What's your country like?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
15-05-2011, 10:25 PM

RE: What's your country like?
As an American, here's something I'd like to know from people of other nationalities, particularly those which enjoy (more or less) democratic governments:

How nationalistic is your country? Do you feel that people there are generally imbued with a sense that your country is the greatest that has ever existed on the face of the earth?

Because that's a fairly prevalent view over here, and many consider it a simple matter of common sense. They fail to realize that we aren't the only "free" nation in the world, that simply because we are the oldest existing democracy (actually, a republic to be precise) doesn't mean that we are the best, and that our dominant political standing in the world has mostly to do with our military strength than any sort of cultural superiority.

The worst thing, of course, is that there has been a push lately to inculcate our children with such nationalistic drivel ("American exceptionalism" is a common euphemism) in our public schools. The state of Texas, currently a stronghold for ignorant conservatism, has a tremendous amount of influence on the content of schoolbooks used throughout the entire country because of the volumes they purchase. And recently they've enacted through state law some disturbing mandates regarding the content of our schoolbooks.
Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2011, 10:36 PM

I'm from America, the land of false hope and disappointment.
15-05-2011, 10:52 PM
I think it's safe to say that any time Canada displays any sort of nationalism that is not related to hockey, it's a reactionary thing against what we perceive as overly intense American nationalism. I may be wrong in that, but it's been my observations.

We're more British in our view, that we generally look on overt nationalism with great suspicion.

For God so loved the world that he arranged for everyone to both have free will and to suffer the terrible consequences of making the wrong choice. Kind of a dick move, God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2011, 11:38 PM
I'm from New Zealand. Right next to Australia, but not part of it.
Over here, you're actually wierd to talk about religion. No one bothers.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
16-05-2011, 01:26 AM
I am from America:

One nation, very divisible by state lines,
with liberty, and justice for some

Ahh see that loop hole they threw ya! They said liberty, they didn't specify how much liberty! Aaaaaah!

Fight the system,

~~~but don't mute the opposition!~~~
16-05-2011, 07:46 AM
Here's another random picture of a random American's discourse with a random Canadian. Pretty much sums the relationship between the two nations patriotism.
[Image: 129121551586447741.jpg]

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
16-05-2011, 09:01 AM
I always saw patriotism/nationalism as just another form of religion.

Believing that your country/religion is better then other because you where born in it
Hiding behind the will of the nation/will of god
Hiding behind religious symbols/flags
Divides more then it unifies

Nothing rational!
Your country sucks just as big as my country but just in a different manner...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
16-05-2011, 11:34 AM

(16-05-2011 07:46 AM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  Here's another random picture of a random American's discourse with a random Canadian. Pretty much sums the relationship between the two nations patriotism.
[Image: 129121551586447741.jpg]

Haha I love artoftrolling.
27-05-2011, 12:40 AM

Thamuz!!!.... I had no idea Belgium was anything like that!! That's nuts.

Malaysia is multicultural as well, and pretty messed up, but not anywhere as messed up as Belgium.
Really love the videos though!

"... smiling faces of those waiting to greet you." - This part is bullshit. They'll only smile of you're a Caucasian tourist... Because embarrassingly, Malaysians especially the Malays, seem to "worship" Caucasian just like many other developing country - or more accurately undeveloped mentality.

"The national language is Malay, but English is widely spoken, making it a breeze for travelers to find their way around..." - This is very true.

I'm actually from East Malaysia, or Borneo Malaysia - Yes, I AM BORNEAN!! Wink Most would think of West Malaysia when the country Malaysia is mentioned. Somewhat like when you mention Britain, the first group of people one would think of are the English, not thi Irish, Scots nor Welch.

The Major races of Malaysia are Malay, Chinese and Indian. But actually these are only true for West Malaysia. In Sabah and Sarawak (the two Malaysian Bornean state), There are many different indigenous races and pre-British occupation immigrant races and languages in Sabah and Sarawak. These is where politics becomes very complicated. The Malaysian government gives special and extra rights to the Malays and not to the Chinese and Indian, because if the "first come first serve" policy - which is obviously not fair. But the problem with this is their inconsistency. Muslims who have no local ancestry could easily attain these special rights, even if the local Chinese and Indians have a deeper history of ancestry in Malaysia.

In West Malaysia, the Malays are synonymous to being Muslims. But because Sabah and Sarawak do not really have Malays (actually Sarawak do), the Malaysian Government too have to give special rights to the ingenious and pre-British occupation immigrant races regardless of their religion. Hence we classify the major race groups into Muslim Bumiputra (indigenous or pre-British occupation immigrant races + Malays), Non-Muslim Bumiputra and Chinese (there are almost no Indians in East Malaysia as well).

I'm from Sabah, Land Below The Wind. Sabah alone has over 50 indigenous races and languages (no, I'm not exaggerating) and there are practically no Malays, but we all speak Malay - but sound more Indonesian when we do, which is the more proper way of speaking Malay. And the worst part is the West Malaysian make fun of us for the way we speak Malay, where in fact they're the one's who can't speak proper Malay. It's like having Americans making fun of how the English speaks English. West Malaysians are also so ignorant that they think of us as savages, still living on caves or jungles hunting and gathering to survive. One dude even asked me if my father carried timber for a living... And he wasn't joking! He really thought this is how it is in Sabah. My father was a law graduate politician back in Sabah!!! WTF!!!... I've been living in KL, West Malaysia now with my parents for many years now.

Us Sabahans and Sarawakians take such high pride in their own land people and Borneo as a whole, if you know what I mean.... Hehe... Some even refer to our country as Sabah or Sarawak instead of Malaysia. Smile

Sorry, the best videos I can find so far are tourism videos only. Sad
27-05-2011, 03:21 AM
Ahh , Romania.
A country you should run away from .... far , far , FAR away.

Our story begins with the Thracian people who were defeated by the Romans who later settled here. It's were our demonym comes from , Rome.
During the middle ages only a few principalities existed that were usually under the authority of either the Austro-Hungarian Empire or the Ottoman Empire. The city were I live was once a border town between the two.
Later the principalities started uniting. We were at our best in the interwar period. The country was at its largest and most developed economically. During the second world war our territories were mostly split up and/or occupied by axis and soviet forces. Then came the communistic period and finally the "revolution". I have trouble saying that since it's just a Coup d'état by one politician over another. Naturally it was the only bloody revolution in eastern Europe. And of course no criminals of the previous regime were punished.

Our country has a very strong history of corruption. From noblemen selling peasants out to foreign powers in the middle ages, to modern days when money just vanishes . And instead of taking money for development freely from the EU we borrow from the IMF. Our own president is rumored to have sold off our entire merchant fleet. FFS
Most of the criminal gangs are led by police officers , and so on ...

Political parties aren't even worth mentioning. We have a tribal culture almost. This political party , these businessmen and this media outlet is tribe A. These ... are tribe B. Positions of political power are bestowed on connections and always change with regime change.

We also have some lovely racism towards roma people. They are usually excluded from society and can be decent folk (like the musician Johny Raducanu) or not so decent. There are times when arrest warrants in gypsy communities are carried out by , no joke , a convoy of about 50 police cars. And there are times when gypsies are chased into a church and the church is burned to the ground.
Then there's the xenophobia towards Hungarians , and the fact that small communities of Hungarians who live in the center of the country want autonomy , and a connection to Hungary (they are about 300 km away) doesn't help. (I live in the western part , close to Hungary so I like them and their goulash)

The terrain is nice.
Danube delta
[Image: Denube_Delta_Bank.JPG]

The Sphinx Natural Rock Formation
[Image: sfinxul.jpg]

The Retezat Peak (highest point 2509 m)
[Image: 1234523851_0.jpg]

I believe a US politician said Romania was a nice country with the only misfortune of being inhabited. He was right.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin