What's with the hate?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2013, 09:50 PM
RE: What's with the hate?
(07-10-2013 08:50 PM)natachan Wrote:  Doesn't everyone?

No, sadly, not everybody is familiar with the realm of rationality.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2013, 10:11 PM
(07-10-2013 08:50 PM)natachan Wrote:  Doesn't everyone?

Some theist children today are "home schooled" or attend private schools run by their church and are therefore taught only what to think, rather than how to think.

As for adults who have acquired the ability to reason and think logically, many have distanced themselves from these attributes when dealing with their faith. A few former theists have reported here, actually being advised by clergy to not "think so much".

Yep. Pretty crazy. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
07-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Its got his name on it, its all thats needed for the hate. They probably don't even watch.

Twitter: @doubtingdragon
http://doubtingdragon.wordpress.com
07-10-2013, 10:55 PM
I was brought up in catholic schools until I was 14-15, yet I still maintain my native logic. Isn't it a core of the human mind? Granted my father was a Protestant and is now an agnostic or "closet atheist" so that might have tempered some of it. I e never found the argument: "don't think about it" or "because I say so" to be valid. They're not. Doesn't everyone eventually have to figure that out?
07-10-2013, 10:56 PM
A YouTube comments section may well be the Asshole of the World.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
07-10-2013, 10:56 PM
It's the fundies... Stephen Hawking is a scientist the great enemy of the fundies. Even worse, he' an atheist...

There are fundies out there who trawl through science videos looking for a fight. It's best to ignore them, or kindly point them in the direction of Thunderf00t's channel.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-10-2013, 11:26 PM
I don't think it's just youtube, though. I've seen fundies go out of their way to talk shit on atheists and nonreligious people. I think it is their way of trying to shit on people who are not like them. When they say things like Hawking's ALS is a punishment for being an atheist, they are trying to make themselves feel better, to convince themselves that ungodly people get shit on. (I think with Hawking, there is also a hatred and jealously, because he gets more attention because he's a famous scientist, and these people think science is evil and people shouldn't pay attention to it).

I've seen this happen offline. I have fundie relatives who tell me all my health issues would go away if I just "accepted jesus into my heart." The same relatives told my mom, right after my dad died, that if he was a christian he wouldn't have died. They think atheism killed him, not cancer and emphysema (though they probably think those were just punishments, rather than effects of smoking for so many years).

I think it's a "we're right and everyone else is wrong" type of thing. It's even worse because they act like (and some actually think) they are helping people by calling them idiots and telling them they just need jeezus.

Also, there are the people who make a big deal of Darwin's religious views, as if they fucking matter. They just want to be on the same "team" with a famous person. Same with the US founding fathers. Even if they were xian, who gives a shit? They still advocated for freedom of religion and separation of church and state.

(07-10-2013 10:56 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  It's the fundies... Stephen Hawking is a scientist the great enemy of the fundies. Even worse, he' an atheist...

There are fundies out there who trawl through science videos looking for a fight. It's best to ignore them, or kindly point them in the direction of Thunderf00t's channel.
Yes, all of this. It doesn't matter what the video is about if you're convinced that science and scientists, as well as logic and reason, are the enemy.
[+] 3 users Like amyb's post
07-10-2013, 11:28 PM
(07-10-2013 10:56 PM)TheMrBillShow Wrote:  A YouTube comments section may well be the Asshole of the World.

On the one hand, I want to know out of scientific interest why the anatomy of the world requires so many assholes.

On the other hand, I really, really, REALLY don't want to know.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
08-10-2013, 12:06 AM
But isn't it also fear?
These people are terrified that science will burst their 'God Bubble' and their whole world will come crashing around their ears and then what will they do?
[+] 2 users Like englishrose's post
08-10-2013, 12:16 AM
(07-10-2013 08:14 PM)natachan Wrote:  I'm going through YT...

There's yer first mistake. Thumbsup

Youtube blew up in a mix of adolescent kids and adolescent technology. Which is just hormones and anonymity. Which happens everywhere on teh netz, to a degree...

There's an app for that called go outside.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post