What's your wheels?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
28-02-2015, 11:17 AM
RE: What's your wheels?
Opel (Saturn) Astra 2005 with a radio dead for more then a year now.
I don't care 'bout that , it only bothers me when my wife is in the car with me coz then she sings Sadcryface

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Slowminded's post
28-02-2015, 11:23 AM
(28-02-2015 11:17 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Opel (Saturn) Astra 2005 with a radio dead for more then a year now.
I don't care 'bout that , it only bothers me when my wife is in the car with me coz then she sings Sadcryface

You can pick one up for short money at a junk yard an auto-recycler.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-02-2015, 03:09 PM
(28-02-2015 11:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-02-2015 11:17 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Opel (Saturn) Astra 2005 with a radio dead for more then a year now.

George Carlin would not approve.

While true, buying basic stereo head-units is very cheap these days thanks to China and the internet. Pick up one on Amazon or the like and you will get a lot more features than the OEM stereo had to offer a a cheap price., and without the hassle of having to pull it out of a junkyard and risk having it not work. With a bit of googling you can likely install it yourself and save even more money. It's a pain, but it's worth learning to do for most people, IMO.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
28-02-2015, 03:47 PM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2015 03:51 PM by Slowminded.)
(28-02-2015 11:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  

(28-02-2015 03:09 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(28-02-2015 11:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  You can pick one up for short money at a junk yard an auto-recycler.

George Carlin would not approve.

While true, buying basic stereo head-units is very cheap these days thanks to China and the internet. Pick up one on Amazon or the like and you will get a lot more features than the OEM stereo had to offer a a cheap price., and without the hassle of having to pull it out of a junkyard and risk having it not work. With a bit of googling you can likely install it yourself and save even more money. It's a pain, but it's worth learning to do for most people, IMO.

I already have a new one , sitting in the trunk for months, right next to the new rearview mirror that also needs replacing.
I'm just procrastinating like a champ.

It's not the kind that you just plug in and stuff it in the hole , it has to be coded to the car's computer and display , so it needs a professional.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
28-02-2015, 11:04 PM
(28-02-2015 03:47 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(28-02-2015 11:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  You can pick one up for short money at a junk yard an auto-recycler.

(28-02-2015 03:09 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  George Carlin would not approve.

I already have a new one , sitting in the trunk for months, right next to the new rearview mirror that also needs replacing.

It's not the kind that you just plug in and stuff it in the hole , it has to be coded to the car's computer and display , so it needs a professional.

Fucking Saturns! This thread on saturnfans.com may be of use to you if you decide to go for it. FYI after doing a bit of reading here and on the forums at http://www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk it seems that at least a fair amount of folks had issues after having it done by 'professionals' as well, so I'd make sure you communicate with and research your installer as well. Good luck!

01-03-2015, 05:11 AM
(28-02-2015 11:04 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(28-02-2015 03:47 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  I already have a new one , sitting in the trunk for months, right next to the new rearview mirror that also needs replacing.

Fucking Saturns! This thread on saturnfans.com may be of use to you if you decide to go for it. FYI after doing a bit of reading here and on the forums at http://www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk it seems that at least a fair amount of folks had issues after having it done by 'professionals' as well, so I'd make sure you communicate with and research your installer as well. Good luck!
Thanks Dark, I'll check it out. Problem with stereo seems to be common on Saturn's.
Otherwise I'm quite happy with it. For 5 years I didn't really have any problems with it.

I'll be getting a new one soon. I want a Volvo S60 but I can't afford a new one Confused

01-03-2015, 07:39 AM
(01-03-2015 05:11 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(28-02-2015 11:04 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Fucking Saturns! This thread on saturnfans.com may be of use to you if you decide to go for it. FYI after doing a bit of reading here and on the forums at http://www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk it seems that at least a fair amount of folks had issues after having it done by 'professionals' as well, so I'd make sure you communicate with and research your installer as well. Good luck!
Thanks Dark, I'll check it out. Problem with stereo seems to be common on Saturn's.
Otherwise I'm quite happy with it. For 5 years I didn't really have any problems with it.

I'll be getting a new one soon. I want a Volvo S60 but I can't afford a new one Confused

We collect Saturns. Popup headlight SC2's to be precise. We have a 94, two 95's and two 96's. The early Saturns were a different breed. Very advanced for the time and very well built. I can do pretty much all the service on them. About the only thing I'm not yet set up for is pressing the wheel bearings - which require a special service tool. I'll probably eventually build one. I even have a complete set of FACTORY (not haynes or chilton) service manuals for 95 - which covers almost all of 94 and 96 as well. There are only minor electrical, intake manifold, and a couple sensors different between years. My ol' lady drives one to work daily - 70 miles round trip. She wracked up over 300,000 miles on her first one - which I'll be doing an engine swap on this spring. Funny thing - 4 of 'em are red. The most popular color for those. It makes touch up paint easy.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
01-03-2015, 09:07 AM
(01-03-2015 05:11 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(28-02-2015 11:04 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Fucking Saturns! This thread on saturnfans.com may be of use to you if you decide to go for it. FYI after doing a bit of reading here and on the forums at http://www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk it seems that at least a fair amount of folks had issues after having it done by 'professionals' as well, so I'd make sure you communicate with and research your installer as well. Good luck!

"Volvo's Certified Pre-Owned program is ranked #1 by IntelliChoice."

My last 3 BMWs were used pre-owned cars. Getting a 'certified pre-owned' car is usually worth the extra few bucks because you get an excellent warranty.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-03-2015, 11:07 AM
(01-03-2015 09:07 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-03-2015 05:11 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Thanks Dark, I'll check it out. Problem with stereo seems to be common on Saturn's.

"Volvo's Certified Pre-Owned program is ranked #1 by IntelliChoice."

My last 3 BMWs were used pre-owned cars. Getting a 'certified pre-owned' car is usually worth the extra few bucks because you get an excellent warranty.

I hate that bit of marketing jargon -- "Pre owned"....

If it followed the rules of English usage - rather than the Orwellian doublespeak -- "Pre-owned" would mean a brand new car -- one that had not been owned yet - that is - it exists in a state that is previous to having been owned.

What you're really buying? A "Post owned" -- i.e. USED car......

Never trust a lawyer, a junkie, or a used car salesman.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
21-03-2015, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2015 04:47 PM by daniel1948.)
This is my car. A "Very Orange" 2010 2.5 model Tesla Roaster.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 3 users Like daniel1948's post