What should a god do ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2015, 01:30 PM
RE: What should a god do ?
(21-01-2015 08:57 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(20-01-2015 07:33 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  God should show up every once in a while

I wouldn't mind a god helping people find their car keys, that just shouldn't be the biggest thing he ever does.

Pay attention! He just helped one team win their way to the Super Bowl. What more could you possibly want?

God Loves the Seahhawks

The comment are a hoot.

Yeah, but God loves New England three times as much.
Doc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2015, 04:30 PM
(21-01-2015 01:30 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(21-01-2015 08:57 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Pay attention! He just helped one team win their way to the Super Bowl. What more could you possibly want?

God Loves the Seahhawks

The comment are a hoot.

Yeah, but God loves New England three times as much.
Doc

Nah, dem Patriots is of de debbil. That's what makes them the balls. I have a soft spot for them. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-01-2015, 06:07 PM
(20-01-2015 07:09 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  In my opinion...

A god should fix the major problems.
He should feed the hungry, clothe only the ugly people, provide homes for the homeless and make sure that everyone has their basic needs for survival met.

A god should prevent rape, torture, abuse, murder, accidental deaths, car crashes, explosions, fires, natural disasters, etc
In essence, none if these acts should be allowed to happen if they cause harm and or death.

I don't think a god should help you find your car keys or influence some football game.

A god ought to protect people from harm and provide for their survival

Since none of these things are happening in the world, it becomes evident that there is an absence of action.

If you are of the opinion that the world is as god intended it to be, then gods presence is moot.
A god that does nothing is equal to a god that doesn't exist.

God has done plenty for me.

He gave me clean running water... After the water company laid down the pipes, filtration etc.

He puts food on my table!... After I've worked 40 hours a week.

He blessed me with a child!... After I had sex and an educated man (Doctor) was able to deliver my child safely.

He cured my headache! ... After I took an aspirin.

And he does all this for atheists too!... As long as they live in a first world country.

So basically we should thank god we were born here and not somewhere else. Because that seems to be the main reason for the things we have/don't have.

Perhaps gods powers only work in developed countries.. You know.. Localised like the flood was.
[+] 2 users Like TheStraightener's post
21-01-2015, 08:38 PM
(21-01-2015 04:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  Nah, dem Patriots is of de debbil. That's what makes them the balls. I have a soft spot for them. Yes

The Patriots? Or balls?

Doc
21-01-2015, 08:43 PM

He should feed the hungry, clothe only the ugly people, provide homes for the homeless and make sure that everyone has their basic needs for survival met.

A god should prevent rape, torture, abuse, murder, accidental deaths, car crashes, explosions, fires, natural disasters, etc
In essence, none if these acts should be allowed to happen if they cause harm and or death.

I don't think a god should help you find your car keys or influence some football game.

Since none of these things are happening in the world, it becomes evident that there is an absence of action.

If you are of the opinion that the world is as god intended it to be, then gods presence is moot.

Indeed. The believer,s god is indistinguishable from something that is merely imaginary.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
22-01-2015, 08:33 PM
You heathens. If you would just stop fucking masturbating God would get around to the good stuff.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
[+] 2 users Like claywise's post
27-01-2015, 11:28 AM

You close your syllogism with a straw man, if I may say that kindly to you, without malice... "If you are of the opinion that the world is as god intended it to be, then gods presence is moot." - The Christian rubric is that the world is not all God planned for it but is off-kilter on a temporary basis because he chose to not abrogate human free will. I'd correct your sentence therefore to read:

""If you are of the opinion that the world is not yet as god intended it to be, then gods presence is expected."

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-01-2015, 01:55 PM
The Q Continuum ' Wrote:  The Christian rubric is that the world is not all God planned for it but is off-kilter on a temporary basis because he chose to not abrogate human free will.

Except, of course where he DID screw with free will. But we'll just ignore that because it doesn't support my statement.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
27-01-2015, 08:10 PM
(22-01-2015 08:33 PM)claywise Wrote:  You heathens. If you would just stop fucking masturbating God would get around to the good stuff.

Yet another example illustrating the importance of commas.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
[+] 2 users Like TheMrBillShow's post
27-01-2015, 10:51 PM
(27-01-2015 08:10 PM)TheMrBillShow Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 08:33 PM)claywise Wrote:  You heathens. If you would just stop fucking masturbating God would get around to the good stuff.

Yet another example illustrating the importance of commas.

I for one would respect that fucking, masturbating God as he chose to let Earth suffer because he had his business to take care of. It's a far better god than Q's apologetic version of the biblical god being accurate and the classical terms don't seem to play into his choices.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post