What's your personal favorite sore throat cures?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2016, 05:49 PM
RE: What's your personal favorite sore throat cures?
BC Powder...but I take that for nearly anything that ails me.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2016, 05:55 PM
Whiskey, tea, honey. Aspirin works better for me to relieve all kinds of pain, including sore throat. I can't gargle.

I kind of miss the old formula of Sucrets, because that really did numb things. Not many effective sore throat lozenges (I have tried them all), but they are better than nothing.
10-02-2016, 05:56 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2016 06:02 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Yabut, no other symptoms ... ? you better have someone look at it. What if it's tonsilitis or something you might need an antibiotic for. If it doesn't feel like a sore throat you normally get with a cold, go to an urgent care or CVS walk in cheap care place, and have a nurse or PA look at your throat. "If it's strep throat", (they can do a fast swab test) bla bla bla ,... could have very serious consequences.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
10-02-2016, 06:06 PM
I always make myself a hot whiskey when I have a cold or flu symptoms. Stick a few cloves into a slice of lemon, into a glass, add whiskey and boiling water. Add a tea spoonful of brown sugar to sweeten (optional) or honey to help sooth a sore throat.

[Image: qBEjWId.jpg]

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 2 users Like Marozz's post
10-02-2016, 06:13 PM
I would say drink a cup of tea with lemon and honey. Then chase it with four shots of whiskey. After that, you don't give a f@$& about your sore throat.
[+] 4 users Like jason_delisle's post
10-02-2016, 06:37 PM
You really can't do anything except sooth it until you're better. Warm drinks like tea, hot toddy's or broth are nice but, unless you're diabetic, using hard candy to suck on. Switching back and forth between sweet and tart/sour works well. I like lemon drops and jolly ranchers.

It is coating the throat that makes it feel better. A couple of decades ago I had a ears, Nose and Throat guy tell me to stay away from medicated candy, that they didn't work any better than just candy and cost a lot more.

So, sooth your throat with warm drinks and candy to suck on until it gets better. Also, wrap your neck with a scarf or wear turtleneck shirts as adding the warmth around your neck will help it heal faster, it will also aid the drainage of your lymph nodes.

Get better soon.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
10-02-2016, 07:32 PM
Hot and Sour soup - two or three bowls of it.

And cold beer.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-02-2016, 07:54 PM
My most effective remedy is to gargle hydrogen peroxide, 3%. I use Chap-Stick on my lips first, to keep them from getting dried/fried. I then rinse the peroxide out with a saline solution by again gargling and spitting. Also, I drink warm to hot liquids and hold them in my throat with my head back, as best I can. This makes for an inhospitable environment for those little bastard bugs and they only require one time use of the peroxide, with a few episodes of the saline. Then I dissolve Ricola tablets in my mouth. Sore throats usually last maybe two days for me when I treat them this way.
10-02-2016, 07:58 PM
(10-02-2016 07:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  Hot and Sour soup - two or three bowls of it.

And cold beer.

The Chinese place near us makes hot and sour soup in a quart vat for take out. I'll squirt about a tablespoon of Sriracha in it and eat the whole thing. That also helps scorch those damned bugs into submission- all the way through my gut.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
14-02-2016, 07:01 PM
Hey, I appreciate everybody's responses.

After suffering all week, I finally sucked it up and made an appointment to see my doctor on Friday. He was only working half a day, so I opted to see the nurse practitioner there.

Long story short: she did a rapid strep test (came back negative) and a throat culture. She... prescribed me Prilosec and some liquid lidocaine to gargle. In regards to the Prilosec, she asked me if I had a history of acid reflux (I do not), but I guess she prescribed it as a shot-in-the-dark kind of thing just to see if it would help.

Anyway, the throat pain is still ridiculously painful. It hurts like hell. My tonsils have been enlarged for almost two years now. They are fucking huge. I wish my parents would have opted to get 'em removed when I was a child. They had the opportunity at one point, but apparently the physician or whoever recommended otherwise, so they didn't.

I had mono last January. It was awful. I had a sore throat for a few days, but the worst was the insane fatigue. I'm a constant energy guy, most of the time. I have to be doing something and trying to get something done or else I get antsy and depressed. Well, that... last January... was terrible. I was so tired all I was able to do was rest.

Now? I'm extremely exhausted again. This sore throat is still hurting like hell, my mouth is being run roughshod with blisters and, yeah, the extreme fatigue is overwhelming. I'm so damn tired. I just want to get better. I guess (I hope!) I'll hear back about the throat culture tomorrow, but I really don't have the money (and now, energy) to go back to the doctor. The weather is bad right now, anyway, and thankfully classes for tomorrow have been cancelled.

I wonder if this is mono again. I think my immune system is pure garbage these days. I used to be so healthy and energetic. But that's changed ever since 2014.

I've heard that it's unlikely for mono to resurface, albeit not impossible. I can handle it again, as long as that's what it is. I just hope it's not something ominous. Even the last time I had mono, I didn't have a sore throat last this long.