What's your price?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2013, 03:11 AM
What's your price?
This is not so much addressed at the financially independent adults here but more for the teens...

(28-11-2013 02:48 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  ...
Wanna hear a little story?
When my mother was 15, it was time for her to be confirmed.
Every one else in the family did it the christian way, but my mother refused, because she didn't believe a speck of it.
My grandmother reacted strongly to this, to the degree that she threatened to break my mothers christmas present, a pair of new skis...
My mother was left without a choice and got confirmed the christian way,
Consider
Well, skis aren't cheap.

So... not for actually converting but for just pretending...

At the cost of a lie that will:
a) keep the peace in your family
b) not send you to hell, obviously...

What's your price?

Confused

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-11-2013, 03:15 AM
RE: What's your price?
Principals should be priceless. But .....................

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
28-11-2013, 03:23 AM
(28-11-2013 03:15 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Principals should be priceless. But .....................

... but ... what?

Spill it.

28-11-2013, 03:27 AM
I would suffer the pretense of the confirmation to get new ski's..

I will say the earth is flat for a cigarette.

What I believe does not change regardless of what I am asked to say or do.. I don't see the principal that is being defended. Of course there are limits, I wouldn't teach false ideas to my children regardless of reward, truely damaging things have no pricvce.. sitting through a pointless ceremony doesnt seem that much of a chore for a pair of ski's.
[+] 2 users Like PursuingTruth's post
28-11-2013, 03:36 AM
I got confirmed Lutheran while I was still a Buddhist for the discount (50%) at my daughter's private school. I did save a lot of money and my daughter did learn excellent study habits. They dropped off the fundie deep end though and now she's in public high school with a great science dept.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
[+] 2 users Like NoSkyDaddy's post
28-11-2013, 03:37 AM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2013 09:34 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(28-11-2013 03:27 AM)PursuingTruth Wrote:  I would suffer the pretense of the confirmation to get new ski's..

I will say the earth is flat for a cigarette.

What I believe does not change regardless of what I am asked to say or do.. I don't see the principal that is being defended. Of course there are limits, I wouldn't teach false ideas to my children regardless of reward, truely damaging things have no pricvce.. sitting through a pointless ceremony doesnt seem that much of a chore for a pair of ski's.

I made a similar point earlier against PJ. If I was in prison and pretending to be Christian and giving lip service to Jesus drastically increases my chances in front of the Parole Board? You bet your ass I'll swallow my pride and pretend for a chance at freedom. If the Parole Board is going to be that fucking superficial, I'll play their game to my advantage; it doesn't change the content of my heart or mind.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
28-11-2013, 03:45 AM
Well I caved to family pressure and had my oldest christened.

It was just one of those things.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
28-11-2013, 04:10 AM
(28-11-2013 03:45 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Well I caved to family pressure and had my oldest christened.

It was just one of those things.

If it makes you feel any better, I was baptized as a Catholic just to keep my grandparents (on my father's side) happy, and look at me now! That holy water can't do shit against the power of reason! Big Grin

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post
28-11-2013, 05:34 AM
There are some things you do out of compromise and not necessarily out of principle.

My husband (a non practicing catholic) wants to get any children baptized in compromise to teaching them how to think and not what to think. I told my husband that he can take the kids to church, but I will not allow our kids to feel that catholic shame about themselves or their bodies. Especially the girls. Sexuality will not be something I will allow the church to pervert with their narrow minded understanding of it.

So that's our compromise. And what does splashing some water on him/her really gonna hurt? I'll say what they want me to say if I absolutely have to. Or I can just remain silent while they say what they want.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 4 users Like Cathym112's post
28-11-2013, 07:09 AM
(28-11-2013 03:11 AM)DLJ Wrote:  This is not so much addressed at the financially independent adults here but more for the teens...

(28-11-2013 02:48 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  ...
Wanna hear a little story?
When my mother was 15, it was time for her to be confirmed.
Every one else in the family did it the christian way, but my mother refused, because she didn't believe a speck of it.
My grandmother reacted strongly to this, to the degree that she threatened to break my mothers christmas present, a pair of new skis...
My mother was left without a choice and got confirmed the christian way,
Consider
Well, skis aren't cheap.

So... not for actually converting but for just pretending...

At the cost of a lie that will:
a) keep the peace in your family
b) not send you to hell, obviously...

What's your price?

Confused

I will hold that lie ransom for 100 billion dollars (AUD).

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post