What's with this "am I being detained" crap?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2017, 03:42 PM
RE: What's with this "am I being detained" crap?
(14-05-2017 03:30 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Of course my anger is overstated but then again I really hate the idea of being set up to be the stooge on somebody's YouTube. I do see it as grounds for a beat down.
In the current political situation it's easy to start treating the government, especially the federal government, as a single oppressive bloc. In fact, much of it is still rational (at this point) and much of it even in a dictatorship would be innocuous. We should save our civil disobedience and ire for the actual overreaches. Inconveniencing you at the California border because you have bananas on board, is not overreach.

So ... I would gladly attend a health care "die in" in front of the office of some Repubtard fuckwad congressperson, but I would not accost them in front of their children while they try to buy groceries. I think there has to be some connection to their professional life and there has to be a line somewhere. The line between principled protest and being a dick is pretty thin.

Another example is that if you attend a town hall you have to listen and not just bellow and shut the whole thing down. All the latter does is feed the notion that it's just hooligans and paid commie agitators rather than actual constituents. Here again ... there's a fine line between "assertive" and just plain "ass".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2017, 04:12 PM
On the other hand you have "cops are always right and can do no wrong" crap.

14-05-2017, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 14-05-2017 06:22 PM by mordant.)
(14-05-2017 04:12 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  On the other hand you have "cops are always right and can do no wrong" crap.
Yeah, there is that. Just the other day I read an interesting inversion of the usual "cop shoots guy in the back for having a bad turn signal" narrative. A cop was called on a domestic dispute situation. A guy had just gotten the boot from his wife. The cop saw that he had a gun, but he was holding it behind his back and was clearly in a defeated posture. He was saying, "just fucking shoot me" to the cop. Correctly, the cop realized the guy was seeking "suicide by cop" and was more a danger to himself than to others. He de-escalated the situation and spoke calmly to him and just about had him convinced to put the gun down and come along when two other cops came roaring up in their cruiser. The guy became agitated again, began waving the gun around aimlessly, and the two new arrivals gunned him down like good little cops.

The first cop was put on administrative leave pending investigation and then fired. The ACLU has now taken up his case, rightly saying that this guy should get a medal for what he did, not have is career ruined. Especially in an environment where cops are routinely shooting people with impunity and doing so much to damage public confidence.

You just can't make this stuff up ...

Let's see ... here's one of the news items, though not the one I read.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
14-05-2017, 06:02 PM
Quote:You just can't make this stuff up ...

This world is so fucking ass-backwards. It's exhausting.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
14-05-2017, 06:25 PM
(14-05-2017 06:02 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
Quote:You just can't make this stuff up ...
This world is so fucking ass-backwards. It's exhausting.
Join the club. Everywhere I read about people thinking these first four months of Trump's presidency is way more exhausting than a whole four years normally is.

Just the fact that people check the news every morning to see what fresh horror awaits them, is a "new normal" that no sane person can be sanguine about. That's over and above the assault on our institutions and body politic.
14-05-2017, 06:50 PM
Yeah. I mean I was content to more or less let Obama go about his business. I didn't know much about his cabinet. I wasn't particularly worried about it. Those were the days. When Obama met with heads of state I didn't take particular interest. This trip Trump has planned, Rome, Saudi Arabia, and Israel...how could you not be scared to death?

Shit. Potential thread hijack. Sorry.
14-05-2017, 06:51 PM
Is America being detained? Sad

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
14-05-2017, 06:54 PM
(14-05-2017 06:51 PM)cactus Wrote:  Is America being detained? Sad

Isn't it true we have the highest incarceration rate in the world?
14-05-2017, 09:39 PM
(14-05-2017 06:54 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
(14-05-2017 06:51 PM)cactus Wrote:  Is America being detained? Sad

Isn't it true we have the highest incarceration rate in the world?

Something like that, and you're one of few remaining countries that execute people and the only western country to do so.

Your whole justice system is fucked up. The issue is you privatized prisons and so it became profitable to imprison people. That's where you went wrong.
But in truth, every aspect of your justice system is flawed severally.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
14-05-2017, 09:48 PM
Yeah

Prisons for profit is horrible

It's shameful. It's like the worst of communism AND capitalism in one big cluster-rape.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post