What's your wheels?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
30-01-2017, 02:58 PM
RE: What's your wheels?
(30-01-2017 02:20 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(30-01-2017 01:16 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I picked up a 1994 S-10 Chevy pickup a few months ago......

Got it cheap... It had a horrible knocking in the engine. I suspected it was probably either the alternator or the power steering pump.

I talked to a friend of mine, who knows the guy who sold me the truck -- and he was convinced it was a connecting rod going bad ---- which would mean an engine rebuild.... So he got rid of it to the first sucker to come along with 900 bucks.....

I changed it out -- $94 for a rebuilt alternator --- eliminated the knock and it runs great. Tracks true down the road - the tires are all good. It didn't have a spare - but a buddy of mine had one - so I got that for free (with good tread on a steel rim)....... Everything works - except the heater selector -- so it's stuck on defrost -- but gets plenty warm inside.

A bit rusty -- but it's going to be a work truck for bombing around the woods - picking up maple syrup.

[img][Image: 102_1017_zpsthyuulkd.jpg][/img]

Only thing left to do -- is go pick up some steel - -and build a "road warrior" type brush guard (something decidedly more functional than pretty)......

And yes -- the four wheel drive works wonderful....

My eldest son had an '88 Olds Cutlass Ciera that came down with a horrible knock that turned out to be the harmonic balancer. Happy to see that an alternator fixed yours; that's pretty inexpensive.

Yup... Drove it around a bit today -- and got a rumble in rear end, when taking off or applying power under load.... Doesn't do it when cornering (without accelerating) -- so I'm guessing it's a u-joint.... I priced 'em -- 13 bucks.... I'll stick it up on the lift tomorrow and put a new one in and see if that cures it..... Other than that --- seems to roll pretty good...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
30-01-2017, 03:02 PM
(30-01-2017 02:02 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(30-01-2017 01:28 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Never been into crotch rockets -- but that's a seriously good looking bike.

Not gaudy, not stupid looking.

It just looks like it's ready to do business....

Cool

Thanks.

Brand new out of the box it had about 96 hp, which isn't over the top but it's enough to make you crap your pants if you don't know what you're doing.

Not so great for long extended rides though (5+ hours). Next bike will be a cruiser, perhaps a Yamaha V-Star or similar. Easier on the backside.

It wasn't that long ago (in my lifetime anyway) that a bike with over 75 hp was a serious contender. Most of the bikes I rode way back when were under 50 hp.... A 74 cubic inch (1.2 liter) Harley only put out 60 hp.

Anything approaching 100 hp was considered insane.....

Of course those were pushrod engines, carburetors, points ignition, and drum brakes. Farm equipment....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
30-01-2017, 03:55 PM
(30-01-2017 03:02 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(30-01-2017 02:02 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Thanks.

Brand new out of the box it had about 96 hp, which isn't over the top but it's enough to make you crap your pants if you don't know what you're doing.

Not so great for long extended rides though (5+ hours). Next bike will be a cruiser, perhaps a Yamaha V-Star or similar. Easier on the backside.

It wasn't that long ago (in my lifetime anyway) that a bike with over 75 hp was a serious contender. Most of the bikes I rode way back when were under 50 hp.... A 74 cubic inch (1.2 liter) Harley only put out 60 hp.

Of course those were pushrod engines, carburetors, points ignition, and drum brakes. Farm equipment....

Big Grin
Münch Mammut 2000 prototype.
2000ccm, 286HP

[Image: DSCN2162.jpg~original]

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
30-01-2017, 06:16 PM
My wheels have been completely overhauled Big Grin
Rebuilt engine and transmission, new clutch, injectors, high pressure pump. Some 2011 alloys that were the lightest stock wheels on the diesel Rams.
I put free spin hubs on the front and re-geared it to 3.42 earlier this year. I did a 320 mile run to look at trailers for a friend, mostly at 60 MPH. This got me a little over 24 MPG.
30-01-2017, 07:24 PM
(30-01-2017 06:16 PM)skyking Wrote:  My wheels have been completely overhauled Big Grin
Rebuilt engine and transmission, new clutch, injectors, high pressure pump. Some 2011 alloys that were the lightest stock wheels on the diesel Rams.
I put free spin hubs on the front and re-geared it to 3.42 earlier this year. I did a 320 mile run to look at trailers for a friend, mostly at 60 MPH. This got me a little over 24 MPG.

As much as I dislike the stench of diesel, that kind of mileage makes me want to use one. I have a '70 Chevy 3/4T truck with a 400 cu in big block that will pull the load, but gets 9 mpg in town and 13 on the highway (pulling a travel trailer). It's getting tired (rebuilt over 100k miles ago), and I'm considering an LS engine and a 4L80e. I could drop the rear axle to a lower ratio and take advantage of the OD. I know guys getting 18 MPG with that setup in their rigs. I would buy a wrecked truck and strip all the goodies, because I'd need everything. It would be a lot cleaner under the hood, too.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
30-01-2017, 07:45 PM
(30-01-2017 07:24 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(30-01-2017 06:16 PM)skyking Wrote:  My wheels have been completely overhauled Big Grin

As much as I dislike the stench of diesel, that kind of mileage makes me want to use one. I have a '70 Chevy 3/4T truck with a 400 cu in big block that will pull the load, but gets 9 mpg in town and 13 on the highway (pulling a travel trailer). It's getting tired (rebuilt over 100k miles ago), and I'm considering an LS engine and a 4L80e. I could drop the rear axle to a lower ratio and take advantage of the OD. I know guys getting 18 MPG with that setup in their rigs. I would buy a wrecked truck and strip all the goodies, because I'd need everything. It would be a lot cleaner under the hood, too.

My first vehicle ever -- in 1976 -- was a 1970 C-10....

Smile

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
31-01-2017, 02:41 AM
I've been without a motorcycle for over a year now, and it's kinda driving me nuts.

I want to do something really stupid, like get an old Honda XR-650L street legal four-stoke trail bike, and make it into a super motard.

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

Put street tires on it, lowered front and rear suspension (I'm 6" tall, and even I have to tip-toe straddling a stock XR650L), would prefer an aftermarket seat to go with it. That bike would pop a wheelie in third gear with my fat ass on it. Those single cylinder 650cc engines are fucking bullet proof and have a nice powerful torque curve.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
31-01-2017, 02:45 AM
(30-01-2017 03:55 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(30-01-2017 03:02 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It wasn't that long ago (in my lifetime anyway) that a bike with over 75 hp was a serious contender. Most of the bikes I rode way back when were under 50 hp.... A 74 cubic inch (1.2 liter) Harley only put out 60 hp.

Big Grin
Münch Mammut 2000 prototype.
2000ccm, 286HP

HP is a byproduct of RPM [ horsepower = (RPM x Torque) / 5252 ], a true measure of an engine's power is torque. High revving sport bikes have lots of HP, but they do that through said revs, they lack the gobs of torque you get from sheer displacement.

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
31-01-2017, 05:48 AM
(31-01-2017 02:45 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(30-01-2017 03:55 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Münch Mammut 2000 prototype.
2000ccm, 286HP

HP is a byproduct of RPM [ horsepower = (RPM x Torque) / 5252 ], a true measure of an engine's power is torque. High revving sport bikes have lots of HP, but they do that through said revs, they lack the gobs of torque you get from sheer displacement.

Which applies more to plowing fields, than running 1/4 miles..........

Big Grin

31-01-2017, 06:31 AM
(31-01-2017 05:48 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(31-01-2017 02:45 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  HP is a byproduct of RPM [ horsepower = (RPM x Torque) / 5252 ], a true measure of an engine's power is torque. High revving sport bikes have lots of HP, but they do that through said revs, they lack the gobs of torque you get from sheer displacement.

Which applies more to plowing fields, than running 1/4 miles..........

Big Grin

Last time I checked, dedicated drag bikes were all large displacement monsters.