What should I go to shcool for?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2012, 12:56 PM
What should I go to shcool for?
Yes, I said 'shcool'. Read the news.

So my wife is going to finish her Medical Assistant school later this year and when she goes to work I'll have an opportunity to take advantage of my GI Bill. It will pay 100% of the most expensive public school in my state of residence. That happens to be LSU IIRC. So as long as I don't choose a public or private school that is more expensive than LSU in-state tuition I'll have 3 years of 100% paid for tuition. I also get $1000 per semester to cover books and supplies. In addition, as long as I'm enrolled full time I receive basic allowance for housing (BAH) equal to what an active duty E-5 would receive for my zip code. That will come to right around $1000 per month. I imagine I could find some decent part time work that would keep me busy, put a little money in my pocket, and allow me to go to school full time. So my problem is deciding what field of study to enter into. I just read this article on Yahoo!.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/top-1-earn...26283.html

It seems that the things I'm most interested in happen to be very common among the top 1% of income earners. Specifically physics, economics, political science, and history. I need help deciding which to choose.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2012, 01:10 PM
RE: What should I go to shcool for?
Physics. More specifically geophysics. You get physical science and history that way...earth history!

Evolve
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
25-01-2012, 01:58 PM
(25-01-2012 01:10 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Physics. More specifically geophysics. You get physical science and history that way...earth history!

Never considered it before. I was a huge geology and volcanology fan as a kid. My dream was to be an astronaut though. I used to write letters to space centers asking for huge packets of info on the space program and how to become and astronaut. Unfortunately I'm not a pilot, engineer, or doctor. So I'm pretty much out.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
25-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Physics, for sure.
All the others go in and out of style; some branch of physics will always be cutting edge. Something to do with energy would be my bet for the near future.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
25-01-2012, 02:04 PM
(25-01-2012 02:01 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  Physics, for sure.
All the others go in and out of style; some branch of physics will always be cutting edge. Something to do with energy would be my bet for the near future.

I'm not the brightest when it comes to particle physics but I have much interest and desire to learn. Of all my choices physics scares me the most. I'm probably most interested in it out of all but worry that it's the choice I might actually fail. I could smoke a political science course w/ a 4.0 no problem.

-Mark Twain
25-01-2012, 02:27 PM
I have a friend who majored in geology with me and she is currently doing planetary geology...so...planetary geophysics?

Evolve
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
25-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Spelling Wink

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
25-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Economics, Political Science and History don't require an outstanding brain and they can all be graduated without overworking yourself. I'm pretty sure that they have the option of low attendance and distance studies too. That's why the market is overflown with people who graduated them. Economics doesn't make you a banker. Political science doesn't make you a congressman. With history you can be a teacher and pretty much that's it. Unless you're outstandingly successful with either of them, you'll be just one of the majority of people who wasted their time and didn't gain anything to help their career and/or improve their life.

Studying Physics does not necessarily make you rich of famous, but it is the most likely to make you useful, proud of your work and, who knows, you can maybe help science move forward. It should be a choice *because* it's difficult. That's why most people stay away and you can be one of the few. Difficult to graduate but way easier to sell.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 1 user Likes Malleus's post
25-01-2012, 03:29 PM (This post was last modified: 25-01-2012 03:32 PM by germanyt.)
(25-01-2012 03:07 PM)Malleus Wrote:  Economics, Political Science and History don't require an outstanding brain and they can all be graduated without overworking yourself. I'm pretty sure that they have the option of low attendance and distance studies too. That's why the market is overflown with people who graduated them. Economics doesn't make you a banker. Political science doesn't make you a congressman. With history you can be a teacher and pretty much that's it. Unless you're outstandingly successful with either of them, you'll be just one of the majority of people who wasted their time and didn't gain anything to help their career and/or improve their life.

Studying Physics does not necessarily make you rich of famous, but it is the most likely to make you useful, proud of your work and, who knows, you can maybe help science move forward. It should be a choice *because* it's difficult. That's why most people stay away and you can be one of the few. Difficult to graduate but way easier to sell.

If I went for history or political science I sorta pictured myself working as a campagin manger. I have sales and public speaking experience as well. I've also considered being a lobbyist but once you go down that road you basically have no chance at being an elected official. But I suppose being atheist has already nailed that coffin.
(25-01-2012 02:27 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I have a friend who majored in geology with me and she is currently doing planetary geology...so...planetary geophysics?

Did you just make that up? That sounds awesome.

This would be right up my alley.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetary_science

After searching it appears there is no school in Louisiana that I can get a planetary science degree. Unless it's referred to as something different.

-Mark Twain
25-01-2012, 03:49 PM
You could always to a geophysics degree and potentially minor in astronomy. That would set you up to do planetary geophysics in graduate school. The great thing about graduate degrees in geology is that they too are often free, by free I mean you don't pay for the degree but you teach on the side and get paid a small stipend.

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post