What should I teach my children about Religion and God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2014, 06:20 PM
RE: What should I teach my children about Religion and God?
I don't have kids, so take my opinion lightly. Here is how I would handle it.

Not make any attempt to bring religious subjects up to the child. In the event that they start learning about it and ask questions, simply tell them your honest opinion exactly the same as if an adult was asking you. As long as you remind them that their opinions will not need to match yours, then they are open to think about it.

That is, in my own words how I would plan to handle it. Your question made me consider this. Thanks for asking an honest question.

My current project is explaining why many things in this world are irrelevant to me.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2014, 06:22 PM
(06-01-2014 06:19 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 04:48 PM)nooneofconsequence Wrote:  I dunno. Do you want your kids to believe that there's a supreme personality who'll chuck 'em into an eternal pit of shit because they masturbated?

Beliefs have consequences and some people spend a lot of time undoing later on what religion did to them as youngsters.

Tell your crotch fruit the truth, brother. Early in the piece. That this is the one life they'll get so they should make the best of it now rather than betting on an eternity with Jerry Falwell and the crew.

-- Max

Crotch fruit? Really?

Really.

-- Max

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I am not afraid to go out of it that way.
Find all posts by this user
06-01-2014, 06:27 PM
I am LDS(Mormon) and I really want to give you an advice. It is OK to share with your children where you are standing. Honesty is always the best and most importantly it is the right choice.
As LDS I am learning to choose the right.
Do this - be the best example for them and teach them to be KIND, compassionate, caring, HONEST, virtuous.
These are the most important things. Also teach them that education is very important. Knowledge is a power and they will be able to achieve many things in their lives.
Also teach them that right choices will bring them happiness and protect them from many extra troubles.
Also teach them accountability. Also tell them that when they face trials in their lives they ALWAYS have to FIGHT and ENDURE to the END. And let them know that trials will make them stronger and wiser and more caring.
If you teach them this your Heavenly Father will be very happy with you. Good parents will have their rewards.

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
06-01-2014, 09:53 PM
Whatever you plan will not go as planned. You have to learn that dance while the music is playing.

But thinking about it now will prepare you for the surprise when it happens.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
06-01-2014, 10:37 PM
I was raised in an atheist home in PA, we never talked about god or religion, never. We did learn about our surroundings, plants, wildlife, the farm practices across the street, migrating birds, trees, bugs, rocks. When I got to middle school and the subject started coming up because of friends my parents let me go if I wanted. I went a few times and just thought the whole thing really freakin bizarre. But religion wasn't really in your face there.

Now that I live in NC, religion is everywhere and in your face and they will prey on my kids the moment I'm not paying attention. I do a combination of what Anj mentioned but add a bit more. The conversation is usually along the lines of me asking my daughters what they think? Then how did they come to that answer. Then I ask if they want my opinion (they always do). And then I give the " some people think this, some people think that, and I think it's this because (evidence).

My 8 year old is agnostic, my 10 year old is a closet atheist because she can recognize the whacked out beliefs of her classmates and would like to remain friends since it's a small school.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller