What's your opinion on emotion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2013, 07:47 PM
RE: What's your opinion on emotion
(19-10-2013 07:30 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(19-10-2013 06:46 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Being positive isn't the best emotion to have all the time though. In fact it is downright delusional. If you're happy and positive all the time you are least likely to see negative things or even listen to negative feedback. You see, that negative feedback can very well save you. Especially in a financial situation or running a business. People think, "oh yeah I can afford that" or "hey the stocks are going down but it will come up eventually" and "hey I lost a lot of money at the tables but I'll make it back, maybe even break even." Just saying you have to be aware of what's going on around you, and what you feel. Don't get bright-sighted. In fact there are numerous corporations hiring in people to come in to increase company morale with dubious means. Also this fear of upsetting the boss with negative news. News that very well could have saved a company.

Great point. I read about a study that showed people with overly positive outlooks don't always handle stressful situations as well as people who acknowledge that bad things just happen sometimes.

As for emotions in general, I think they are important.

You guys gave me a good answer Smile
Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnXQdMRi63E
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2013, 07:50 PM (This post was last modified: 19-10-2013 07:55 PM by YarMatey.)
(19-10-2013 06:25 PM)Dom Wrote:  Emotions are important!

They have evolved with us for eons and each has a purpose.

You should pay attention to them. You can over ride them at times, but at other times they are crucial for the preservation of your mental and/or physical health.

They release chemicals into your body that allow you to cope with specific situations.

When people think of emotions what comes to mind are overly emotional responses, for instance teenage drama and hormonally induced emotional fluctuations.

But in general emotions all have a purpose.

Laughing, and crying for that matter, are highly therapeutic and are even said to help heal physical ailments.

Empathy is important for the survival of the species. Fear and anger are important in self preservation.

And on and on and on.

Suppressing emotions is not the way to go.
I agree, i mean that doesn't mean i am going to follow the answers here. But it did give me an insight to this more, which i find very useful to think about. I am grateful for the answers here, great support.
Edit: When supressing, it can mean to shut things inside. There are less to worry about that way sometimes, because they are shutted.
Less joy, but helps on some areas and take away other advantages, but life itself will be "meh".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnXQdMRi63E
19-10-2013, 10:21 PM
What's your opinion on emotion
(19-10-2013 06:11 PM)YarMatey Wrote:  Like, the way of thinking and acting.
Do you think its a distraction for thinking, or useful in order to not be totally cold etc.

I mean, maybe without it, one wouldn't have a personality, but just curious to what you think about it.

Thanks for taking time.

I think it is useful for thinking and learning.
If scientists had no emotions, they would not aremuch about
the research they do.
[+] 1 user Likes black_squirrel's post
20-10-2013, 12:23 AM
(19-10-2013 10:21 PM)black_squirrel Wrote:  
Do you think its a distraction for thinking, or useful in order to not be totally cold etc.

I mean, maybe without it, one wouldn't have a personality, but just curious to what you think about it.

Thanks for taking time.

I think it is useful for thinking and learning.
If scientists had no emotions, they would not aremuch about
the research they do.
Yes, its very inspiring work but sometimes they have to be dispassionate about their work. If they're unbridled passion gets in the way they might end up with a new form of acupunctureTongue

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
20-10-2013, 12:41 AM
As mentioned ad nauseam elsewhere, I have SPD which is characterized by an absense of strong emotions and lack of affect, and even weaker emotions tend to be lacking or almost-nonexistent. Anger is the only one I don't seem to have a problem with, but only in certain situations (such as social injustice and dealing with abstract concepts, I've never been able to get angry at a specific person though). I point this out to say that I am not "emotionally-suppressed," but rather, that I don't have much in the way of emotions to suppress. You can't suppress what's not there. The emotions I do have are not ever directed toward people, they are reserved for appreciating things like a great novel or a beautiful painting, or a nice piece of music. I think talking about emotions in such a general way is difficult, because there are so many variables.

wikipedia Wrote:"In psychology and philosophy, emotion is a subjective, conscious experience characterized primarily by psychophysiological expressions, biological reactions, and mental states. Emotion is often associated and considered reciprocally influential with mood, temperament, personality, disposition, and motivation.[1] It also is influenced by hormones and neurotransmitters such as dopamine, noradrenaline, serotonin, oxytocin, cortisol and GABA."
I quote this because, as a person with SPD, I lack affect, probably my nervous system just doesn't dump those neurotransmitters into my bloodstream. Certainly, a lot of them are useful, like adrenaline if you're in danger. Others may be enjoyable, like dopamine and serotonin. If it weren't for oxytocin, parents wouldn't attached to their babies I suppose, and the human race might suffer if all the mothers were just leaving their babies in the woods to die. I can see the positive aspects.

I can understand, on an intellectual level, that emotions serve a purpose and that people even enjoy some emotions (such as being "in love").

On a personal level, I cannot relate to this at all and actually think of it as a weakness and sort of repulsive/distasteful. I compare it to drug addiction, or at least public drunkeness; people seem to be "high" on whatever chemicals their body is dumping into their bloodstream, they don't think logically, they don't respond reasonably when faced with choices. I especially try to avoid people who are "heartbroken" or angry at another person for some personal reason. I cannot fathom why people place so much value on transient chemicals states like being "in love."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-10-2013, 05:26 AM
Emotions are a fundamental part of human experience; there is nothing to them other then biochemistry, but they're extremely important.

A person who is over-emotional, or under-emotional is equally problematic in life.
20-10-2013, 05:33 AM
(20-10-2013 05:26 AM)Juv Wrote:  A person who is over-emotional, or under-emotional is equally problematic in life.
How so? I can understand that people who are overly emotional might run into problems, but I've never had any real problems due to lack of emotions. I certainly can't see how your two examples are "equally problematic," anyway.
20-10-2013, 06:11 AM

Thanks for taking time.

Emotions are so irrational.

The human species would be better off being like the Vulcans of Star Trek... Or at least we need to stop letting emotions guide people as opposed to the intelligence and rational reading.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
20-10-2013, 06:21 AM
(20-10-2013 12:41 AM)amyb Wrote:  As mentioned ad nauseam elsewhere, I have SPD which is characterized by an absense of strong emotions and lack of affect, and even weaker emotions tend to be lacking or almost-nonexistent. Anger is the only one I don't seem to have a problem with, but only in certain situations (such as social injustice and dealing with abstract concepts, I've never been able to get angry at a specific person though). I point this out to say that I am not "emotionally-suppressed," but rather, that I don't have much in the way of emotions to suppress. You can't suppress what's not there. The emotions I do have are not ever directed toward people, they are reserved for appreciating things like a great novel or a beautiful painting, or a nice piece of music. I think talking about emotions in such a general way is difficult, because there are so many variables.

wikipedia Wrote:"In psychology and philosophy, emotion is a subjective, conscious experience characterized primarily by psychophysiological expressions, biological reactions, and mental states. Emotion is often associated and considered reciprocally influential with mood, temperament, personality, disposition, and motivation.[1] It also is influenced by hormones and neurotransmitters such as dopamine, noradrenaline, serotonin, oxytocin, cortisol and GABA."
I quote this because, as a person with SPD, I lack affect, probably my nervous system just doesn't dump those neurotransmitters into my bloodstream. Certainly, a lot of them are useful, like adrenaline if you're in danger. Others may be enjoyable, like dopamine and serotonin. If it weren't for oxytocin, parents wouldn't attached to their babies I suppose, and the human race might suffer if all the mothers were just leaving their babies in the woods to die. I can see the positive aspects.

I can understand, on an intellectual level, that emotions serve a purpose and that people even enjoy some emotions (such as being "in love").

On a personal level, I cannot relate to this at all and actually think of it as a weakness and sort of repulsive/distasteful. I compare it to drug addiction, or at least public drunkeness; people seem to be "high" on whatever chemicals their body is dumping into their bloodstream, they don't think logically, they don't respond reasonably when faced with choices. I especially try to avoid people who are "heartbroken" or angry at another person for some personal reason. I cannot fathom why people place so much value on transient chemicals states like being "in love."

I think people all experience emotions in different degrees, and individuals also change in the way they experience them in the course of a life time. Reduced to an essence, they are just signals that something is wrong, or something is right. Then to soften the impact or increase the ability to cope, they release chemicals. I think you probably have some of these as otherwise you would not react appropriately in various situations. Like if you have a near accident, you likely get adrenalin flowing to heighten attention.

Personally, I am rather stoic and very aware that my emotions are signals my brain sends me to help me react appropriately. If I have a strong reaction, such as crying, it is usually delayed until I am alone. But at the very time the emotion pops up, I am in control.

Emotions can be overwhelming or just nudges, sometimes that depends on the intensity of the situation, sometimes on temporary hormonal balances, and all of it depends on the chemical make-up of the individual.

You say people don't respond logically when emotional - actually, in some situations, emotions release chemicals that sharpen logical thinking and action, like when one goes into "shock". Shock is the result of an onslaught of emotion that signals that something is very, very wrong and they trip the system to where there is absolutely no emotion until the situation has resolved. I was once in a horrible car accident that induced shock - and I went around like a zombie stopping other people's bleeding and trying to fix the situation as best as possible. It was an odd state of total calmness in the face of mayhem. It lasted until it was all over and I was in a motel room. Then I fell apart and cried - and cried - until a different calm came over me, the release of serotonin .

When you say you have no emotions, it makes me wonder whether you actually do not have the chemical reactions, or whether you just do not have the usual physical expressions that come with them. If you don't have the chemical exchanges at all, I wonder if it is a disadvantage at times. Without the sudden release of adrenalin, will you be less efficient in coping with situations that require a heightened state of alertness? Or maybe there is not a complete absence of these chemical exchanges, but rather a selective one?

In any case, we are all a product of evolution and both you and the drama queen are deviations from the norm, and if either variation were more beneficial than the norm, the norm would adjust itself over time to favor these traits. There is no personal responsibility in this. The individual has the basic traits and tries as best they can to adjust their personal life to make the most efficient use of what they have.

We are likely all on a curve in this, in addition to certain specific emotions being more prevalent in some individuals than others.

Personally I relate better to you than to a drama queen.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
20-10-2013, 06:52 AM
@Dom: You're right, I was not referrig to all emotions when talking about people being irrational. I was talking about things like a woman staying in an abusive relationship because she's "in love" with the man and thinks she can change him.

Quote:When you say you have no emotions, it makes me wonder whether you actually do not have the chemical reactions, or whether you just do not have the usual physical expressions that come with them. If you don't have the chemical exchanges at all, I wonder if it is a disadvantage at times. Without the sudden release of adrenalin, will you be less efficient in coping with situations that require a heightened state of alertness? Or maybe there is not a complete absence of these chemical exchanges, but rather a selective one?
I do not have the chemical reactions (which explains rather nicely why I'm incapable of "romantic love"), that's pretty much what SPD is: being in the same unwavering mental state, regardless of circumstances. I've been in car accidents and in dangerous situations and it has never been a hindrance to me.

However, I do think it's not total and complete, I believe myself to be more lacking in situations that normally cause a release of oxytocin, serotonin, and dopamine.

Quote:In any case, we are all a product of evolution and both you and the drama queen are deviations from the norm, and if either variation were more beneficial than the norm, the norm would adjust itself over time to favor these traits. There is no personal responsibility in this. The individual has the basic traits and tries as best they can to adjust their personal life to make the most efficient use of what they have.
I agree it's not beneficial to the species to be like me. For one thing, the species would die out in a generation because no one would be having sex or wanting children. But my question was more on an individual basis, as to why Juv stated that overemotional and underemotional are "equally problematic," because I was interpreting the thread on a more individual basis.

Quote:You say people don't respond logically when emotional - actually, in some situations, emotions release chemicals that sharpen logical thinking and action, like when one goes into "shock". Shock is the result of an onslaught of emotion that signals that something is very, very wrong and they trip the system to where there is absolutely no emotion until the situation has resolved.
Yes, but you're giving an example of people being unable to cope while emotional so they go into an unemotional state to deal with things logically.

Related: many relatives insisted I was in shock when I found my dad after he died. Everyone else was a mess, my mom was threatening suicide and to burn down the house. I went about things normally, helped with the paperwork and dealt with the funeral home. It's not that I didn't experience grief, I did shed a manly tear at the funeral, but I don't experience it the same way as people expect me to, which often causes people to accuse me of being a horrible person at funerals because I'm not crying enough or something. Point being that I was not in shock, I was in my normal state and that is how I respond to things, rather flatly.

I used to work in retail and it was awful. You're expected to feign cheerfulness and it's just not in my nature, so people routinely thought I was trying to be an asshole and hated them personally. Even the ones that liked me always seemed to remind me of my lack of affect and one called me "cold" and "an ice queen." But other than that, I mean, on a day to day basis I don't really suffer any ill effects and I just consider myself a Vulcan and pat myself on the back for being able to deal with all these silly, emotional humans all the time.