What's your wheels?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-08-2016, 01:10 PM
RE: What's your wheels?
(12-08-2016 11:11 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  Too many projects, the shop is full of customer cars, and I have a 260Z of my own getting a Ford Coyote motor and 6 speed manual, with a s/c...

Hell yes!!! Thumbsup Sounds like an awesome project.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-08-2016, 02:53 AM
Quote:That El Camino is beeeautiful... drool. How much to sell and ship to Australia? Big Grin

Which donk have you got in it? 1978 model?

Thanks! You can't see in those pics, but I airbrushed copper ghost flames into the hood stripes. People give me the old "duracell battery" crap, lol, but it's a fun car...truck...err...

I stayed pretty mellow with the El Cam, it was intended to be a daily driver, although it seems to stay parked a lot...we just have too many cars around here. I built a 383 stroker for it out of a 4 bolt main 350, with a fairly rad cam....412 lift, .292 duration. Aluminum heads with 2.02 valves, Holley Terminator self tuning injection and a vortech centrifugal supercharger. It dyno'ed at 630hp at 5700 rpm, a little under what I expected, but the terminator system is just so drivable, I'll live with it as-is. Just a beefed up and shift kitted turbo 350 behind it, running 3:73's to make it more highway friendly. New interior, no crazy mods just black leather. Removed stock cluster and installed auto meter set. Gutted the original BS ac system and went with vintage air Gen IV. Kenwood deck with MATS 1000 watt amps, one mono block and one 4 channel, pushing 2 10's and 2 6x9's and 2 6 1/2's.
Flaming river rack, painless wiring harness, Hotchkiss suspension with airbag overloads for rear...pretty basic by our standards, but then, these used MY money, not the customer's, lol.
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
13-08-2016, 03:09 AM
(12-08-2016 01:10 PM)ohio_drg Wrote:  
(12-08-2016 11:11 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  Too many projects, the shop is full of customer cars, and I have a 260Z of my own getting a Ford Coyote motor and 6 speed manual, with a s/c...

Hell yes!!! Thumbsup Sounds like an awesome project.

Thanks, this is my 3rd Z, I just burnt out on stangs, been building em since 1980 or so. Originals and fox bodies.

First 240Z I did a wide body kit and put a 3 rotor mazda turbo rotary in it, tuxedo black, lots of fun. Second 260z got a ferrari body kit and an aluminum blocked 306, Ferrari red, with a Tremec TKO behind it. Rotary car was like riding a motorcycle, 10K shifts, all rpm...306 version all lower end grunt, very muscle car feel. This one- I'm hoping- will be the best of both worlds. We'll see! Going with a rally car conversion, in chrome yellow I think...still debating color. If the damned customers would all go away I'd have a lot more time for my rides...Evil_monster
13-08-2016, 01:25 PM
(13-08-2016 02:53 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  I stayed pretty mellow with the El Cam, it was intended to be a daily driver, although it seems to stay parked a lot...we just have too many cars around here. I built a 383 stroker for it out of a 4 bolt main 350, with a fairly rad cam....412 lift, .292 duration. Aluminum heads with 2.02 valves, Holley Terminator self tuning injection and a vortech centrifugal supercharger. It dyno'ed at 630hp at 5700 rpm, a little under what I expected [...]

Uh... "mellow" LOL. Is that 630 horses f/w or r/w HP? Whatever, makes me jealous; my baby's only giving me 310HP at the flywheel.

[Image: DSC00010.jpg] ... I still love her though.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
13-08-2016, 03:51 PM
Got Saturn #9 home.....

As expected --- (although I was hoping for otherwise) -- the engine is toast....

After getting it up on the lift -- I found a fist sized hole in the back of the crankcase.... I'm assuming a connecting rod cut loose..... (other than that - the body looks good)

So -- I'm looking for another engine.... Found one used one - for $450 - free shipping (from PA.) that's the right year.. (97)..

That's probably what I'll go with.... I've got two 96 engines -- but both need rebuilds.

If I get a running engine - I can have this one up and running in just a few days - and not tie up the lift for an extended period. Besides -- I've still got a bunch of work to do on the S-10 pickup I just picked up - and Saturn #7 needs a valve job.......

busy, busy, busy.....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
13-08-2016, 03:55 PM
(13-08-2016 02:53 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:That El Camino is beeeautiful... drool. How much to sell and ship to Australia? Big Grin

Which donk have you got in it? 1978 model?

Thanks! You can't see in those pics, but I airbrushed copper ghost flames into the hood stripes. People give me the old "duracell battery" crap, lol, but it's a fun car...truck...err...

I stayed pretty mellow with the El Cam, it was intended to be a daily driver, although it seems to stay parked a lot...we just have too many cars around here. I built a 383 stroker for it out of a 4 bolt main 350, with a fairly rad cam....412 lift, .292 duration. Aluminum heads with 2.02 valves, Holley Terminator self tuning injection and a vortech centrifugal supercharger. It dyno'ed at 630hp at 5700 rpm, a little under what I expected, but the terminator system is just so drivable, I'll live with it as-is. Just a beefed up and shift kitted turbo 350 behind it, running 3:73's to make it more highway friendly. New interior, no crazy mods just black leather. Removed stock cluster and installed auto meter set. Gutted the original BS ac system and went with vintage air Gen IV. Kenwood deck with MATS 1000 watt amps, one mono block and one 4 channel, pushing 2 10's and 2 6x9's and 2 6 1/2's.
Flaming river rack, painless wiring harness, Hotchkiss suspension with airbag overloads for rear...pretty basic by our standards, but then, these used MY money, not the customer's, lol.

630 HP??

Dayum....

If I put that in an SC2 (rated 125 hp from the factory) -- I could just add a few inches of spoiler - and I could fly instead of drive....

Tongue

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
16-08-2016, 04:16 AM
Quote:Uh... "mellow" LOL. Is that 630 horses f/w or r/w HP? Whatever, makes me jealous; my baby's only giving me 310HP at the flywheel.

310 is respectable! Apples and oranges. The whole basis for my shop is high-hp restomods, I used to be perfectly happy with 3-400 hp, but after building these overpowered toys for customers for so long, you just get used to doing things a certain way. The majority of our customers want to break the 1000hp mark, because that's what put my shop on the map. The truth is, unless you're in the UAE somewhere or some sections of the autobahn, there's nowhere you can use 1000 ponies. In most cases it's even too much for the track- it's mostly bragging rights and showing off the dyno report. Trying to put 1000hp to the road...you'll spend as much on suspension and tires and gears and tranny to handle/transmit that power as you do on the engine, if not more.

The el cam is 630 at the rw, the only dyno I have access to is the "rolling road" sort. Very occasionally a customer will want a crate engine, which has flywheel hp posted, but usually we dyno it ourselves at the wheels. The setup on the el cam is a very familiar formula, and should have netted closer to 750, I'm not certain why it fell a bit short, but it's more than enough. We rarely run turbo 350's anymore, but with the upgrades I wouldn't expect a 100+ hp loss, but...maybe.

Love your green machine!
16-08-2016, 04:21 AM
Quote:After getting it up on the lift -- I found a fist sized hole in the back of the crankcase.... I'm assuming a connecting rod cut loose..... (other than that - the body looks good)

Ah...dontcha hate the bay-windowed block. Sad

No worries though, you'll get her back on her feet I'm sure. Somebody probably mistreated it, better to know now than find out on the side of the road after you pointed it towards a vacation getaway or something.
16-08-2016, 04:42 AM
Quote:630 HP??
Dayum....
If I put that in an SC2 (rated 125 hp from the factory) -- I could just add a few inches of spoiler - and I could fly instead of drive....

Initially we planned to just build nice cars with decent performance, but the first full build we did was an Opel GT, painted royal purple with some body mods to capitalize on the mini-corvette look. The idea for the car was the over-the-top hot wheels cars, crazy out of proportioned fantasy car sort of thing.

We basically gutted the car, put a 1000 hp Ford 396 (bored and stroked 351 windsor with a root blower) and a TKO 5 speed in it with a 9 inch rear diff, and air conditioning, stereo system, nice custom interior and even gps/nav/backup camera. The customer won every car show he took it to, it looked surreal. Our phones started ringing off the hook, and we became that crazy shop that puts 1000hp in everything, although that really isn't true. We did build an 800hp V8 Miata though. Thumbsup

We've done a Honda CRX rear wheel drive conversion with a 3.8 twin turbo V6, a mid engined 68 vw bug with a 650 hp chevy 350/auto, several V8 converted RX-7's...it's just what we fell into. In a lot of ways it's easier than building a hotter version of that car, because we gut it, plasma torch everything we don't want off, then go back in with what we need...there isn't really much of the original car left, in most cases.

Cool
16-08-2016, 04:42 AM
(16-08-2016 04:16 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:Uh... "mellow" LOL. Is that 630 horses f/w or r/w HP? Whatever, makes me jealous; my baby's only giving me 310HP at the flywheel.

310 is respectable! Apples and oranges. The whole basis for my shop is high-hp restomods, I used to be perfectly happy with 3-400 hp, but after building these overpowered toys for customers for so long, you just get used to doing things a certain way. The majority of our customers want to break the 1000hp mark, because that's what put my shop on the map. The truth is, unless you're in the UAE somewhere or some sections of the autobahn, there's nowhere you can use 1000 ponies. In most cases it's even too much for the track- it's mostly bragging rights and showing off the dyno report. Trying to put 1000hp to the road...you'll spend as much on suspension and tires and gears and tranny to handle/transmit that power as you do on the engine, if not more.

The el cam is 630 at the rw, the only dyno I have access to is the "rolling road" sort. Very occasionally a customer will want a crate engine, which has flywheel hp posted, but usually we dyno it ourselves at the wheels. The setup on the el cam is a very familiar formula, and should have netted closer to 750, I'm not certain why it fell a bit short, but it's more than enough. We rarely run turbo 350's anymore, but with the upgrades I wouldn't expect a 100+ hp loss, but...maybe.

Love your green machine!

Even on the autobahn ist not that easy. Although we have no general speed limit, we do have lots of local ones (near exits for example, or passing any major city). Add to this, lots of "puny" 2-300HP "stock" cars running "only" 200km/h while you are popping up with 300 in their mirrors. I see this every day. You need to look for times and places with low traffic to be able to do 200+ sustained.

OR

There is always this madness: Nürburgring Nordschleife.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse