What's wrong with me?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2014, 11:13 PM
What's wrong with me?
Hello again forum, I self harm a lot it's like my addiction. I've been doing it for over a year now and I have plenty of scars to prove it. I've been trying to quit for 6 months now but I can't seem to defeat it. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to stop cutting myself?
Thank you all!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dustinstig's post
12-07-2014, 07:28 AM
RE: What's wrong with me?
(11-07-2014 11:13 PM)Dustinstig Wrote:  Hello again forum, I self harm a lot it's like my addiction. I've been doing it for over a year now and I have plenty of scars to prove it. I've been trying to quit for 6 months now but I can't seem to defeat it. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to stop cutting myself?
Thank you all!

Perhaps you should begin by determining WHY you cut yourself. Is it out of self-loathing? Because you enjoy the pain? To face your own mortality?

You will need to answer this to yourself before you can stop.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 3 users Like Jeffasaurus's post
12-07-2014, 07:49 AM
Try and work out the reasons - maybe look at counselling if that's a possibility.

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
12-07-2014, 08:22 AM
I definitely recommend going to a counselor who has experience with cutting.

There are quite a few people here with this issue... it's not uncommon.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
12-07-2014, 08:38 AM
Hi,

At a start of this chat you are normal and you can be helped!
I will start with I am not a health care worker but my wife is and she is in psychiatry !
However, I do not want you to suffer! Yep you have a type of depression! And you can get over it!
I know the self harm is not that you like pain but its the control you have over your own body!

I would tell you to see your GP and talk to them first! If you are in the UK you can get a referral to a consultant! However, the USA is set up different. I do not know where in the world you are from.

I will say, if you have gone for such a long time with out self harming you can do this and get better!

Talk to me any time I am on this sight each day! I will listen to every word you tell me!

K:

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!
[+] 2 users Like JONES's post
12-07-2014, 03:01 PM
Hello again. I have therapy but it seems not to work. I blame depression and loneliness
12-07-2014, 03:13 PM
(12-07-2014 03:01 PM)Dustinstig Wrote:  Hello again. I have therapy but it seems not to work. I blame depression and loneliness

It isn't easy to break old patterns. But you've proven you can do harmful things. Lets see if you can do other things? If you tackle things in terms of what you've already mastered...like misery... you can move towards other things to do.
Next stop..... positive.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
12-07-2014, 04:34 PM
(12-07-2014 03:13 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(12-07-2014 03:01 PM)Dustinstig Wrote:  Hello again. I have therapy but it seems not to work. I blame depression and loneliness

It isn't easy to break old patterns. But you've proven you can do harmful things. Lets see if you can do other things? If you tackle things in terms of what you've already mastered...like misery... you can move towards other things to do.
Next stop..... positive.

Thank you Smile this had been one of my favorite posts
14-07-2014, 12:36 AM
Perhaps this won't be a popular view, but I'm going to present it anyway.

When it comes to cutting, I don't personally see what the big deal is. Are you cutting to alleviate emotional pain? To make yourself feel in control for a little while? Because you simply like it?

If the answer to any of these questions is yes, then I have to ask…why stop? I know cutters, and they do it for different reasons. One chick does it because she hates herself and wants to damage her body out of spite. Another does it because she feels powerless and the blade is the only thing she feels she can control about her own pain. Yet another does it simply because she enjoys seeing flesh part and blood flow forth.

People tend to look at cutting as an "Oh god no!" sort of activity because it's physical damage being inflicted upon our bodies, and this goes against our basic survival instincts. They see someone being hurt - or they're hurt themselves - and they want to make it stop out of fear that the life in question might be in mortal danger. But this is an instinctive reaction and not a logical one. People pierce ears or get tattoos or other body modifications all the time and few people bat an eye. The difference with cutting is that it is unconventional, crude and, often times, dangerous.

Personally, I say that if you do it for reasons that are not unhealthy (meaning: not based in emotional torment and you're being safe so as not to accidentally kill yourself), there is little reason to stop unless you truly want to. And if you truly do want to, I recommend tackling whatever adverse emotional conditions are causing you to do it in the first place. It's not the cutting that's the problem. It's the thing that's causing the cutting that's the problem. Just like with me. It's not the beer that's the problem. I love beer. Beer is tasty and a fun hobby and it makes me feel good. It's the fucked up emotional circumstances that surround my excessive consumption that are the problem. Fix the negative circumstances and I can enjoy beer like anyone else without feeling that I'm devoted to it.

If you don't like to cut, but find yourself doing it anyway, then you need to address why.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-07-2014, 12:50 AM
I assume you are seeing a therapist. If you are not, you will most likely find your answer with a therapist who specializes in self-harming and "cognitive behavior therapy."

I wish you the best; you deserve it Hug.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles