What's your personal favorite sore throat cures?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2016, 05:02 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2016 05:09 PM by UndauntedToast.)
What's your personal favorite sore throat cures?
So, on this past Sunday's Super Bowl evening, I took a drink of water and upon swallowing I felt a tinge of pain. "Oh, shit" I thought. It's that pain where you know your damn throat is on the precipice of being sore.

Long story short, ever since that evening, I've dealt with it. No headache, no fever, no body aches (although my back was hurting on Sunday), no hardcore fatigue, no runny/stuffy nose, no rash, no sickness. No classic cold symptoms at all. Just a very debilitating sore throat that mildly aches but feels like a bitch whenever I swallow.Undecided

I've taken two 2-tablet doses of ibuprofen so far (yesterday morning and this morning) and I've been gargling warm salt water throughout the day. I've been dosing some vitamin D3, zinc picolinate and 2 grams of vitamin C for the last couple of days. I would do the honey-apple cider vinegar-lemon juice concoction drink, but I don't have any honey.

Just trying to get better ASAP. Really counting on going out this Saturday morning (despite potential -0 temperatures) with friends I rarely get to see to watch the new Deadpool flick, but not if drinking/eating/etc. feels like razor blades in my throat.

I know this isn't a specialty health forum, but I don't care. There's a lot of good, smart people here. Got any suggestions of your own?

If my grandfather were alive, he'd probably suggest three shots of whiskey a day.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2016, 05:13 PM
RE: What's your personal favorite sore throat cures?
(10-02-2016 05:02 PM)UndauntedToast Wrote:  I know this isn't a specialty health forum, but I don't care. There's a lot of good, smart people here. Got any suggestions of your own?

If my grandfather were alive, he'd probably suggest three shots of whiskey a day.

Listen to your grandfather. Gargle with vodka.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-02-2016, 05:16 PM
My Grandmother was a registered nurse and she always said if you treat a cold it will get better in about seven days, and if you do nothing about it it will last about a week.
[+] 9 users Like DerFish's post
10-02-2016, 05:18 PM
RE: What's your personal favorite sore threat cures?
(10-02-2016 05:02 PM)UndauntedToast Wrote:  So, on this past Sunday's Super Bowl evening, I took a drink of water and upon swallowing I felt a tinge of pain. "Oh, shit" I thought. It's that pain where you know your damn throat is on the precipice of being sore.

Long story short, ever since that evening, I've dealt with it. No headache, no fever, no body aches (although my back was hurting on Sunday), no hardcore fatigue, no runny/stuffy nose, no rash, no sickness. No classic cold symptoms at all. Just a very debilitating sore throat that mildly aches but feels like a bitch whenever I swallow.Undecided

I've taken two 2-tablet doses of ibuprofen so far (yesterday morning and this morning) and I've been gargling warm salt water throughout the day. I've been dosing some vitamin D3, zinc picolinate and 2 grams of vitamin C for the last couple of days. I would do the honey-apple cider vinegar-lemon juice concoction drink, but I don't have any honey.

Just trying to get better ASAP. Really counting on going out this Saturday morning (despite potential -0 temperatures) with friends I rarely get to see to watch the new Deadpool flick, but not if drinking/eating/etc. feels like razor blades in my throat.

I know this isn't a specialty health forum, but I don't care. There's a lot of good, smart people here. Got any suggestions of your own?

Yes, when I had a sore throat, my mother would have given strong hot tea with lemon, honey and whisky... Drinking Beverage
I drink strong hot tea with a shot of strong alcohol- (whisky/vodka/whatever...) If it does not get better test for strep.. I have had strep with a sore throat but no other symptoms... Sometimes too much lemon /asorbic acid can irritate the throat too...
[+] 1 user Likes carol's post
10-02-2016, 05:27 PM
I've always gargled with salt water, but whiskey/vodka probably works too.
10-02-2016, 05:29 PM
cough drops, idk I always kinda like to have em because of it.

My favorite sore threat cures are, realizing that those making the threat are probably suffering from sore throats and that made them frantic.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
10-02-2016, 05:29 PM
(10-02-2016 05:27 PM)pablo Wrote:  I've always gargled with salt water, but whiskey/vodka probably works too.

But after gargling with salt water you do not swallow it, but do not waste the whiskey, swallow it!
[+] 3 users Like DerFish's post
10-02-2016, 05:33 PM
(10-02-2016 05:29 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 05:27 PM)pablo Wrote:  I've always gargled with salt water, but whiskey/vodka probably works too.

But after gargling with salt water you do not swallow it, but do not waste the whiskey, swallow it!

6 or so gargles later you won't notice any sore throat.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-02-2016, 05:40 PM
Just keep sipping hot fluids.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
10-02-2016, 05:43 PM
Keep it warm. Drink tea. Long hot showers where I just sit on the floor of my shower and use up all the hot water or until I begin to look like I'm a hundred years older. And lastly plenty of rest/sleep.