What's your wheels?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
07-08-2015, 06:22 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2015 06:25 PM by onlinebiker.)
RE: What's your wheels?
(07-08-2015 04:45 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  2013 navy blue Harley Davidson 110ci CVO Anniversary Road King (#792/900), named Annie.

1996 "Honda Pure Pearl Red" CBR900RR (being restored), named Rose.

1972 black/silver BSA 750cc Rocket-3 custom Café Racer (still in pieces), named Amilee (ah-MAY-lee).

2004 navy blue Chrysler Sebring V6 Convertible (with "sandalwood" top)...no names for cages, in my world.

(Edited to add names... seemed appropriate.)

Ours are named "#1 through #5" (The Saturn SC2s) "the bike" and "the Chrysler".

Not real imaginative -- but accurately descriptive........

edit to add..

I got to ride a BSA Rocket III back in the mid 80's at a shop in Berkley Ca. -- that had an HPI top end kit, making it 1000cc.... It had Mikuni CV carbs, and an early electronic ignition kit...

Scared the shit outta me...

Whatta monster.

Almost bought it....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
07-08-2015, 06:48 PM
(07-08-2015 06:22 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I got to ride a BSA Rocket III back in the mid 80's at a shop in Berkley Ca. -- that had an HPI top end kit, making it 1000cc.... It had Mikuni CV carbs, and an early electronic ignition kit...

Scared the shit outta me...

Whatta monster.

Almost bought it....

I'm not gonna make the engine too crazy, as the Rocket is already plenty fast for a Café Racer, and I'm more worried about reliability... though I did secure a later model gearbox for it (putting gearshift on the correct side and giving me a 5th gear), and have upgraded to the Mikunis (blasphemy to some, though I never could figure out why... the old Amals suck ass!) and a modern electronic ignition, because no one should ever have to go through the hell it takes to adjust the points on a BSA!

I bought it largely in pieces, with only the engine intact, and so it remains as I design and fabricate the necessaries. The pipes were shot, corroded horribly, as was most of the frame and the (awful!) tank, which is fine because I wouldn't ride anything sporting those in public. Tongue

Luckily, despite all of the above, the engine was mostly intact and even kicked over on the test-bench, wearing the stock headers but no lower pipes, once I installed the new carbs and electronics. (New plugs and a teardown/cleaning, of course.) I'm gonna try to design a set of pipes that incorporate the old Y-header for the center cylinder, in a slightly larger diameter, though I haven't decided if I want to try to make it accept a single exhaust or stick with duals. Right now, I'm looking to find a Norton Featherbed-style frame cheap enough that I don't have to fabricate a whole frame for it, which will be tough enough--with some bracing--to run modern wheels/tires and hopefully accept USD forks. Triple trees, I can CNC no problem. My main debate at the moment is whether I want to run a French Leta tank with a traditional CR tail:

[Image: photovd005_-_Triumph_800_bonneville.jpg]

or to try to fabricate an all-in-one setup something like the Britten:

[Image: 3704558663_88a7314ca8.jpg]

As you can see, it will end up with a huge difference in the end result. Right now the whole thing's on hold until I rebuild Rose to full, original spec, which is proving more difficult than I'd imagined initially, due to my failure to drain the tank (the stabilizer was made to last one year, not nine).

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
07-08-2015, 07:13 PM
Actually what I want next is a nice folding bicycle. Something I can fly with as carry-on luggage, but not like the cheap crappy one I had in China.

Probably a Montague, either the Navigator if I decide to go with a multi-use bike or the Paratrooper Pro if I decide to go with a pure mountain bike. Both run about a grand.

And once my Rav 4 dies, I've got my eye set on a Jeep Rubicon, in an olive drab color kind of like in the picture on the site. And I'd get a brand new one, but I'd probably put a bunch of superficial dents and shit in it and cover it with mud, because fuck shiny cars.

'Murican Canadian
07-08-2015, 07:24 PM
(07-08-2015 07:13 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Actually what I want next is a nice folding bicycle. Something I can fly with as carry-on luggage, but not like the cheap crappy one I had in China.

Probably a Montague, either the Navigator if I decide to go with a multi-use bike or the Paratrooper Pro if I decide to go with a pure mountain bike. Both run about a grand.

And once my Rav 4 dies, I've got my eye set on a Jeep Rubicon, in an olive drab color kind of like in the picture on the site. And I'd get a brand new one, but I'd probably put a bunch of superficial dents and shit in it and cover it with mud, because fuck shiny cars.

I looked at the Jeep Rubicon. I had a hard time deciding between that and the Jeep Compass. I ended up going with the Jeep Compass just because it's a little more compact. The Jeep Rubicon is really nice though Thumbsup

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
07-08-2015, 07:35 PM
(07-08-2015 07:24 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 07:13 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Actually what I want next is a nice folding bicycle. Something I can fly with as carry-on luggage, but not like the cheap crappy one I had in China.

I looked at the Jeep Rubicon. I had a hard time deciding between that and the Jeep Compass. I ended up going with the Jeep Compass just because it's a little more compact. The Jeep Rubicon is really nice though Thumbsup

I kind of like the classic WW2 jeep look lol. I'd probably be good with any of the Wranglers but I'm falling into that first world problem of convincing myself that I need every single feature available.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
08-08-2015, 05:31 AM
(07-08-2015 07:35 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 07:24 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I looked at the Jeep Rubicon. I had a hard time deciding between that and the Jeep Compass. I ended up going with the Jeep Compass just because it's a little more compact. The Jeep Rubicon is really nice though Thumbsup

I kind of like the classic WW2 jeep look lol. I'd probably be good with any of the Wranglers but I'm falling into that first world problem of convincing myself that I need every single feature available.

Mine fools people into thinking it is an older one.....

Of course in a way - it is. Points, coils, four wheel leaf suspension - solid front axle -- carburetor and no anti-pollution stuff.......

The paint job helps -- sorta an off green/brown job that looks camo (it's actually because the dufus did it with a roller -- I don't credit him with genius for achieving the effect)

It'd probably blend in a war movie -- certainly up to Viet Nam -- except for the right hand drive....... And it's an 1983..... But then, despite it's look - it's not a Jeep. It's an AM General DJ-5L.... A Post Office contract truck....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
08-08-2015, 05:35 AM
(07-08-2015 06:48 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  [
I'm not gonna make the engine too crazy, as the Rocket is already plenty fast for a Café Racer, and I'm more worried about reliability... though I did secure a later model gearbox for it (putting gearshift on the correct side and giving me a 5th gear), and have upgraded to the Mikunis (blasphemy to some, though I never could figure out why... the old Amals suck ass!) and a modern electronic ignition, because no one should ever have to go through the hell it takes to adjust the points on a BSA!

Have you seen the new "Rocket III"??? It's a Triumph, not a BSA.....

Overkill, was obviously the project goal.... 2300 ccs....

The biggest production motorcycle engine ever... (Don't say "Boss Hoss" -- those are automotive engines..)

edit to add...

Do the points static - instead of dynamic. It only takes 5 minutes, and it's just as accurate.

08-08-2015, 08:38 AM
(07-08-2015 07:35 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 07:24 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I looked at the Jeep Rubicon. I had a hard time deciding between that and the Jeep Compass. I ended up going with the Jeep Compass just because it's a little more compact. The Jeep Rubicon is really nice though Thumbsup

There are a couple of old CJ-5s running around here which make me want to buy and restore one.
08-08-2015, 08:44 AM
(08-08-2015 08:38 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 07:35 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I kind of like the classic WW2 jeep look lol. I'd probably be good with any of the Wranglers but I'm falling into that first world problem of convincing myself that I need every single feature available.

There are a couple of old CJ-5s running around here which make me want to buy and restore one.

Those are cool Thumbsup

[Image: 1966_Jeep_CJ5_For_Sale_Front_resize.jpg]

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
08-08-2015, 09:00 AM
I wouldn't paint it rattlecan green, though!