and slurring the video or its creator does nothing to refute an argument. But with these I expect it.

It is in those videos that do NOT mention religion that the hate baffles me. I even got hateful messages on an online post for history class about how religion was used to justify Spanish Imperialim and conquest in the new world. How is that warranting hate? I really am confused.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
07-10-2013, 08:31 PM
RE: What's with the hate?
haters gonna hate?

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
07-10-2013, 08:38 PM
It's everywhere on the internet. Anonymity brings out the worst in people. Hell, just take a look around here a lot of times. Read almost any comment section of a news story on any major news site. There are people who troll comment sections and will make any story into a religious debate, regardless of the articles content.

Unfortunately a lot of the time it's an atheist who will start it (at least on the newsvines). There are appropriate times for these debates, but some people will do it anywhere. I'd be willing to bet they're not starting the same arguments at the grocery store or the library. Just the internet.

Haters gonna hate, especially if they can do it from behind a keyboard. Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
07-10-2013, 08:41 PM
[Image: My-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony...eel-it.gif]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-10-2013, 08:45 PM
(07-10-2013 08:14 PM)natachan Wrote:  I'm going through YT and I'm finding a bunch of videos with really nasty comments. Now, when the topic is blatantly anti-theistic I can see the point. That's an attack and they feel the need to respond. I don't support what they say or how, but I understand and expect it to a certain extent.

What baffles me is when the issue isn't inflammatory or contentious. There's a video that has an interview and short bio of Stephen Hawking. The video contains no reference to religion or theistic belief, only to his scientific work and his view on the prospects of science in the future. And yet the comments were appallingly hateful, including personal attacks and implications that his ILS was some sort of punishment for blasphemy.

This isn't the only place I've seen it. A video on Gauss's law and one on isothermic expansion also had nasty comments following them. Please note these were videos where the guy was doing the math to show examples and clarify the concepts involved. These are not attacking anyone, they're aids for students. So why the ire? And unprovoked ire at that.

I do get it when aimed at atheist videos, though not the tone (spelling too, but that's beside the point. I mean really, my phone has spell check). If we're wrong, God will take care of it. And simply attacking and slurring the video or its creator does nothing to refute an argument. But with these I expect it.

It is in those videos that do NOT mention religion that the hate baffles me. I even got hateful messages on an online post for history class about how religion was used to justify Spanish Imperialim and conquest in the new world. How is that warranting hate? I really am confused.

This is because it's the comments section of You-Tube. Asking why it's full of hate is like asking why the Balkans aren't unified.

Just view it through the lens of Sturgeon's law. Twice.
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
07-10-2013, 08:47 PM
But on a video that is a teaching tool? How is that logical?
07-10-2013, 08:49 PM
(07-10-2013 08:47 PM)natachan Wrote:  But on a video that is a teaching tool? How is that logical?

You think they need logic or a reason?
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
07-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Doesn't everyone?
07-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Haters gonna hate. It's science.

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
07-10-2013, 09:38 PM
(07-10-2013 08:50 PM)natachan Wrote:  Doesn't everyone?
Not Them.