What's wrong with the 10 commandments?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2017, 07:46 PM
RE: What's wrong with the 10 commandments?
(26-06-2017 07:26 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(26-06-2017 07:17 PM)unsapien Wrote:  you can only get through to my father...which is me... through me, which is also him. So Jesus puts himself ahead of god! Hobo

And now you made him sound like a bouncer Gasp

You're for it, my friend, I'm afraid - now you've really pissed him off but good.

Though it would def. explain this:

[Image: this-korean-statue-depicts-a-jesus-so-ja...765097.png]

At the detention centre, this is one of the versions of (part of) the bible that the chaplain often hands out to inmates. I guess it's more engaging like this.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThA9bSnykxtTDd6N9C_KY...33etv4v-F3]

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
26-06-2017, 07:48 PM
(26-06-2017 06:25 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  Wait...what's wrong with figs?
I once read, many years ago, that figs (or maybe it was the fig tree) were a symbol for Mithraism, so the whole thing was a dig at a rival religion. I haven't been able to find a reference to that, however, so I may be misremembering it.
[+] 3 users Like LifelongAtheist's post
26-06-2017, 08:06 PM (This post was last modified: 26-06-2017 08:39 PM by Vera.)
(26-06-2017 07:46 PM)yakherder Wrote:  At the detention centre, this is one of the versions of (part of) the bible that the chaplain often hands out to inmates. I guess it's more engaging like this.

Hell's bells and buckets of creep! This is the freakiest thing I've seen in a while (fact that I dislike manga a whole lot ain't helping none either). Ohmy

Also, this has got to be the most obnoxious Jesus ever. Just look at that smug smirk and tell me you're not already reaching for the nearest hammer and nails.

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

[Image: manga_messiah_page_180_by_yugi_dan_yami-d78aewr.jpg]

[Image: mangamess2.jpg] Facepalm

Also, I dare you to look at this Judas and tell me there isn't something homoerotic going on there (and that's before we even get into scary subject of the Italian word for fig and for women's nether regions and how they are the same, or one is a version of/derived from a regional variant of the other) Blink

[Image: judas_iscariot_page_by_dibstarp-d8w225e.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
26-06-2017, 11:39 PM
(26-06-2017 06:01 PM)Leerob Wrote:  So I just saw this question in a YouTube video. The video is 45 minutes long so I can't be arsed to watch it.
But thought it would be fun to collect things that are wrong with the 10 commandments here.

* I will start with the fact that they are not universal for all Christians. Depending on denomination, they are a little different.
* Also the problem with those being the most important and most punishable commandments for Christians but every christian is breaking those rules.
* And what is about all the other commandments in the bible? Are they not important? Stop eating figs for fucks sake Big Grin

Now you

* What God said about thou shalt not rape.
* What God said about thou shalt not own a human as property.
* What God said about thou shalt not commit genocide.
* What God said about thou shalt not punish a free exploration of ideas seeking the truth, so long as it brings harm on no one.

.... in all of those cases, nothing. (Or worse than nothing, if we include context outside of the commandments.)

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
27-06-2017, 12:55 AM
Apart from usual suspects like not having other gods, or celebrating sabath which are just silly religious tripe we have ones which claims woman is but a thing (quite visible in Polish translation) which are just immoral. There is also matter of absolutism in them and thought crime.

Edit: Forgot about commandments that should have been there, like "you will not rape". In short so called commandments are just shit as they're both tyrannical and lacking.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
27-06-2017, 01:06 AM
the bigger problem is that Christians don't even know that they're following the wrong 10 commandments

THESE are the actual 10commandments

The more one asserts their own unquestioned preconceived beliefs, the more demanding I will be for empirical evidence for I will accept nothing else in place of it
[+] 2 users Like Ace's post
27-06-2017, 02:50 AM
Lets have a look see:

1 - You shall have no other Gods but me Sounds a bit bossy to me, there are other gods, or even no gods at all. Sounds like a jealous girlfriend to me
2 - You shall not make for yourself any idol, nor bow down to it or worship it Again just controlling. Why does this matter, really? Like does it weaken god somehow?
3 - You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God. See the above
4 - You shall remember and keep the Sabbath day holy. See Number 2
5 - Respect your father and mother. - Fair enough on this one. Then again, depends on who your father and mother are. I respect my mother, and my step father. I have very little respect for my actual father, but there you go.
6 - You must not commit murder. Kind of goes without saying really
7 - You must not commit adultery. I personally never have, nor would I anyway, so not sure why I need a rule about it. Some people LIKE committing adultery, so try stopping them
8 - You must not steal. Look, I'm not exactly a master criminal, and yes stealing is bad, but mate I've downloading the odd song/movie/whatever over the years, so guess I'm going to hell now.
9 - You must not give false evidence against your neighbor. what is My neighbour is a huge asshole?
10 - You must not be envious of your neighbour's goods. You shall not be envious of his house nor his wife, nor anything that belongs to your neighbour. See point 9

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
27-06-2017, 06:24 AM
(26-06-2017 06:41 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(26-06-2017 06:30 PM)unsapien Wrote:  "You shall have no other gods before me"

God openly admits that there are other gods around that you can choose from.
Because the decalogue predates the finished transition of the OT writings from polytheism to monotheism. The god who authored the commandments was the top dog in a heavenly council. He did not say, "you shall have no false gods" or even "you shall have no other gods". All he cares about is "me first".

Actually El Elyon (Yahweh's father) was Top Dog on the Commandment Committee.
Big Grin

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
27-06-2017, 08:20 AM
(26-06-2017 06:52 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  They lost #11: Don't be a jerk.

Catholics rewrote that one as "Don't jerk it."
[+] 4 users Like Emma's post
27-06-2017, 08:45 AM
(26-06-2017 06:01 PM)Leerob Wrote:  So I just saw this question in a YouTube video. The video is 45 minutes long so I can't be arsed to watch it.
But thought it would be fun to collect things that are wrong with the 10 commandments here.

* I will start with the fact that they are not universal for all Christians. Depending on denomination, they are a little different.
* Also the problem with those being the most important and most punishable commandments for Christians but every christian is breaking those rules.
* And what is about all the other commandments in the bible? Are they not important? Stop eating figs for fucks sake Big Grin

Now you

They're completely arbitrary. How about giving us an objective principle or two for why we shouldn't murder. Because I say so is not good enough.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post