What's your ideal afterlife? Make one up!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2011, 11:00 PM
RE: What's your ideal afterlife? Make one up!
I already live for eternity, so why need an afterlife? Let me explain this mathematically:

Between the second I post this post, and the second directly after that, an infinite number of partial-seconds exist. You could split up it however much you want:

2x 1/2 seconds
14x 1/14 seconds
1,000,000x 1/1,000,000 seconds
6.02 x 10^23x 1/6.02 x 10^23 seconds

...you get the point. That is the mathematical explanation. The philosophical explanation is that, it is impossible to truly grasp eternity. Everything seems eternal, it is impossible to have an end in sight. Even if your doctor tells you: you are going to die in 24 hours, you don't KNOW you only have 1 day to live. There is an eternity after this point, and I will continue to exist in that eternity (Law of Conservation of Mass)

Fight the system,

~~~but don't mute the opposition!~~~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2011, 11:39 PM
I'm not sure if I fully agree with / understand your logic.

In the seconds before I was born, an infinite number of partial seconds passed. If an infinite number of partial seconds is equivalent to eternity, how is it possible that I was born? Did an infinite amount of time pass within a quantifiable time span?

If you are to, as you said, live for eternity, then wouldn't it follow that no actions could ever fully be completed? By the time I finish typing this message, an infinite number of partial seconds may have passed, but I can still look at a clock and see exactly how many seconds passed while I was typing.

I won't claim to have a complete understanding of the mechanics behind time, and I'd love some further elaboration.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one
31-03-2011, 01:34 AM

I would personally be interested to be able to see what's happening to the human world, you know, be able to watch my descendants and country develop, with everything playing itself out like a grand movie. Also, being able to drift among clouds of stardust (like a really sweet nebula) would be pretty cool ^.^ Still, as Queen so eloquently said, "who wants to live forever?"
That's a cool point man

(30-03-2011 11:00 PM)latvianxave8 Wrote:  I already live for eternity, so why need an afterlife? Let me explain this mathematically:

Between the second I post this post, and the second directly after that, an infinite number of partial-seconds exist. You could split up it however much you want:

2x 1/2 seconds
14x 1/14 seconds

...you get the point. That is the mathematical explanation. The philosophical explanation is that, it is impossible to truly grasp eternity. Everything seems eternal, it is impossible to have an end in sight. Even if your doctor tells you: you are going to die in 24 hours, you don't KNOW you only have 1 day to live. There is an eternity after this point, and I will continue to exist in that eternity (Law of Conservation of Mass)

Then again, I suppose you could argue that it's possible that seconds can only be divided into so many pieces, just like matter (at least for now) is pretty much divided into atoms

(30-03-2011 11:00 PM)latvianxave8 Wrote:  I already live for eternity, so why need an afterlife? Let me explain this mathematically:

2x 1/2 seconds
14x 1/14 seconds

[/quote]
Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2011, 01:57 AM
I think the Muslims have the best afterlife... 99 virgins and that stuff...

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
31-03-2011, 02:03 AM
(31-03-2011 01:34 AM)Ellems Wrote:  as Queen so eloquently said, "who wants to live forever?"

This phrase is a fragment of the sentence. Queens' actual question is "who wants to live forever when love must die?". The whole point of this song is stating that at some point you will be all alone, and that is what there is no reason to desire. The us in the song is not referring to beings but to a couple. Not really trying to argue with you just thought it was a fun thing to add.

I really found the main topic here confusing because I'm fine with non existence, but I always love to rise to a challenge =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
31-03-2011, 05:14 AM

2x 1/2 seconds
14x 1/14 seconds

I don't think you can divide the second many times after reaching Planck's time. Mathematically you can divide something infinite times, but in practice it's impossible.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
31-03-2011, 07:39 AM
I like GodVirus' answer too. It kind of sucks that we are still decades, if not centuries, away from really physically exploring our own galaxy.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
31-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Swift and smooth time travel!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
02-04-2011, 03:55 AM
Nothing. I'm fine with being dead.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
14-04-2011, 06:44 PM

I would chose either of two things. I might chose the Pastafarian version of heaven. Or just simple re-incarnation, where I can just live a new life and go through all new experiences (but have the knowledge I have now).
Quote this message in a reply