What should I do?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2012, 05:31 AM
RE: What should I do?
(15-02-2012 04:43 AM)Malleus Wrote:  
(15-02-2012 03:57 AM)Karl Wrote:  Some good advice, and some I’m not sold on.
You have “come out” good, but don’t now cower back in if it gets a little hot.
You made the jump, it was hard and you did it out of respect for your parents and yourself, don’t throw that away just because it snaps at your ankles now and then.
They’ll come to terms with who you are or they wont, it’s in the open and no back-tracking will wind the clock back.

Good on you for being honest with them.

As a general rule, I don't panic when an 8 year-old tells me that he is in love with his teacher, I reserve judgment when a pre-puberty child comes out as gay and i don't pull out lifetime membership forms whenever a rebellious teenager comes out as a minority of any kind. In a great majority of cases they don't stay that way, so why bother?

Sure, atheism is slightly more serious than that, but when the parents "didn't like the concept" and they asked a rhetorical question he seems to have buyer's remorse.

If he is willing to go back to the closet, he was never ready to come out to begin with. Staying out will only get worse, he'll start seeing some real consequences and before long he'll say that he used to be a "devout atheist" (where have I heard that before?) but then he found Jesus and everything made sense again. If he's not willing to go back on his decision, maybe he'll start growing a thicker skin.

Either way, I don't really care if he stays in or out. Why do you? I'm just laying out his possibilities. How is that worse than pushing the choice you believe to be right without knowing him, his reasons for becoming and atheist, his reasons for coming out etc?

Yea, fair enough

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2012, 06:15 AM
(15-02-2012 05:31 AM)satan69 Wrote:  Tell your parents your not their puppett. If that doesn't work, tell them you want to kill them, but explain to them before they die, that you are just sending them to heaven early.

That's kinda extreme, don't you think Sad

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2012, 08:39 AM

(14-02-2012 08:15 PM)Scott D Wrote:  I have recently told my parents I'm an atheist. They rhetorically asked is this what they got for not sending me to church. It seems as if they don't like the concept of me not being the same as them. I'm still young and am only a junior in high school, so it's not like I have a college dorm I can live in. I love my parents, but them not being tolerant of my stance worries me. They don't force me into church or are zealots or anything, I'm just nervous. I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me advice on how I could/should handle this situation. Thank you.

If discussions ever get heated, loud or angry. Just know its your folks acting out of a primitive need to protect you (evolution baby!).
YOU, however, do not need to raise your voice above a whisper. No matter what 'supposed' facts you may have. The louder they get (if they get loud) the quieter you get. Facts are unimportant to them now.

I am a dad of 3 teens and its EASY, so damn easy, for me to blow my top.

The natural feeling of 'I've failed as a parent' thing will subside.
I would, however, expect some propaganda to be headed your way. In the form of books, possible sudden visits to the house by a local preacher, or even a sudden NEED of your parents to start going to church (with you in tow).

If they stay calm and WANT to discuss your new found Non Faith, then calmly describe your path and decision. This is the time that facts should be brought up, if you feel the need.

Best of luck,
D
Quote this message in a reply