What's your wheels?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
16-08-2016, 04:55 AM
RE: What's your wheels?
Quote:Even on the autobahn ist not that easy. Although we have no general speed limit, we do have lots of local ones (near exits for example, or passing any major city). Add to this, lots of "puny" 2-300HP "stock" cars running "only" 200km/h while you are popping up with 300 in their mirrors. I see this every day. You need to look for times and places with low traffic to be able to do 200+ sustained.

OR

There is always this madness: Nürburgring Nordschleife.

Oh yes, I have run the 'ring many times- love that track. I just wish I could have it to myself, on open days you're trying to make your best time in whatever road gobbler you brought, and Hans in his grandmother's diesel BMW is having fun trying to break his last week's record, lol...it's a pretty unsafe mix of fast and slow and what the hell was that!

I remember back in the 80's, there was quite a bit of open road where you could get crazy on the autobahn, but as towns grew, I guess the areas with speed limits have gotten closer and closer together. Kind of a shame, but traffic has gotten worse too, so it's probably for the best. Sort of the end of an era, though. Dodgy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2016, 11:58 AM
(16-08-2016 04:42 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:630 HP??
Dayum....
If I put that in an SC2 (rated 125 hp from the factory) -- I could just add a few inches of spoiler - and I could fly instead of drive....

Initially we planned to just build nice cars with decent performance, but the first full build we did was an Opel GT, painted royal purple with some body mods to capitalize on the mini-corvette look. The idea for the car was the over-the-top hot wheels cars, crazy out of proportioned fantasy car sort of thing.

We basically gutted the car, put a 1000 hp Ford 396 (bored and stroked 351 windsor with a root blower) and a TKO 5 speed in it with a 9 inch rear diff, and air conditioning, stereo system, nice custom interior and even gps/nav/backup camera. The customer won every car show he took it to, it looked surreal. Our phones started ringing off the hook, and we became that crazy shop that puts 1000hp in everything, although that really isn't true. We did build an 800hp V8 Miata though. Thumbsup

We've done a Honda CRX rear wheel drive conversion with a 3.8 twin turbo V6, a mid engined 68 vw bug with a 650 hp chevy 350/auto, several V8 converted RX-7's...it's just what we fell into. In a lot of ways it's easier than building a hotter version of that car, because we gut it, plasma torch everything we don't want off, then go back in with what we need...there isn't really much of the original car left, in most cases.

Cool

I thought an Opel GT with an EcoBoost 4 cylinder would make an interesting project as well.

I have too many ideas and not enough time....
16-08-2016, 02:13 PM
Quote:I thought an Opel GT with an EcoBoost 4 cylinder would make an interesting project as well.

I have too many ideas and not enough time....

Exactly! I love some of these smaller engines american car companies are FINALLY building...european cars have been whupping our butts with half the displacement for years, it's about time. I'd like to see a new SVO mustang using the new tech....lighten up the car, build a 500 hp turbo 4, and spank some V8's, lol.

I ended up with a Lexus, so I rebuilt the 4.0 aluminum V8 with some upgrades, and twin turbo'ed it. It sits here on a stand, with a 6 speed auto trans behind it, and I can't decide what to stuff it in to. I'd really like to do a V8 RWD mini cooper, but the nose is so short...have to do some measuring before diving into that.
16-08-2016, 02:17 PM
I always loved the Opel GT. Its mini corvetty style was and is awesome. Too bad there never were many.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
16-08-2016, 02:23 PM
(16-08-2016 02:17 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  I always loved the Opel GT. Its mini corvetty style was and is awesome. Too bad there never were many.

For some odd reason they all ended up in Texas...it's pretty easy to find a decent project car here. Restored ones bring blood- I've seen just a factory resto bring $15,000 and custom jobs well north of 30K. But we bought the one we used for the grape (we called it the grape) from a local salvage yard, in really good shape, for $800.
16-08-2016, 02:26 PM
Although its a german car, i have seen so few......maybe 10 in the past 20y, literally. But still, lots of people know this car here. Its definitely unique and a classic, no doubt.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
16-08-2016, 03:04 PM
I'm curious to see what comes of this:

The 2016 Opel GT concept debuted on January 27, 2016.[6] Built on an all-new compact rear-wheel-drive platform, the GT has a lightweight construction and stripped down interior. Power comes from a turbocharged 1.0-liter three-cylinder engine producing 145 hp with a 6-speed semi-automatic gearbox.

The concept features historic design cues associated with Opel's past products; the twin tailpipes with the GT wordmark in the middle are reminiscent of those on the original 1965 GT prototype.

The car made its first public debut on March 1 at the 2016 Geneva Motor Show. A production version has been conjectured to follow in 2018, commemmorating the 50th anniversary of the original Opel GT's unveiling in 1968, and Opel hasn't ruled out the possibility.

Original

[Image: 14bt9wi.jpg]

2016 Concept

[Image: 208wpxk.jpg]

Not bad, if they don't flub it up moving to production.
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
16-08-2016, 09:03 PM
There was an awesome action picture of a V8 Opel at the drag strip. flexing so much in the launch that it spit the windshield out in front of it. The picture captured the windshield in mid air a few inches from the body.
16-08-2016, 10:59 PM
(16-08-2016 09:03 PM)skyking Wrote:  There was an awesome action picture of a V8 Opel at the drag strip. flexing so much in the launch that it spit the windshield out in front of it. The picture captured the windshield in mid air a few inches from the body.

LOL I've seen that. In fact, our "grape" probably would have done that, or at least cracked it, even with the subframe connectors we built for it. But I used to own a car stereo/tint/alarm shop, and we always installed these rubber gaskets to hold the windshields in, rather than the silicone. They allowed the windshield to breathe, when you installed a really crazy stereo system. Basically it flexes in and out similar to a speaker cone. We pretty routinely install the windshields using the rubber gasket to protect against torquing the frame and busting or even ejecting the screen...which can be embarrassing, lol.
17-08-2016, 06:26 AM
(16-08-2016 02:23 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
(16-08-2016 02:17 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  I always loved the Opel GT. Its mini corvetty style was and is awesome. Too bad there never were many.

For some odd reason they all ended up in Texas...it's pretty easy to find a decent project car here. Restored ones bring blood- I've seen just a factory resto bring $15,000 and custom jobs well north of 30K. But we bought the one we used for the grape (we called it the grape) from a local salvage yard, in really good shape, for $800.

$800 is a steal. The few you can find in Ohio for that price are damn near rusted to the ground.