What's your drink?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2017, 11:55 AM
RE: What's your drink?
(14-02-2017 12:06 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(14-02-2017 09:32 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  My local liquor store has a bottle of Macallan 18-year-old "behind the glass" for $269. I'll bet it's pretty tasty, but unless I get a really big bonus or win the lottery, I'll stick to the 12-year-old. It's pretty tasty, too.

I got an 18-year-old bottle as a gift once after doing a favour for some friends.

It was good, no question, but I wasn't that much better than the 12-year-old. I'll stick with the 12-year-old scotch for my money.

So I got curious. There's a whisky bar in town that carries just about everything, and it occurred to me to go down there and get a shot of the Macallan 18, just to see what it's like. Then I looked at their menu. A "1 ounce pour" (less than a shot, I think) is $40 (US); a "2 ounce pour" is a slightly better bargain at $78. Jesus! Not a chance. I can get a whole bottle of the 12-year-old (or many other fine Scotches) for $78 or less. I guess I will never know what Macallan 18 tastes like...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2017, 12:01 PM
(16-02-2017 11:55 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  So I got curious. There's a whisky bar in town that carries just about everything, and it occurred to me to go down there and get a shot of the Macallan 18, just to see what it's like. Then I looked at their menu. A "1 ounce pour" (less than a shot, I think) is $40 (US); a "2 ounce pour" is a slightly better bargain at $78. Jesus! Not a chance. I can get a whole bottle of the 12-year-old (or many other fine Scotches) for $78 or less. I guess I will never know what Macallan 18 tastes like...

Yikes! Shocking They know how to charge, don't they?

Tell you what: If you're ever in my neck of the woods (Southwestern Ontario, Canada) let me know, we'll connect and I'll be happy to treat you to a wee dram.
16-02-2017, 12:17 PM
(16-02-2017 12:01 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(16-02-2017 11:55 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  So I got curious. There's a whisky bar in town that carries just about everything, and it occurred to me to go down there and get a shot of the Macallan 18, just to see what it's like. Then I looked at their menu. A "1 ounce pour" (less than a shot, I think) is $40 (US); a "2 ounce pour" is a slightly better bargain at $78. Jesus! Not a chance. I can get a whole bottle of the 12-year-old (or many other fine Scotches) for $78 or less. I guess I will never know what Macallan 18 tastes like...

Yikes! Shocking They know how to charge, don't they?

Tell you what: If you're ever in my neck of the woods (Southwestern Ontario, Canada) let me know, we'll connect and I'll be happy to treat you to a wee dram.

I will let you know if that's ever happening. I've only ever been to Canada once (a rock climbing trip back in the 90s, but that was central/eastern Ontario), but you never know -- Trump may drive me there yet!
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
16-02-2017, 02:43 PM
I used to drink a TON of soda. Coke was my go-to for years. But for years longer, now, I drink coke zero instead of regular coke.

However, I have cut that back to maybe 1 or 2 cans a day if I'm feelin' crazy. Usually I drink mostly water. At work I'll have my coffee- usually only drink about half of it. Then water all the rest of the day. Sometimes with flavor packs, sometimes just plain ice water.

At home it's usually either water or lemon iced tea semi-sweetened with Splenda. Lots of extra lemon juice. Mmmmm!

Alcohol- if I'm out, whiskey sour. I like sour stuff! At home, lately it's been something like sprite zero with rum and some kind of water flavor for a tasty adult beverage. Or a margarita.
24-03-2017, 02:04 PM
So maybe this is just because I am a filthy gringo but I had never heard of Horchata before a few weeks ago. That stuff is awesome, it is basically liquid rice pudding. It is a drink made from milk and rice that is flavored with cinnamon, apparently it is sold in most grocery stores. Give it a go it is really amazing.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
24-03-2017, 02:53 PM
(24-03-2017 02:04 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  So maybe this is just because I am a filthy gringo but I had never heard of Horchata before a few weeks ago. That stuff is awesome, it is basically liquid rice pudding. It is a drink made from milk and rice that is flavored with cinnamon, apparently it is sold in most grocery stores. Give it a go it is really amazing.

That sounds weird and intriguing. Consider
24-03-2017, 04:01 PM
(24-03-2017 02:04 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  So maybe this is just because I am a filthy gringo but I had never heard of Horchata before a few weeks ago. That stuff is awesome, it is basically liquid rice pudding. It is a drink made from milk and rice that is flavored with cinnamon, apparently it is sold in most grocery stores. Give it a go it is really amazing.

A friend makes Horchata at Christmas time and I agree - amazing! I find Rumchata tastes similar.

I like it all - beer, wine, liquor. I do drink water while at work Tongue

Tonight I'm having Ketel One Citroen with club soda and a little fresh lime. I don't always go for name brand but find Ketel One is the best citrus flavor IMHO.

Cheers!