Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2010, 02:29 PM
What's with "the one"
I can't help to notice something...

Modern life seems to revolve alot around "that one"
Examples:
-In most religions, the believers seem to wait on "the one saviour"
-in a discussion, the one with the best oneliner will outsmart the others.
-almost every pollitical society will have that one leader. Once in charge almost everyone seems to think "This man is going to make it happen"
-Most movie's are about the fight of one man against something.

I wonder...
First, am i mistaken?
Is this new?
Is this tipical for the western society?
Is this something that comes from years of (forced) believing into "the messiah"

We SHOULD know better. Change, salvation, progress, healing NEVER comes from one person alone. I'ts the dynamic of the group that powers this. One person can however be the ignitor.

What do you peopole think about this?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2010, 03:16 PM
RE: What's with "the one"
Well, I could make a big list of all things in culture that involve 'the two' or 'the three', although the amount of listed stuff would probably decrease as the number increases.

Quote:-almost every pollitical society will have that one leader. Once in charge almost everyone seems to think "This man is going to make it happen"
I don't think presidents, kings and such have much political power in the western world anymore, and that's a good thing. But it seems that some need one to be ''the head'', even if the one is ''the head'' only as an icon or because of tradition.

Maybe I've misunderstood you somehow, I don't think I completely got your point. :F

And by the way, Welcomes!

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
08-12-2010, 03:25 PM
(08-12-2010 03:16 PM)Kikko Wrote:  Well, I could make a big list of all things in culture that involve 'the two' or 'the three', although the amount of listed stuff would probably decrease as the number increases.
shoot...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
08-12-2010, 04:05 PM

I'm thinking Autarky or autocratic.
Maybe even fatalistic.
But I'm probably wrong. Tongue
Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2010, 04:13 PM
(08-12-2010 03:16 PM)Kikko Wrote:  Maybe I've misunderstood you somehow, I don't think I completely got your point.
The point i am trying to make. Why does mankind keep falling for the delusion that one word, one man/woman, one idea will make the WHOLE difference. Like if the world is that simple divided in black/white, good/bad.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
08-12-2010, 04:45 PM

Ah, so that's your point.
Yep! I was wrong. Tongue
08-12-2010, 07:51 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2010 07:55 PM by Buddy Christ.)
I don't think that it's "forced on us" or "incorrect" to embrace the power of the individual. Maybe we all read and absorbed Brave New World's message. But likely, it's because America has a history of "one man changing the world." Martin Luther King, Lincoln, Thomas Edison, Michael Jordan, Henry Ford, Rosa Parks, Carl Sagan, Charles Darwin, etc.

There aren't too many groups that can claim the same accomplishments, mainly because with groups there's greater chance for conflict and power struggles. There's a sense of "greater good" and individual ideas have to be accepted by the group, creating a filter of sorts. PETA has become analogous to a terrorist organization and Green Peace became so anti-corporation that co-founder Paul Watson has condemned and abandoned his own group. But that's all just me rambling.

As far as religions and the one messiah, I think that's all just circumstantial. Back in the day, polytheism was the norm and each aspect of nature had its own deity and the Greek gods hadn't yet passed into the "myths" category. Then people took the individual gods that they liked (sun god became Judeo-Christian god) or perhaps theists figured it would be easier to defend just one condensed all-powerful being than having to explain for several.

Btw, I originally thought this was a post on the theory that everything is derived from the number 1. I can't figure out the google search terms to find it, but I know that most things in the universe can be broken down into a state of singularity, in a sort of Number 23 but without Jim Carrey.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
08-12-2010, 08:02 PM

Actually Polytheism (and Pantheism) are not a matter of, back in the day. But rather, are very much a matter of present day. Wink
08-12-2010, 08:14 PM

Perhaps it originates with the fact that man is a tribal/social animal, and most "pack" animals have a pack leader- one individual who stands above the rest.
08-12-2010, 08:16 PM
True, but I was shooting for a "monotheism is a trend of this particular era" over a demographics based approach, seeing as how I would then have to study up on which modern cultures are still polytheistic. I just didn't feel like doing any work since I just woke up. And now, completely unrelated to any topic, I'm going to taco bell, nom nom.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."