What's wrong with the 10 commandments?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2017, 04:28 PM
RE: What's wrong with the 10 commandments?
(27-06-2017 06:16 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(27-06-2017 05:07 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Gawd gave the 10 commandments to Moses in Exodus 20. After Moses broke the tablets, Gawd gave them to Moses again in Exodus 34... but not really "again" because they weren't the same as the first set. And there is also Deuteronomy 5 with yet another version of Gawd's commandments. Gawd itself doesn't even know its own commandments apparently.

Also, many (if not all) of the 10 commandments illustrate Gawd's needs - something a perfect being wouldn't have.

Exodus 34 is the best set, and the only one called "the ten commandments"

(11) Observe thou that which I command thee this day: behold, I drive out before thee the Amorite, and the Canaanite, and the Hittite, and the Perizzite, and the Hivite, and the Jebusite.
(12) Take heed to thyself, lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land whither thou goest, lest it be for a snare in the midst of thee:
(13) But ye shall destroy their altars, break their images, and cut down their groves:
(14) For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name [is] Jealous, [is] a jealous God:
(15) Lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land, and they go a whoring after their gods, and do sacrifice unto their gods, and [one] call thee, and thou eat of his sacrifice;
(16) And thou take of their daughters unto thy sons, and their daughters go a whoring after their gods, and make thy sons go a whoring after their gods.
(17) Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.
(18) The feast of unleavened bread shalt thou keep. Seven days thou shalt eat unleavened bread, as I commanded thee, in the time of the month Abib: for in the month Abib thou camest out from Egypt.
(19) All that openeth the matrix [is] mine; and every firstling among thy cattle, [whether] ox or sheep,
(20) But the firstling of an ass thou shalt redeem with a lamb: and if thou redeem [him] not, then shalt thou break his neck. All the firstborn of thy sons thou shalt redeem. And none shall appear before me empty.
(21) Six days thou shalt work, but on the seventh day thou shalt rest: in earing time and in harvest thou shalt rest.
(22) And thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.
(23) Thrice in the year shall all your men children appear before the Lord GOD, the God of Israel.
(24) For I will cast out the nations before thee, and enlarge thy borders: neither shall any man desire thy land, when thou shalt go up to appear before the LORD thy God thrice in the year.
(25) Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven; neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of the passover be left unto the morning.
(26) The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring unto the house of the LORD thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk.
(27) And the LORD said unto Moses, Write thou these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel.
(28) And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

Between wanting to see all the young men 3 times a year and worrying about food being left out or prepared in a way he doesn't like it's a very strange set of rules.

The Commandments came from the Egyptian Book of The Dead.
http://dwij.org/forum/amarna/2_cmndmts_b..._dead.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
28-06-2017, 06:16 PM
(26-06-2017 06:01 PM)Leerob Wrote:  So I just saw this question in a YouTube video. The video is 45 minutes long so I can't be arsed to watch it.
But thought it would be fun to collect things that are wrong with the 10 commandments here.

* I will start with the fact that they are not universal for all Christians. Depending on denomination, they are a little different.
* Also the problem with those being the most important and most punishable commandments for Christians but every christian is breaking those rules.
* And what is about all the other commandments in the bible? Are they not important? Stop eating figs for fucks sake Big Grin

Now you

There are only 3 of the 10 that have any importance.

Thou shall not kill, but it really should read 'thou shall not murder'.
Thous shall not steal.
Thou shall not bear false witness.

But we didn't need the 10 Commandments to tell us that. You couldn't have a successful society with out those in place.

But the real problem with the 10 Commandments is not what they say, but what they don't say.

Like:

Thou shall not own another human as property.
Thou shall not rape.
Thous shall not abuse children.

But of course, those things are specifically condoned by Yahweh. So, it is understandable that they are not included.
[+] 4 users Like Simon Moon's post
28-06-2017, 06:27 PM
Hey, Simon Moon, it's been many a moon. Good to see you back Yes

I still remember you as the guy who likes that song I love Blush

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
28-06-2017, 06:56 PM
(28-06-2017 06:27 PM)Vera Wrote:  Hey, Simon Moon, it's been many a moon. Good to see you back Yes

I still remember you as the guy who likes that song I love Blush

Good to be back!

Yes, it's a great song, but I like Marillion's version better than the original.

Go ahead, call me sacrilegious.

[+] 1 user Likes Simon Moon's post
28-06-2017, 07:05 PM
I knew you actually mentioned a cover version, but didn't remember whose! It's a good one, but I like the contrast between the two voices in the original; it has more desperateness and passion, to my ears, at least...

In the meantime, I've gotten to really love this one, too. Really different lyrics, of course, but I think it's a great song Yes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-06-2017, 07:44 PM
(28-06-2017 06:16 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  But the real problem with the 10 Commandments is not what they say, but what they don't say.

Like:

Thou shall not rape.

Those were on the third tablet (commandments 11-15), which Moses dropped and broke.

Hobo
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
29-06-2017, 02:57 AM
(28-06-2017 07:44 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(28-06-2017 06:16 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  But the real problem with the 10 Commandments is not what they say, but what they don't say.

Like:

Thou shall not rape.

Those were on the third tablet (commandments 11-15), which Moses dropped and broke.

Hobo
Moses came down from the mountain and exclaimed: "Behold, I have three tablets containting the 20 Commandme-"
*Drops one which breaks*
"OH BLOODY HELL....The TWO tablets containing the 10 Commandments!"

"Whatever you say, Stone Cold Steve Austin." - Rick