What should a god do ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2015, 07:09 PM
What should a god do ?
In my opinion...

A god should fix the major problems.
He should feed the hungry, clothe only the ugly people, provide homes for the homeless and make sure that everyone has their basic needs for survival met.

A god should prevent rape, torture, abuse, murder, accidental deaths, car crashes, explosions, fires, natural disasters, etc
In essence, none if these acts should be allowed to happen if they cause harm and or death.

I don't think a god should help you find your car keys or influence some football game.

A god ought to protect people from harm and provide for their survival

Since none of these things are happening in the world, it becomes evident that there is an absence of action.

If you are of the opinion that the world is as god intended it to be, then gods presence is moot.
A god that does nothing is equal to a god that doesn't exist.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
20-01-2015, 07:12 PM
RE: What should a god do ?
If there is one, he is a molesting, abusive, deadbeat father. He can fuck off.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
20-01-2015, 07:33 PM
God should show up every once in a while

(20-01-2015 07:09 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I don't think a god should help you find your car keys or influence some football game.

I wouldn't mind a god helping people find their car keys, that just shouldn't be the biggest thing he ever does.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
20-01-2015, 08:09 PM
If this god exists with the asserted characteristics of the Abrahamic religion and benevolence is one of those characteristics, then it should do those things, the weak sauce excuse of "human choice" doesn't explain it, because heaven exists- no suffering required.

That's why deism makes more sense than a particular religion, a cosmic being that is simply unaware of our existence would be more likely. Why would it be concerned with an insignificant speck of a planet as it spins the galaxies to it's purpose?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
20-01-2015, 08:37 PM (This post was last modified: 20-01-2015 08:47 PM by pablo.)
I think at the very least it could settle a simple argument.
20-01-2015, 10:25 PM
(20-01-2015 07:09 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  ... A god should prevent ... accidental deaths, car crashes ...

Two climbers just a couple days ago climbed an unclimbable 3000 foot wall in Yosemite, hanging onto razor sharp razor thin edges of rock by their fingertips most of the climb. They fell several times, every fall a swing at the end of a rope down against the cliff that could maim or kill them, and, of course, the entire time they clung to the face of that cliff inching up it they risked death by equipment failure, weather, or simple mistake. They attained the summit at last and there is for human spirit no greater high than prevailing over extreme danger. I envied them their achievement and the deep satisfying ecstasy they must still feel, an ecstasy that makes sex a stale few seconds of cheap candy by comparison.

Were some god to reliably see to it that such a climb presented no mortal danger, I doubt those climbers would have bothered. I doubt any of us would bother, and the word "exciting" wouldn't even be in our vocabulary.

Keep a god's meddling fingers out of our lives totally. The minute any god intercedes it impugns our capacity to live our lives by our own minds and our own skills, and makes us nothing more than cute rag dolls, and just as dull.
[+] 6 users Like Airportkid's post
20-01-2015, 11:23 PM
First of all, you are going to well define what a god is and then I can answer that question for you.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
20-01-2015, 11:33 PM
I would define a god as a being capable of sensing all molecular motion and certain fundamental forces like gravity, electromagnetic radiation, etc on the planet we call Earth. This being would also have the power to effectively make changes to any molecular structure on the planet and alter fundamental forces as well.

Basically a planetary parent who is watching over human beings, making sure they don't hurt themselves or others.

Not a great definition, but we'll start there.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
21-01-2015, 04:29 AM
(20-01-2015 07:09 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  In my opinion...

A god should fix the major problems.
He should feed the hungry, clothe only the ugly people, provide homes for the homeless and make sure that everyone has their basic needs for survival met.

A god should prevent rape, torture, abuse, murder, accidental deaths, car crashes, explosions, fires, natural disasters, etc
In essence, none if these acts should be allowed to happen if they cause harm and or death.

I don't think a god should help you find your car keys or influence some football game.

A god ought to protect people from harm and provide for their survival

Since none of these things are happening in the world, it becomes evident that there is an absence of action.

If you are of the opinion that the world is as god intended it to be, then gods presence is moot.
A god that does nothing is equal to a god that doesn't exist.

Sounds like heaven.
21-01-2015, 04:39 AM
Exist

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
[+] 3 users Like PeterKA's post