What's your opinion on emotion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2013, 06:11 PM
What's your opinion on emotion
Like, the way of thinking and acting.
Do you think its a distraction for thinking, or useful in order to not be totally cold etc.

I mean, maybe without it, one wouldn't have a personality, but just curious to what you think about it.

Thanks for taking time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnXQdMRi63E
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2013, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 19-10-2013 06:44 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: What's your opinion on emotion
Are we playing 20 questions today ?
How about posting your ideas with the question.

edit : I absolutely HATE emotions.
Dodgy

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
19-10-2013, 06:16 PM
(19-10-2013 06:14 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Are we playing 20 questions today ?
How about posting your ideas with the question.

Just asking ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnXQdMRi63E
19-10-2013, 06:18 PM
Emotion is overrated.
19-10-2013, 06:21 PM
It depends. Everyday life sure, emotion is fine, but when shit goes down you need to fucking focus.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
19-10-2013, 06:25 PM
Emotions are important!

They have evolved with us for eons and each has a purpose.

You should pay attention to them. You can over ride them at times, but at other times they are crucial for the preservation of your mental and/or physical health.

They release chemicals into your body that allow you to cope with specific situations.

When people think of emotions what comes to mind are overly emotional responses, for instance teenage drama and hormonally induced emotional fluctuations.

But in general emotions all have a purpose.

Laughing, and crying for that matter, are highly therapeutic and are even said to help heal physical ailments.

Empathy is important for the survival of the species. Fear and anger are important in self preservation.

And on and on and on.

Suppressing emotions is not the way to go.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
19-10-2013, 06:26 PM
I think its evolutionary, hate anger scares off rivals, fear keeps you away from danger, crying attracts help.
a lot of chicken before the egg conundrum though.

I guess without emotions we would be more like automatons carrying out the biological imperative of eat sleep breed.
Our brain gives us free drugs if we find a happy situation, kills us with suicide if me dwell on the unhappy too much
its all quite above my paygrade Smile

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
19-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Is this a personal issue for yourself? Are you looking for support on the matter?

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
19-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Being positive isn't the best emotion to have all the time though. In fact it is downright delusional. If you're happy and positive all the time you are least likely to see negative things or even listen to negative feedback. You see, that negative feedback can very well save you. Especially in a financial situation or running a business. People think, "oh yeah I can afford that" or "hey the stocks are going down but it will come up eventually" and "hey I lost a lot of money at the tables but I'll make it back, maybe even break even." Just saying you have to be aware of what's going on around you, and what you feel. Don't get bright-sighted. In fact there are numerous corporations hiring in people to come in to increase company morale with dubious means. Also this fear of upsetting the boss with negative news. News that very well could have saved a company.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
19-10-2013, 07:30 PM
(19-10-2013 06:46 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Being positive isn't the best emotion to have all the time though. In fact it is downright delusional. If you're happy and positive all the time you are least likely to see negative things or even listen to negative feedback. You see, that negative feedback can very well save you. Especially in a financial situation or running a business. People think, "oh yeah I can afford that" or "hey the stocks are going down but it will come up eventually" and "hey I lost a lot of money at the tables but I'll make it back, maybe even break even." Just saying you have to be aware of what's going on around you, and what you feel. Don't get bright-sighted. In fact there are numerous corporations hiring in people to come in to increase company morale with dubious means. Also this fear of upsetting the boss with negative news. News that very well could have saved a company.

Great point. I read about a study that showed people with overly positive outlooks don't always handle stressful situations as well as people who acknowledge that bad things just happen sometimes.

As for emotions in general, I think they are important.
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post