RE: What's wrong with this picture
Maybe it's dead. Consider
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
20-04-2017, 07:08 PM
(20-04-2017 06:34 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  Maybe it's dead. Consider
Or doesn't feel threatened. I watched a tiger eat my supply of Oreos once. I made like a tree and tried not to scare it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
20-04-2017, 08:21 PM
(20-04-2017 04:52 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Sadly, cephalopods have a short lifespan and pre-programmed death after mating which really limits their capacity develop their sentience much further. A shame really becase you just know that they'd have truly fascinating philosophy and religion.

They already worship Great Cthulhu though...

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
20-04-2017, 10:03 PM
(20-04-2017 06:30 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(20-04-2017 04:58 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Painful is the least of your worries. That little bastard packs enough tetrodotoxin to bring down you and 18 of your closest friends.

Beautiful as a brightly coloured warning label.

They aren't the only sea creatures that sport tetrodotoxin, many pufferfish fish do as well. In fact Haitian zombie powder is made from the dried organs of pufferfish!

Pufferfish are where tetrodotoxin gets its name from. You also find it in a few amphibians. The reason that all these otherwise unrelated (OK, very distantly related) species have the same very specific toxin is becase it's produced by symbiotic bacteria.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
20-04-2017, 10:18 PM
(20-04-2017 06:34 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  Maybe it's dead. Consider

I'm not certain but I suspect not. Like many cephalopods, this little menace changes colour by expanding and contracting pigmented chromatophores. Most of the time it's pretty drab looking and often mistaken for a small rock, which is unfortunate for everybody concerned when you step on one. That vivid yellow and blue outfit is its pissed-off look that it gets right before it injects your dumb ass with enough poison to drop a horse. I don't know what chromatophores do at death but my suspicion is that they'd relax and those vivid colors that you see in that picture would disappear.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.