What's your personal favorite sore throat cures?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2016, 11:09 PM
RE: What's your personal favorite sore throat cures?
I've gotten remarkable results with orange pekoe tea, slightly over-steeped to release more tannic acid, with nothing added to it. (In particular, do *not* add milk to it.) Tastes harsh and bitter, but it seems to work fairly quickly.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2016, 01:29 AM
Used to be it was a snifter of brandy and a good book.

Now, I just eat Halls like they're going out of style.
Find all posts by this user
24-02-2016, 01:57 AM
(10-02-2016 05:02 PM)UndauntedToast Wrote:  So, on this past Sunday's Super Bowl evening, I took a drink of water and upon swallowing I felt a tinge of pain. "Oh, shit" I thought. It's that pain where you know your damn throat is on the precipice of being sore.

Long story short, ever since that evening, I've dealt with it. No headache, no fever, no body aches (although my back was hurting on Sunday), no hardcore fatigue, no runny/stuffy nose, no rash, no sickness. No classic cold symptoms at all. Just a very debilitating sore throat that mildly aches but feels like a bitch whenever I swallow.Undecided

I've taken two 2-tablet doses of ibuprofen so far (yesterday morning and this morning) and I've been gargling warm salt water throughout the day. I've been dosing some vitamin D3, zinc picolinate and 2 grams of vitamin C for the last couple of days. I would do the honey-apple cider vinegar-lemon juice concoction drink, but I don't have any honey.

Just trying to get better ASAP. Really counting on going out this Saturday morning (despite potential -0 temperatures) with friends I rarely get to see to watch the new Deadpool flick, but not if drinking/eating/etc. feels like razor blades in my throat.

I know this isn't a specialty health forum, but I don't care. There's a lot of good, smart people here. Got any suggestions of your own?

If my grandfather were alive, he'd probably suggest three shots of whiskey a day.

I don't have any sore throat cures, which is annoying given that I usually go through about 4 throat infections a year of various types, not including the customary colds and flus...

However, I do have a couple of favoured pain management techniques.

Drink room-temperature lemonade (or as others will know it, lemon-flavoured colas; lemonade is most often a carbonated drink here); it tastes good (to me, but other similar beverages can be used), and the bubbling usually gives me a nice sort of 'scratchy' feeling as I drink which feels good, and I tend to have an easier time drinking those sorts rather than 'smooth' things like water, milk, or tea.

However for soreness proper, nothing I have had beats products like 'Panadeine' (paracetamol and small amount of codeine, counter purchasable where I live) combined with iboprofen and other non-conflicting/doubling pain meds. Well that's a lie, because I've had Endone and that kicks the shit out of everything else I've had for pain relief. But good luck getting stuff of that calibre...

That and sleep.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
24-02-2016, 02:13 AM
Glycerin, lemon and honey my son.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
24-02-2016, 04:07 AM
Drink a 750 ml bottle of anything that's above 80 proof. You'll feel great.

Until tomorrow morning.

Then you can start a "What's the best thing for a hangover" thread.

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
25-02-2016, 03:10 AM
I do bourbon and honey (makes me feel warm and fuzzy after several of those), warm teas, salt water gargles, cough drops... I'll stick to stuff like chicken noodle soup for food.

I love the Chloraseptic spray for numbing.

It certainly is suspicious for reflux seeing as you have no other symptoms and it's still sore. Most viral syndromes complete their course within ten days.

I seriously doubt it's mono unless you're on immunosuppressants or have AIDS...even then...

And as always, friendly advice here, not professional.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
25-02-2016, 09:46 AM
Warmed Chaucer's mead.
25-02-2016, 09:54 AM
A shot of Tabasco sauce and vinegar.

And, though it goes without saying, sacrifice a goat.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
25-02-2016, 10:07 AM
I like agave nectar and hot tea. I also like smoothies and juices from Jamba Juice. Cough drops, sore throat medicine all go without saying. I also do some light restorative yoga. And sleep a lot when I can.

...And I sacrifice a cabbage Wink