What should I go to shcool for?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2012, 03:57 PM
RE: What should I go to shcool for?
(25-01-2012 03:49 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You could always to a geophysics degree and potentially minor in astronomy. That would set you up to do planetary geophysics in graduate school. The great thing about graduate degrees in geology is that they too are often free, by free I mean you don't pay for the degree but you teach on the side and get paid a small stipend.

Like a TA? That'd be alright I guess.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
25-01-2012, 04:13 PM
My personal favorite would be astrophysics ... but that's just me.
How about meteorology; the scientific study of the atmosphere.

Now, here's GT with the weather. Big Grin

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
25-01-2012, 04:45 PM (This post was last modified: 25-01-2012 04:50 PM by germanyt.)
I just emailed the geo and astrophysics departments at LSU. I better get over to the VA to figure out this GI Bill stuff and get on top of scheduling to take my ACT/SAT. I graduated high school with a 1.3 GPA so I never really saw a need for taking either test. Watch I score a 30+ on it. A 19 is all that is required to get into geophysics at LSU. That's the bottom 40%.
(25-01-2012 04:13 PM)kim Wrote:  My personal favorite would be astrophysics ... but that's just me.
How about meteorology; the scientific study of the atmosphere.

Now, here's GT with the weather. Big Grin

It's gone hail bitches!

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
25-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Don't look at what's happening now; think about what will happen ten years, twenty years down the road. University is a large investment of time and effort; you don't want the degree to become obsolete. Big changes are coming soon, and you want to be able to get past them and still have a useful - not necessarily salable - skill.
Learn something real that's always relevant, not something that depends on the present financial structure.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
26-01-2012, 08:45 AM
(25-01-2012 09:57 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  Don't look at what's happening now; think about what will happen ten years, twenty years down the road. University is a large investment of time and effort; you don't want the degree to become obsolete. Big changes are coming soon, and you want to be able to get past them and still have a useful - not necessarily salable - skill.
Learn something real that's always relevant, not something that depends on the present financial structure.

Pretty sure physics and political science will always be relevant. I'm leaning towards astrophysics though. LSU actually has an astonomy/astrophysics department. I want to do Nova and TLC specials like Neil Degrasse Tyson. That'd be righteous.

-Mark Twain
26-01-2012, 09:03 AM
You're moving in the right direction. Make that degrading college experience worth something =p I still haven't been able to afford going for my degree in Anthropology. If you really wanna be in a political position you're just as good trying it out on your own. Yet another field where actual experience can easily trump degrees. Physics is something you really need to learn to do so it's an easy choice.

And try to bring that GPA up in your college you'll want a nice 3 or something to really have a worthwhile degree.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
26-01-2012, 09:12 AM
oh carp

[Image: vjp09.gif]
26-01-2012, 09:14 AM
(26-01-2012 09:03 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  You're moving in the right direction. Make that degrading college experience worth something =p I still haven't been able to afford going for my degree in Anthropology. If you really wanna be in a political position you're just as good trying it out on your own. Yet another field where actual experience can easily trump degrees. Physics is something you really need to learn to do so it's an easy choice.

And try to bring that GPA up in your college you'll want a nice 3 or something to really have a worthwhile degree.

I fully intend to graduate with a 4.0. Easier said then done I know but I'm far more dedicated and mature than most 20 year olds that do have 4.0s. And I'm by no means stupid. Problem now is that I just talked to the admissions department and they started spouting off all these high school requirements. I'm like, "Uhhh, I've been outta high school for 11 years. What could my HS transcripts possibly tell you about me?" So now I'm waiting on a manager to call me back. There has got to be a way around providing HS transcripts. I'm gonna ask if they require transcripts on a 60 year old that never finished 8th grade at a school that burnt down 40 years ago.

-Mark Twain
26-01-2012, 07:07 PM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2012 08:43 PM by GirlyMan.)
Why this thread show no love for CS or EE? I started out majoring in PHIL then the wife got pregnant. I realized, "Shit, ain't no money in PHIL unless I'm like exceptional or go to Law School, and I ain't." So I switched to CS. Nice thing about Comp Sci and Engineering is you just have to be competent to make a decent wage.

(26-01-2012 08:45 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Pretty sure physics and political science will always be relevant. I'm leaning towards astrophysics though. LSU actually has an astonomy/astrophysics department. I want to do Nova and TLC specials like Neil Degrasse Tyson. That'd be righteous.

Better plan on getting a PhD then. Not much work for astrophysicists without one.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
26-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Astrophysics!!! or if it's physics, would it be experimental or theoretical?

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post