What's your guilty (musical) pleasure?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2012, 11:17 PM
RE: What's your guilty (musical) pleasure?
(29-08-2012 06:14 AM)ddrew Wrote:  

any fucking questions..? now sit yer ass down!

Epic double bass@ 4:33! Bowing
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2012, 05:25 PM

Yeah, okay, not really. I couldn't think of a guilty pleasure, so I thought I'd post this and say nothing at all, just to be a troll.

Then I remembered this song:

I LOVE the instrumental, hate the lyrics. Specifically "I'm gonna pound ya putang 'til it stinks" <- that line ruins the entire song for me, but I listened to it every now and then because of the instrumental.

Of course, I later found the instrumental for this song on Youtube, so I... *incriminating confession*.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like caffeinesoul's post
15-09-2012, 07:36 PM
I have a few.

1) Kanye West. Can't stand the guy, can't stand his lyrics, can't stand his genre...but god damn his beats are infectious.

2) "LMFAO". Again, can't stand the genre or the stupidity of the overall atmosphere, but few things (speaking very loosely, there) fuel a workout better than the upbeat and repetetive tempo of "Sexy and I Know It".

3) Lady Gaga. ...Actually, not really a "guilty" pleasure. Say what you want about her music; that woman is an artist.

4) "Korn" (2012 - onward). Korn, the dear, sweet, anthem of mine youth, what hath God wraught upon thee? Who hath said unto thee that Dubstep is the path to enlightenment - leaveth alone totality? My dear Korn, I beseech thee, reveal to me the nature of the spell thou hast cast unto me; for while I resent the nonsense of which thou hast taken hold in recent years, I dread to confess, it hath intoxicated my spirit, and rendered mine foot into an inescapable state of thumping, and mine head into eternal bobbing.

5) "Limp Bizkit". I can't stand "rap-rock" and the Bizkit was present in my life during times I'd rather forget, but there's just something about their beat that sticks with me.

6) "The Asteroids Gallaxy Tour". Specifically their song "The Golden Age" from the Heineken commercials. The song is so fruity and ridiculous and sickeningly "pop", but I can't stop listening to it! Outside of this forum, nobody even knows that I have it on my iPod.

7) "The Beatles". I give them a lot of flack for being the highly over-rated band that they are, so if anyone ever found out that I have "A Day In The Life" in my playlist, I'd never live it down.

8) "Bon Jovi". ...I'm not even gonna bother going into this one. Drinking Beverage

9) Katy Perry. Unlike Gaga, she's not an artist, but the thumping bass of "E.T." kicks my eardrum just right. I guess that's what years of pounding Death Metal have done to me. My ears don't care what makes them bleed; just as long as they BLEED.

10) "The Diablo Swing Orchestra". The sinister combination of big-band swing and crunchy Death Metal is too good to be ignored, but there's no way in hell I'd listen to it in my car. I like to think I left the "badass car tunes" phase well behind me in my adolescent years, but upon discovering this band, I realized that apparently I haven't. In a way, most of the groups listed thus far have called to mind an inappropriately humorous phrase for me: "[Insert musical group here] are like fat chicks. Fun to ride, but you don't want your friends to catch you doing it."

11) "The Dark Knight Rises Soundtrack".

"I swear, I'm not a fanboy."

"Then why do you have the soundtrack on your iPod?"

"Shut up, that's why."

12) Selena Gomez. You know, I'm actually still scratching my head wondering why I listen to "Love You Like a Love Song" with the frequency that I do. I'll get back to you on it.
17-09-2012, 04:20 PM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2012 04:23 PM by Logica Humano.)
I listen to rap, hip-hop, funk, jazz, dubstep, drum and bass, electro, house, ambient, experimental, down-tempo, soul, alternative rock, metal, heavy rock, light rock, classic rock, classical, orchestral, filmscore, accapella, techno, trance, glitch hop, blues, industrial, punk, pop, k pop, j pop, and enjoy a good flamenco dance.

etc...

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
22-09-2012, 01:02 PM
(15-09-2012 07:36 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  7) ..."The Beatles". I give them a lot of flack for being the highly over-rated band that they are...

This shows that you are uneducated in music history (not to mention theory) and most likely very young. If you say this in mixed company, you will find that musically literate people will simply tune out (excuse the pun), from anything you have to say about music after this statement.

I did.

"To hate man and worship God seems to be the sum of all creeds." — Robert Ingersoll
22-09-2012, 11:02 PM
(22-09-2012 01:02 PM)Human Being Wrote:  
(15-09-2012 07:36 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  7) ..."The Beatles". I give them a lot of flack for being the highly over-rated band that they are...

This shows that you are uneducated in music history (not to mention theory) and most likely very young. If you say this in mixed company, you will find that musically literate people will simply tune out (excuse the pun), from anything you have to say about music after this statement.

I did.

Hey, at least give him credit for NOT saying anything good about Bon Jovi Tongue
24-09-2012, 02:39 AM
(22-09-2012 01:02 PM)Human Being Wrote:  

I did.

Odd, considering you payed enough attention to squeeze out a response to me Smile

I just personally don't care for The Beatles. Being that musical taste is subjective, for me, they're a highly over-rated band. Historically, lots of people like them, yes. But I'm not going to base any claim of truth on a fallacious appeal to popularity (I'm sure "theologically literate" people will tune out after I mention my atheism...doesn't mean Jeebus is legit.). Especially not when, as I said, we're dealing with tastes that differ from person to person.

You're more than welcome to disagree, in whatever condescending/self-righteous manner you wish. Such is the nature of subjective tastes. Wink

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
25-09-2012, 01:56 AM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2012 02:10 AM by Human Being.)
(24-09-2012 02:39 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(22-09-2012 01:02 PM)Human Being Wrote:  This shows that you are uneducated in music history (not to mention theory) and most likely very young. If you say this in mixed company, you will find that musically literate people will simply tune out (excuse the pun), from anything you have to say about music after this statement.

I did.

Odd, considering you payed enough attention to squeeze out a response to me Smile

I just personally don't care for The Beatles. Being that musical taste is subjective, for me, they're a highly over-rated band. Historically, lots of people like them, yes. But I'm not going to base any claim of truth on a fallacious appeal to popularity (I'm sure "theologically literate" people will tune out after I mention my atheism...doesn't mean Jeebus is legit.). Especially not when, as I said, we're dealing with tastes that differ from person to person.

You're more than welcome to disagree, in whatever condescending/self-righteous manner you wish. Such is the nature of subjective tastes. Wink

But, you didn't say you "didn't care" for the Beatles. If you did, I wouldn't have responded. You didn't even say, "I don't get what the big deal is." You said they are over-rated, which implies what you have some empirical knowledge outside of taste to make what you presented as an objective judgement. I have absolutely no problem with your taste... or lack thereof. Smile

"To hate man and worship God seems to be the sum of all creeds." — Robert Ingersoll
25-09-2012, 02:57 AM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2012 03:27 AM by Misanthropik.)
(25-09-2012 01:56 AM)Human Being Wrote:  
(24-09-2012 02:39 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Odd, considering you payed enough attention to squeeze out a response to me Smile

But, you didn't say you "didn't care" for the Beatles. If you did, I wouldn't have responded. You didn't even say, "I don't get what the big deal is." You said they are over-rated, which implies what you have some empirical knowledge outside of taste to make what you presented as an objective judgement. I have absolutely no problem with your taste... or lack thereof. Smile

Lmao. It implied no such "empirical knowledge". As I said, music is subjective. As such, when I make a claim about it, by default, my claim is subjective in nature.

Therefore, when I said that they are over-rated, this means, by default, that TO ME, they are over-rated.

Additionally, even if your argument were valid (as I've just shown it NOT to be), you yourself just said "or lack thereof". Using your own (flawed) logic, this would imply that YOU have some sort of "empirical knowledge" about what "taste" is, and what it is not.

But, again, musical taste is subjective, and as such, any claims made in regard to it are made subjectively, not objectively. So, when you imply that I have no taste in music, you're speaking subjectively. To YOU, I don't have any taste because I dislike one single band (doesn't make much sense, but ok). Just as to ME, The Beatles are over-rated. We're both right, and we're both wrong.

To restate myself: such is the nature of subjective tastes.

Now, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're not completely illogical. I'll assume (I chose that word carefully) that you already knew that musical tastes are subjective, and that when I made my claim, I was speaking subjectively (or, at least, had some idea of it in your mind). If that's the case, then yes, you DO have a problem with my tastes ("or lack thereof"), and that is why your initial response consisted almost entirely of ad hominem attacks: You said that I am likely very young (which implies a level of naivety about the world - including it's musical "truths"), you implied that I am not "musically literate", and concluded by implying that because I'm not musically literate, anyone listening to me would "tune out"; which implies that my thoughts are not worth listening to. Well, my friend, anyone reading your initial post can see that you clearly DO take issue with my musical opinions, and this prompted you to respond by saying what you did, in the manner in which you did. If this was not your original motive, then I must say, you do a piss-poor job of getting your points across the first time (not once in your original post did I see you mention anything about my "claims of empirical knowledge").

All in all, I'd say you need to fight your way through a few more debates with others. Your objective reasoning; reading comprehension; assesment of intent;...not very sharp.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
05-08-2013, 03:25 PM
(24-09-2012 02:39 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(22-09-2012 01:02 PM)Human Being Wrote:  This shows that you are uneducated in music history (not to mention theory) and most likely very young. If you say this in mixed company, you will find that musically literate people will simply tune out (excuse the pun), from anything you have to say about music after this statement.

I did.

I don't care for the Beatles, either - though my man* Chris Cornell greatly admires them.

As far as my guilty musical pleasures, I dunno. I feel like I have a pretty wide range of likes - dubstep, trip-hop, zydeco, polka, pop, pretty much all types of rock, etc. - but I guess if I had to name one I felt guilty about, it might be polka (or zydeco). People look at you kind of funny if you admit liking them. Shrug.

Also, for the record, I don't really agree with the whole "this is good music" and "this is bad music" thing. People like what they like and that's all there is.

*I may be slightly obsessed with him, lol...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Your musical tools of the trade. Banjo 32 473 30-06-2014 09:59 AM
Last Post: daylightisabadthing
  Any Musical/Poetic Atheists Here? Golbez 16 604 18-07-2013 08:54 PM
Last Post: Golbez
  The late night Buddy show with musical guests Buddy Christ 0 196 19-01-2013 04:32 AM
Last Post: Buddy Christ
  musical readings kunoxian drive 0 152 12-11-2012 09:58 PM
Last Post: kunoxian drive
  Altered musical taste... or getting old. lucradis 15 1,278 16-12-2011 11:53 PM
Last Post: N.O.GOD