What's your plan if civilization collapses within your lifetime?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2016, 07:59 PM
RE: What's your plan if civilization collapses within your lifetime?
Chill man, go with the flow.

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2016, 08:35 PM
(26-03-2016 07:59 PM)Ro3bert Wrote:  Chill man, go with the flow.

You talkin' to me, son? Where you from? I might make a case for a road trip. Tongue
26-03-2016, 09:09 PM
Highly situation dependent. Are we talking about something major like a nuclear war, or something that's more of an annoyance like a zombie apocalypse in which most major infrastructure would still be intact and farmland not contaminated with radiation?

My first order of business would be to rush my family and as much as we could carry to a rural place up north. A secluded enough house that it's not visible as you're driving past, but not necessarily isolated from whatever is left of civilization either. I'd then get immediately to work setting up a few fallback locations a few hours' hike into the woods where I'd bury provisions like weapons, ammo, and non perishable food. I wouldn't fart around with it too long, though, because there's work to be done Tongue

First off I'd get into contact with the largest group of people with the most prospective leverage whose goals are likely to be close enough to mine that starting with them as the basis of a new society would be acceptable. If we're talking about a collapse of the federal government in which most infrastructure is left more or less intact, this would probably be the nearest active duty base or even my own unit if it still exists.

From there, gather intel, form alliances when practical, divide and conquer when not. Claim defensible strategic resources, such as military equipment, arable land, oil reserves, refineries, dams, water reservoirs, industrial equipment, workable mines, etc. Sabotage and booby trap those that are not acquirable and in danger of falling into the hands of adversaries.

Basically... Claim every bit of leverage as quickly as possible while everyone else is busy thinking about the short term and fighting among themselves for whatever is left in the grocery stores. By the time desperate gangs, or people trying to get away from them, begin wandering out of the major metropolitan areas in search of food or other resources, I wanna have the option to either relocate them to a new home where they can become productive members of my new society or meet them with an artillery barrage or an air strike if they aren't willing to cooperate.

My next order of business, once the majority of the country is under the control of myself or whatever group(s) I have allied myself with, and assuming that this catastrophe was 1) worldwide and 2) that a modest portion of the world is still in disorder, begin doing the same thing I just did on a larger scale.

As for cannibalism, as it was previously brought up, I think it would be quite practical in the short term. If, for example, I end up in a scrap with some random adversaries and kill them, and my stockpile of food is non-perishable or at least long lasting items like canned goods or MREs, and I don't yet have a relatively guaranteed source of food for when those non-perishables run out, then the rational thing to do would be to first eat perishable food items like other people. It's just common sense.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
26-03-2016, 09:11 PM
(26-03-2016 09:09 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Highly situation dependent. Are we talking about something major like a nuclear war, or something that's more of an annoyance like a zombie apocalypse in which most major infrastructure would still be intact and farmland not contaminated with radiation?

My first order of business would be to rush my family and as much as we could carry to a rural place up north. A secluded enough house that it's not visible as you're driving past, but not necessarily isolated from whatever is left of civilization either. I'd then get immediately to work setting up a few fallback locations a few hours' hike into the woods where I'd bury provisions like weapons, ammo, and non perishable food. I wouldn't fart around with it too long, though, because there's work to be done Tongue

First off I'd get into contact with the largest group of people with the most prospective leverage whose goals are likely to be close enough to mine that starting with them as the basis of a new society would be acceptable. If we're talking about a collapse of the federal government in which most infrastructure is left more or less intact, this would probably be the nearest active duty base or even my own unit if it still exists.

From there, gather intel, form alliances when practical, divide and conquer when not. Claim defensible strategic resources, such as military equipment, arable land, oil reserves, refineries, dams, water reservoirs, industrial equipment, workable mines, etc. Sabotage and booby trap those that are not acquirable and in danger of falling into the hands of adversaries.

Basically... Claim every bit of leverage as quickly as possible while everyone else is busy thinking about the short term and fighting among themselves for whatever is left in the grocery stores. By the time desperate gangs, or people trying to get away from them, begin wandering out of the major metropolitan areas in search of food or other resources, I wanna have the option to either relocate them to a new home where they can become productive members of my new society or meet them with an artillery barrage or an air strike if they aren't willing to cooperate.

My next order of business, once the majority of the country is under the control of myself or whatever group(s) I have allied myself with, and assuming that this catastrophe was 1) worldwide and 2) that a modest portion of the world is still in disorder, begin doing the same thing I just did on a larger scale.

As for cannibalism, as it was previously brought up, I think it would be quite practical in the short term. If, for example, I end up in a scrap with a some random adversaries and kill them, and my stockpile of food is non-perishable or at least long lasting items like canned goods or MREs, and I don't yet have a relatively guaranteed source of food for when those non-perishables run out, then the rational thing to do would be to first eat perishable food items like other people. It's just common sense.

I would not expect less than several paragraphs on this from the yakherder Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
26-03-2016, 09:13 PM
(26-03-2016 09:11 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(26-03-2016 09:09 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Highly situation dependent. Are we talking about something major like a nuclear war, or something that's more of an annoyance like a zombie apocalypse in which most major infrastructure would still be intact and farmland not contaminated with radiation?

As for cannibalism, as it was previously brought up, I think it would be quite practical in the short term. If, for example, I end up in a scrap with a some random adversaries and kill them, and my stockpile of food is non-perishable or at least long lasting items like canned goods or MREs, and I don't yet have a relatively guaranteed source of food for when those non-perishables run out, then the rational thing to do would be to first eat perishable food items like other people. It's just common sense.

I would not expect less than several paragraphs on this from the yakherder Tongue

I can't help it. Being a paranoid survivalist and world dictator wannabe is my hobby.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
26-03-2016, 09:13 PM
As for cannibalism, I would eat a person before I would eat my dogs or cat Wink

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
26-03-2016, 09:25 PM
Alright. If we're going to be serious I'm heading here.

[Image: farm_zpsgakpxdya.jpg]

Mom was born in the little house just south of the intersection in the middle of the picture. Her grandfather had a water powered grist mill on the waterfall at the bottom of the pic. All the homes in the picture plus several more on the road going northeast belong to his descents. The surrounding land is part of the Cherokee National Forest. Mom and her siblings keep the 40 acre farm that belonged to their parents when they passed. Her youngest brother lives there now, but we all use it to get together on a regular basis. Mom and two of her sisters were preppers before prepping was popular. They have put up a bunch of seed and 5 years (3 months for 20 people) worth of food. This would be the place to be if you could get there.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
26-03-2016, 09:29 PM
(26-03-2016 09:25 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Alright. If we're going to be serious I'm heading here.

[Image: farm_zpsgakpxdya.jpg]

Mom was born in the little house just south of the intersection in the middle of the picture. Her grandfather had a water powered grist mill on the waterfall at the bottom of the pic. All the homes in the picture plus several more on the road going northeast belong to his descents. The surrounding land is part of the Cherokee National Forest. Mom and her siblings keep the 40 acre farm that belonged to their parents when they passed. Her youngest brother lives there now, but we all use it to get together on a regular basis. Mom and two of her sisters were preppers before prepping was popular. They have put up a bunch of seed and 5 years (3 months for 20 people) worth of food. This would be the place to be if you could get there.

Then destroy the bridges on the Hiwassee River to reduce traffic passing through from Atlanta Tongue

'Murican Canadian
26-03-2016, 09:29 PM
(26-03-2016 09:13 PM)jennybee Wrote:  As for cannibalism, I would eat a person before I would eat my dogs or cat Wink

Uh... fricassee of pancreas? Deep-fried crumbed testicles? Fillet of armpit maybe... with mushrooms?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
26-03-2016, 09:31 PM
(26-03-2016 07:49 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(26-03-2016 06:04 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Blink I don't even have a plan for tomorrow.

Join the club LOL. I have a personal adage: Don't do today what you can put off until tomorrow. Works for me.

Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off 'till the day after tomorrow.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post