What should I go to shcool for?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2012, 07:39 PM
RE: What should I go to shcool for?
If you start out at a community college you can skip the high school crap. i had to cause I never did a high school.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2012, 08:12 PM
(25-01-2012 03:57 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(25-01-2012 03:49 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You could always to a geophysics degree and potentially minor in astronomy. That would set you up to do planetary geophysics in graduate school. The great thing about graduate degrees in geology is that they too are often free, by free I mean you don't pay for the degree but you teach on the side and get paid a small stipend.

Like a TA? That'd be alright I guess.

That is what I do!

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
26-01-2012, 08:48 PM
(26-01-2012 08:12 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You could always to a geophysics degree and potentially minor in astronomy. That would set you up to do planetary geophysics in graduate school. The great thing about graduate degrees in geology is that they too are often free, by free I mean you don't pay for the degree but you teach on the side and get paid a small stipend.

Nah, that ain't no way to go to grad school. That's the "Starving Grad Student" way. The proper way to do it is to find an employer willing and eager to pay for not only your tuition and books, but also your full salary while going to grad school. ... At least that's what I did. Wink

Breathing - it's more art than science.
27-01-2012, 07:43 AM
(26-01-2012 08:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-01-2012 08:12 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You could always to a geophysics degree and potentially minor in astronomy. That would set you up to do planetary geophysics in graduate school. The great thing about graduate degrees in geology is that they too are often free, by free I mean you don't pay for the degree but you teach on the side and get paid a small stipend.

Nah, that ain't no way to go to grad school. That's the "Starving Grad Student" way. The proper way to do it is to find an employer willing and eager to pay for not only your tuition and books, but also your full salary while going to grad school. ... At least that's what I did. Wink

My bachelors degree will be 100% paid for by my GI Bill. Masters is an issue. I'm not even sure how scholarships and financial aid work when pursuing a masters. The school I work at only offers diploma programs that are less than 1 year so I have no knowlege of higher learning tuition.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
27-01-2012, 08:16 AM
(27-01-2012 07:43 AM)germanyt Wrote:  

My bachelors degree will be 100% paid for by my GI Bill. Masters is an issue. I'm not even sure how scholarships and financial aid work when pursuing a masters. The school I work at only offers diploma programs that are less than 1 year so I have no knowlege of higher learning tuition.

One way is to form a good relationship with a professor in your discipline. If he/she thinks you have what it takes, you will get mentoring, guidance, and practical help.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-01-2012, 08:20 AM
(27-01-2012 08:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  

One way is to form a good relationship with a professor in your discipline. If he/she thinks you have what it takes, you will get mentoring, guidance, and practical help.

I intend to be very, very involved with the university and the department. Charity work, extra-curriculars, etc. And I'm going to try my hardest to keep a 4.0.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
27-01-2012, 09:02 AM
(27-01-2012 08:20 AM)germanyt Wrote:  

I intend to be very, very involved with the university and the department. Charity work, extra-curriculars, etc. And I'm going to try my hardest to keep a 4.0.

If you want the support of a professor, you won't have time for charity work or extra-curriculars.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-01-2012, 09:05 AM
(27-01-2012 09:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-01-2012 08:20 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(26-01-2012 08:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Nah, that ain't no way to go to grad school. That's the "Starving Grad Student" way. The proper way to do it is to find an employer willing and eager to pay for not only your tuition and books, but also your full salary while going to grad school. ... At least that's what I did. Wink

If you want the support of a professor, you won't have time for charity work or extra-curriculars.

[Image: file.php?2,file=17155,filename=implied-facepalm.jpg]

-Mark Twain
27-01-2012, 05:12 PM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2012 05:21 PM by GirlyMan.)
(27-01-2012 08:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  One way is to form a good relationship with a professor in your discipline. If he/she thinks you have what it takes, you will get mentoring, guidance, and practical help.

Fuck that. Come into grad school with your own employer-backed funding and you don't have to kiss anyone's ass. ... If your employer has sufficient clout, goddam professors will be kissing your ass.

Breathing - it's more art than science.