What's with the quotation marks ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2015, 12:01 AM
What's with the quotation marks ?
This thread's not really a question. It's more of a venting of my frustration at one of the weakest arguments against science that I know. It has many adherents and seemingly plays to the lowest common denominator. But there are many good and otherwise logical people who fall into its deadly grasp Evil_monster.

It always seems to follow a certain pattern. Someone bloviates about a scientific subject and injects the words "scientific", "science", "proof" (usually proceeded by the qualifier "so called") all in quotes, and somehow the quotation marks negate the math, years of study, and tangible proof...I could go on.

I had a friend who though that way. I asked him, "If I dropped a rock on your head, would it hurt ?". He replied, "Yes".

I then asked him, "If I called it a "rock" instead of a rock, would it still hurt ?"

The second mouse gets the cheese.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like The Drake's post
19-03-2015, 12:06 AM
RE: What's with the quotation marks ?
(19-03-2015 12:01 AM)The Drake Wrote:  This thread's not really a question. It's more of a venting of my frustration at one of the weakest arguments against science that I know. It has many adherents and seemingly plays to the lowest common denominator. But there are many good and otherwise logical people who fall into its deadly grasp Evil_monster.

It always seems to follow a certain pattern. Someone bloviates about a scientific subject and injects the words "scientific", "science", "proof" (usually proceeded by the qualifier "so called") all in quotes, and somehow the quotation marks negate the math, years of study, and tangible proof...I could go on.

I had a friend who though that way. I asked him, "If I dropped a rock on your head, would it hurt ?". He replied, "Yes".

I then asked him, "If I called it a "rock" instead of a rock, would it still hurt ?"

It would only "hurt". Facepalm
[+] 1 user Likes Rik's post
19-03-2015, 12:12 AM
[Image: c08.jpg]

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 10 users Like Nurse's post
19-03-2015, 12:24 AM
(19-03-2015 12:01 AM)The Drake Wrote:  This thread's not really a question. It's more of a venting of my frustration at one of the weakest arguments against science that I know. It has many adherents and seemingly plays to the lowest common denominator. But there are many good and otherwise logical people who fall into its deadly grasp Evil_monster.

Science.....like a rock.
https://youtu.be/ptWZ_t50SjI

19-03-2015, 12:32 AM
(19-03-2015 12:12 AM)Nurse Wrote:  [Image: c08.jpg]

LOL ...At one point those channels were "actually" everything they claimed to be. Gotta love the age of Infotainment. Short on info. Long on tainment.

[+] 2 users Like The Drake's post
19-03-2015, 12:38 AM
History channel used to be more of a war channel than A history channel.
19-03-2015, 12:51 AM
(19-03-2015 12:06 AM)Rik Wrote:  

It would only "hurt". Facepalm

Subject A named Mike
Subject B named Bob

A rock weighing 5 pounds is dropped from a height of 3 feet to impact the skull of subject A. Subject A is rendered unconscious.

After renaming the rock to "rock", the "rock" is dropped with the same parameters to impact the skull of subject B. But since it was "science" instead of science...Bob is just fine.

19-03-2015, 12:59 AM
(19-03-2015 12:38 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  History channel used to be more of a war channel than A history channel.

Propaganda. You would think that the only thing that happened in our past was war. We do seem to be good at it. Imagine if they actually showed "HISTORY" ?

19-03-2015, 04:38 AM
If you want to learn how pawn shops are a rip-off, then The History Channel is the place to be.
19-03-2015, 05:13 AM
(19-03-2015 04:38 AM)pablo Wrote:  If you want to learn how pawn shops are a rip-off, then The History Channel is the place to be.
Not when you're smart enough to befriend the owner....

Last week I bought a set of Carhart bib overalls - new -- for 25 bucks....

Schmoozing pays...

Cool

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.