What's 'wrong' with this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2013, 07:27 AM
RE: What's 'wrong' with this forum?
I dont think its about free speech its more about how we get on with each other.
My suggestion would be to create another section of the forum that can only be seen by any logged in members. Give it a name like "Prison" or whatever name everyone wants to call it.

When the occasional idiot/troll arrives and starts behaving in a way that causes huge problems, then a dialect should be brought up between Admin and the "offender"

If a compromise cannot be reached and the "offender" carries on being an idiot then for a short time they should only be allowed to post or make threads in the "prison" part of the forum and have their ability to send PMs removed. This removes the need to ban anybody ever as the section of the forum can only be seen by logged in members of the forum and like "prison" in real life, members dont have to go there if they dont want to and any inclusions members make to that part are the forum are in their own free will and full knowledge of what could be expected.

Your not removing free speech by placing people in "prison" they would of brought it fully upon themselves through their own actions to have got to that stage in the first place, with that the individual needs to take responsibility. They will still have the full ability to say what they want but will be limited to do it to that part of the forum. Members can read and participate but obviously on their own heads. If they want (if possible) maybe they could put the whole section on "Ignore" if they so wanted.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
07-01-2013, 07:33 AM
(07-01-2013 07:25 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(07-01-2013 07:20 AM)Chas Wrote:  I will suggest that a forum be set up that requires approval to participate.

We already have 2 of these, Forum Team Matters and TTA Clubhouse.

We could create a new one, TTA Safe Haven, for non-confrontational posting. You gain admittance after demonstrating that you are likely a good forum participant. You can be tossed out of it if you breach decorum, without being banned from TTA.

Easy peasy, lemon squeazy. Drinking Beverage

Yes but......

Likely the most needy are total newbies. Most who would have been here enough to qualify are not in the "fragile deconverter" situation.

Taking care of deconverters and preventing malignant troll from causing melt downs can be different situations, although the troll will take out the weaker population first.

I see your 'yes, but' and raise you a 'well, then':
Moderators could determine admission of newbies to the TTA Safe Haven on the content of the first post or posts. The user's intro post could be moved or copied there. Many trolls are obvious from the get-go and don't gain admittance; many needy/fragile/whatever posters are obvious.

The TTA Safe Haven would take over much of the function of the intro thread.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-01-2013, 08:22 AM
(07-01-2013 07:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-01-2013 07:25 AM)Dom Wrote:  Yes but......

Likely the most needy are total newbies. Most who would have been here enough to qualify are not in the "fragile deconverter" situation.

Taking care of deconverters and preventing malignant troll from causing melt downs can be different situations, although the troll will take out the weaker population first.

I see your 'yes, but' and raise you a 'well, then':
Moderators could determine admission of newbies to the TTA Safe Haven on the content of the first post or posts. The user's intro post could be moved or copied there. Many trolls are obvious from the get-go and don't gain admittance; many needy/fragile/whatever posters are obvious.

The TTA Safe Haven would take over much of the function of the intro thread.

I like the "Well, then."

Quote: dont think its about free speech its more about how we get on with each other.
My suggestion would be to create another section of the forum that can only be seen by any logged in members. Give it a name like "Prison" or whatever name everyone wants to call it.

When the occasional idiot/troll arrives and starts behaving in a way that causes huge problems, then a dialect should be brought up between Admin and the "offender"

If a compromise cannot be reached and the "offender" carries on being an idiot then for a short time they should only be allowed to post or make threads in the "prison" part of the forum and have their ability to send PMs removed. This removes the need to ban anybody ever as the section of the forum can only be seen by logged in members of the forum and like "prison" in real life, members dont have to go there if they dont want to and any inclusions members make to that part are the forum are in their own free will and full knowledge of what could be expected.

Your not removing free speech by placing people in "prison" they would of brought it fully upon themselves through their own actions to have got to that stage in the first place, with that the individual needs to take responsibility. They will still have the full ability to say what they want but will be limited to do it to that part of the forum. Members can read and participate but obviously on their own heads. If they want (if possible) maybe they could put the whole section on "Ignore" if they so wanted.
Yes, that is something I suggested some time ago in some thread someplace.

On that level, I just absolutely hate when malignant trolls succeed in bringing down an admin. It is their intent from the start, they are not like your misbehaving person who is just different, they are here with the intent of causing melt downs. As far as I am concerned, that is where the buck stops. Whatever principles your forum embraces (like free speech, professionalism etc etc) these trolls just want to destruct it. And they are good at keeping you guessing as to their intent, and at reeling in supporters. Divide and conquer. It's not at all that forum members don't get along, it's that they get sucked into a "divide and conquer" scheme.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
07-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Here's my two cents;

I like the idea of a support section. I've suggested a Personal Issues section before, and I still think it would be a good idea. Therefore, my suggestion is to turn 'Old Threads' into 'Personal Issues & Support'. Anyone can access the section, including guests, and any member can post there. However, being deliberately provocative will be prohibited. Anyone being so will be warned about their conduct, anyone who continues to be so will have their ability to post there removed.

Any opinions on this idea?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 4 users Like Hughsie's post
07-01-2013, 08:53 AM
(07-01-2013 08:50 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  Here's my two cents;

I like the idea of a support section. I've suggested a Personal Issues section before, and I still think it would be a good idea. Therefore, my suggestion is to turn 'Old Threads' into 'Personal Issues & Support'. Anyone can access the section, including guests, and any member can post there. However, being deliberately provocative will be prohibited. Anyone being so will be warned about their conduct, anyone who continues to be so will have their ability to post there removed.

I like the idea and think DLJ is onto soemthing here as well...on darn, I'm siding with the Brits Weeping

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
07-01-2013, 09:02 AM

I think that is too open, and too open to abuse. And why turn OT into PIS???

What problem are we trying to solve?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-01-2013, 09:03 AM
(07-01-2013 08:53 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  l...on darn, I'm siding with the Brits Weeping

Hehehe. Get used to that.

Have you noticed who have the green names now and where they are from?

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
07-01-2013, 09:04 AM

I like that too. Smile

It solves one of the two issues - support of deconverting folk. That suicide attempt Seth was talking about was quite a wake up call for me.

Issue two is malignant trolls with the intent of causing melt down. I keep getting the feeling that no one here is familiar with these guys. They are hackers of another type, they love the power and attention of pitting forum members against each other until the forum melts down. They move from attacking some people to asking for help from others, looking evil to some and eliciting protective feelings from others. Eventually the membership collides and melt down occurs. This is clever, intended manipulation of people's opinions and feelings, taking good care there is a good number of supporters as well as opponents.

Take Leela and Stark. Happily talking about food and joking around, no tension. Perfectly compatible. Enter the divide and conquer scheme - look what happened. So sad, and so unneccessary.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-01-2013, 09:08 AM
(07-01-2013 09:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  I think that is too open, and too open to abuse. And why turn OT into PIS???

I'm not in favour of people having to earn their way in. Like Dom said, the people most likely to ask for support are newbies. Besides, I'm of the opinion that everyone should be treated as innocent until they act otherwise.

Turning OT into PIS just seems to make sense as we have a defunct section sat right there, there's only one page of twenty-five left to be cleared out, that'll take me 5 minutes if that. Why create a new section when we have an unused one already sat right there, exactly where we would put a new section.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
07-01-2013, 09:32 AM
(07-01-2013 09:08 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(07-01-2013 09:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  I think that is too open, and too open to abuse. And why turn OT into PIS???

I'm not in favour of people having to earn their way in. Like Dom said, the people most likely to ask for support are newbies. Besides, I'm of the opinion that everyone should be treated as innocent until they act otherwise.

Turning OT into PIS just seems to make sense as we have a defunct section sat right there, there's only one page of twenty-five left to be cleared out, that'll take me 5 minutes if that. Why create a new section when we have an unused one already sat right there, exactly where we would put a new section.

What section is used or if a new one is created is irrelevant to members at large, it's an organizational admin thing.