Hughsie vs. Erxy!

Drinking Beverage

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
08-10-2013, 10:04 AM
RE: What's with the hate?
(08-10-2013 09:16 AM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  
(08-10-2013 08:52 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  I don't think that's it. That might be the cultural root of it, but I don't think it's the individual motive. I don't think they're afraid because they understand that science represents a danger to their world view. I don't think they comprehend it's even a threat, much less the nature of the threat. It's simpler than that. They've been told that science is the enemy, so they attack. Us versus Them. Onward Christian Soldiers. That simple.

I'm sure they do. Evolution ultimately undermines the foundation of Christianity.

If there was no Genesis, no Garden of Eden etc... then there was no original sin, and therefore, no reason for Jesus to be the messiah.

Have you ever seen the look on creationist's face when their ideas are really tested? It's borderline panic...

It's the reason Ray Comfort won't release the unedited footage of that film...

Sure. The ones who actually leave the echo chamber long enough to produce distortions to reinforce the echo chamber with? THEY'RE probably scared (or maybe looking to God for guidance, ie grasping at straws, and wondering why He isn't giving a clear answer; or maybe just totally lost to doublethink). But the Ray Comforts of the world aren't the ones leaving YouTube comments. My sense is that most of those comments are from people who don't have the first clue how flimsy the house of cards is, and therefore aren't scared. Just... enemy. Denounce.
08-10-2013, 12:17 PM
i don't see anyone being converted to Atheism , but rather its a self awareness process (evolution of morality).
Its probable every body is subconsciously already an Atheist.
Lashing out with death threats to anything that offends their "god" is like a gay person going on hetro sex bender as a kind of flagellation

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
08-10-2013, 01:44 PM
In addition to all the "haters gonna hate on the internet" already mentioned...

(07-10-2013 08:14 PM)natachan Wrote:  I'm going through YT and I'm finding a bunch of videos with really nasty comments. Now, when the topic is blatantly anti-theistic I can see the point. That's an attack and they feel the need to respond. I don't support what they say or how, but I understand and expect it to a certain extent.

What baffles me is when the issue isn't inflammatory or contentious. There's a video that has an interview and short bio of Stephen Hawking. The video contains no reference to religion or theistic belief, only to his scientific work and his view on the prospects of science in the future. And yet the comments were appallingly hateful, including personal attacks and implications that his ILS was some sort of punishment for blasphemy.

You have to realize that, to believers, that's the worst kind of atheist. While a rude, antagonistic, confrontational atheist will certainly rustle their Jimmies, he will be easily dismissed, and they will come out of the encounter further entrenched in their beliefs. It's the soft-spoken, polite atheist that asks the hard questions and tasks the theists to intellectually honest answers that scares them. That is the type of atheist that is an actual danger to the flock, from their point of view.

The first type will illicit visceral feelings of hatred; the second type will illicit fear and doubt, which will in turn result in hatred.
08-10-2013, 02:17 PM
(08-10-2013 01:44 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  In addition to all the "haters gonna hate on the internet" already mentioned...

(07-10-2013 08:14 PM)natachan Wrote:  I'm going through YT and I'm finding a bunch of videos with really nasty comments. Now, when the topic is blatantly anti-theistic I can see the point. That's an attack and they feel the need to respond. I don't support what they say or how, but I understand and expect it to a certain extent.

What baffles me is when the issue isn't inflammatory or contentious. There's a video that has an interview and short bio of Stephen Hawking. The video contains no reference to religion or theistic belief, only to his scientific work and his view on the prospects of science in the future. And yet the comments were appallingly hateful, including personal attacks and implications that his ILS was some sort of punishment for blasphemy.

You have to realize that, to believers, that's the worst kind of atheist. While a rude, antagonistic, confrontational atheist will certainly rustle their Jimmies, he will be easily dismissed, and they will come out of the encounter further entrenched in their beliefs. It's the soft-spoken, polite atheist that asks the hard questions and tasks the theists to intellectually honest answers that scares them. That is the type of atheist that is an actual danger to the flock, from their point of view.

The first type will illicit visceral feelings of hatred; the second type will illicit fear and doubt, which will in turn result in hatred.

Um, Robby, no offense, but there are like three soft-spoken, respectful ones here I've encountered. Note that when I get flamed for posts like this I'm told I deserve hate and dirty words.
08-10-2013, 02:52 PM
(08-10-2013 02:17 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(08-10-2013 01:44 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  In addition to all the "haters gonna hate on the internet" already mentioned...

Um, Robby, no offense, but there are like three soft-spoken, respectful ones here I've encountered. Note that when I get flamed for posts like this I'm told I deserve hate and dirty words.
I never commented on how many you did or didn't meet. That being said, I've specifically talked to and read posts by quite a few Christians who pretty much said exactly what I did. It's the "smooth talking" (not my words) atheists that are the most dangerous.
08-10-2013, 10:58 PM

This seems pretty close to why
09-10-2013, 03:27 AM
(08-10-2013 10:58 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  

This seems pretty close to why

I think the vitriol streams from anonymity. I don't think this is an Atheist vs. theist thing but then again what do I know.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Knowledge can be given, Understanding must be earned