What's your wheels?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
16-03-2016, 08:37 AM
RE: What's your wheels?
(10-10-2015 09:19 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  
(10-10-2015 09:02 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Yes

At this point, most electric cars are, in fact, coal powered by default, since that is where most power still comes from. They are dirtier and less efficient than your typical gas guzzler. In other words you're not driving a more environmentally car, you're just relocating the carbon emissions to make you feel better among those ignorant enough to not understand how it works. And in the process you also create a dependence on lithium, yet another scarce resource.

Don't forget that the process of producing these vehicles creates more carbon pollution than it could ever offset

I once read the same thing about wind mills and their towers and turbines, as well as solar panels. What does anyone know about that?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2016, 09:03 AM
(16-03-2016 08:16 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 06:18 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The SO and I have picked up a couple more cars.....

We got a 1997 Saturn SL2 -- with only 61,000 miles on it - and zero rust.

[Image: 3980040002_large.jpg]

And the latest --

A 2002 Saturn SC2 three door (a rear seat door, behind the driver's door) --- with 150,000 miles and no rust. Now if I can just get the SO out of it, I'll get to drive it.....

[Image: st2002sc2coupe01.jpg]

This makes for Saturn #7 we've owned (still own 5).

Those things are the worst to have coming up beside you at night... The headlights are so close together that it looks like any other car does much farther back... Except it's not far back.. It's already beside you. Do you find you get cut off more than with other vehicles?
+

Hadn't ever thought of it -- but I know what you're talking about -- the running lights (not the headlights) on the SL are a bit odd... I believe the Alero is the only other vehicle that has them like the SLs.. I can spot an SL a half mile away during daylight hours due to the running lights being so close to each other.

The only time it's dangerous like you're saying is at dusk... Nighttime, the running lights are off, and the headlights are on, and look like any other car.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
09-06-2016, 05:58 AM
Not MY wheels -- just the ones I've been working on the last month or so.....

When I met my S.O. -- she was driving a red 96 Saturn SC2. (I was driving a red 95)....

About a year after she moved in - the engine lost compression on the #3 cylinder. The car had over 300,000 miles on it. So, she drove Saturn #4.. (we're up to 8)....

Saturn #1 (her 96) sat in the barn, collecting dust -- waiting for me to get time to do some work on it.. In addition to the engine, it had other problems....

So......

It got - a new engine. (one I'd previously rebuilt - and put 3000 mile on, before putting it up) All new motor mounts. New wheel bearings, control arms, CV joints, struts, all brake components including new rubber hoses. New belt, hoses, plugs, EGR, PCV...The driver's side door had a broken regulator (manual) and rust in the window jam... (I suspect the door had came from another car) -- locks needed to be changed. Ect, ect, ect......

She put insurance and plates on it yesterday - and we both took it for a test drive.... It really rides like a new car.... Virtually no body rattles, tracks straight, brakes excellent. The cornering is unreal, flat as a pancake....

She drove it to work today, for the first time in a long time.....

Next -- it needs to be checked for alignment - some body work done, and repainted - and the windshield replaced.

By the time we get done with it -- we'll have almost $3000 into a 20 year old car.....

Dumb, you think????

Considering the body is almost free of rust - and all the running gear is new -- and she's not going to drive it in the winter, ever ---- it should last at least another 20 years................... Maybe another 300,000 miles..

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
09-06-2016, 07:14 AM
(09-10-2015 10:06 PM)skyking Wrote:  we have a pair of MK IV diesel beetles for daily driving.
2007 3500 SRW 4x4 6 speed shortbed Dodge w/Cummins
2005 Honda Pilot, -SOLD
1996 2500 Dodge w/Cummins, for sale
09-06-2016, 08:48 AM
When I drive I drive my mothers 2004 Ford Taurus.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
09-06-2016, 08:54 AM
(09-06-2016 08:48 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  When I drive I drive my mothers 2004 Ford Taurus.

It's funny how many young guys I meet who are lackadaisical at best about vehicle ownership......

Back in the day, a guy would just about kill to own his own....

09-06-2016, 08:57 AM
(09-06-2016 08:54 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 08:48 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  When I drive I drive my mothers 2004 Ford Taurus.

It's funny how many young guys I meet who are lackadaisical at best about vehicle ownership......

Back in the day, a guy would just about kill to own his own....

It's not that I don't want my own car, it's just having a hard time getting a job to get one. Instead of going crazy about it, I keep my cool and just do what I can do to get there.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
09-06-2016, 09:05 AM
Good attitude. That same drive to own your own wheels involves a whole lot of spinning the metaphorical wheels of life. Lots of agony, high insurance rates, not investing in long term things like a house, etc.
Keep it up!
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
09-06-2016, 09:12 AM
A couple month ago I bought a Volvo wagon. I loooooooooooove this car. It's the first car I've ever fallen in love with. HeartHeartHeart
Every other car I've owned was just a means of transportation. The seats in this car are the most comfortable I've ever sat in. They're heated but also provide incredible support to the lower back. It's a nifty car.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
09-06-2016, 09:15 AM
As I get older the seat comfort becomes number 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>everything else.
Our beetles are very very good, far better than the Camry and Honda Pilot they replaced. The truck seats were broken down and i spent $500 on some newer seats that required a little retrofitting. So worth it.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post