What show are you recently watching or watched.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
02-01-2015, 09:44 PM
RE: What show are you recently watching or watched.
Gershwin Awards - Billy Joel and Carole King

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2015, 10:05 PM
Classic Who (Doctor Who before the 2005 revival/continuation), specifically the Fourth Doctor's run.

I have always loved the Fourth from the limited episodes I saw as a kid (Ark in Space, anyone?), and decided to consult the age old internet to find a place or download that has all the episodes... and they have one! Downloading it now whilst I watch the poor selection of classic who Netflix has.

I seriously recommend Doctor Who to anyone (Specifically from Doctors 1-10 and 12). It always has a little bit in there for someone, whether it be a great hero (The Doctor), great villains (Daleks, Sontarians, etc), great stories ("Dalek"), lovely, empowering women (Romana in Fourth's run, Sarah Jane Smith too), and a plethora of episodes (One of the longest running TV shows ever).

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
02-01-2015, 10:10 PM
Two days of husband watching a Walking Dead marathon...Weeping

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
02-01-2015, 10:11 PM
(02-01-2015 10:05 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Classic Who (Doctor Who before the 2005 revival/continuation), specifically the Fourth Doctor's run.

I have always loved the Fourth from the limited episodes I saw as a kid (Ark in Space, anyone?), and decided to consult the age old internet to find a place or download that has all the episodes... and they have one! Downloading it now whilst I watch the poor selection of classic who Netflix has.

I seriously recommend Doctor Who to anyone (Specifically from Doctors 1-10 and 12). It always has a little bit in there for someone, whether it be a great hero (The Doctor), great villains (Daleks, Sontarians, etc), great stories ("Dalek"), lovely, empowering women (Romana in Fourth's run, Sarah Jane Smith too), and a plethora of episodes (One of the longest running TV shows ever).

What would be the best classic who episode to watch? Ark in Space? Husband says if we watch a classic who, and it's good, we can keep watching. Otherwise he wants to just keep going with the reboot.

As for what I'm watching - on season two of Sons of Anarchy Cool

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
02-01-2015, 10:30 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2015 10:39 PM by Atothetheist.)
(02-01-2015 10:11 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(02-01-2015 10:05 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Classic Who (Doctor Who before the 2005 revival/continuation), specifically the Fourth Doctor's run.

What would be the best classic who episode to watch? Ark in Space? Husband says if we watch a classic who, and it's good, we can keep watching. Otherwise he wants to just keep going with the reboot.

As for what I'm watching - on season two of Sons of Anarchy Cool

Hmm, that really depends. Classic Who has shoddy effects AT BEST. However, if you can get past that, the stories contained are just some of the best things I have ever encountered.

Best story in the Netflix collection that I have seen so far has got to be The Pirate Planet, but its kinda a mini-story in the Key to Time Arc (An overarching plot-point that connects several adventures together. Doctor and Romana have got to collect key segments for a dude called the white guardian). The concept of it is brilliant (written by Douglas Adams), but all of the stories in each collection are pretty much four-parters. Ark in Space is great, but its another one where the effects are pretty shit.

I would say, go with the Pyramids of Mars, great story, better effects then some of the others, and it can stand alone. There is no real need of going back to previous episodes. Plus, Sarah Jane Smith is the companion, and you have seen her in New Who (Ten's episode 'School Reunion').

And New Who ain't a reboot. They threw away nothing from the classic who. I count it as a continuation. I say watch them both.

Classic Who episodes are 25 minutes, btw.

If you search the Internet though, or have access to it, The Fourth's adventure in Genesis of the Daleks is a must see! It explains the origins of my favorite Doctor Who villains along with Davros (Who is brilliant in anything he is in.)

[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
02-01-2015, 10:35 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2015 10:40 PM by Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue.)
(02-01-2015 10:11 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  What would be the best classic who episode to watch? Ark in Space? Husband says if we watch a classic who, and it's good, we can keep watching. Otherwise he wants to just keep going with the reboot.

[Image: pick-me-o.gif]

My favorites are the more "out there" serials so my personal preference isn't worth a whole much.

That said; if somethings on the line (a small thing is still something. Shut up.) then it should probably something famously good, without any kind of continuity (so no regeneration's or recurring villians), that's as typical as possible of a standard serial, with some iconic elements.

So how about; The City of Death or The Pyramids of Mars or indeed; The Ark in Space. (Though I don't think it's aged as well as the other two.)

(02-01-2015 10:30 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Best story in the Netflix collection that I have seen so far has got to be The Pirate Planet, but its kinda a mini-story in the Key to Time Arc (An overarching plot-point that connects several adventures together. Doctor and Romana have got to collect key segments for a dude called the white guardian). The concept of it is brilliant (written by Douglas Adams), but all of the stories in each collection are pretty much four-parters.

Don't get me wrong: The Pirate Planet is dope as fuck.

Unfortunately I mean what I said about continuity being something to avoid.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 1 user Likes Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
02-01-2015, 10:38 PM
(02-01-2015 10:35 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  
(02-01-2015 10:11 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  What would be the best classic who episode to watch? Ark in Space? Husband says if we watch a classic who, and it's good, we can keep watching. Otherwise he wants to just keep going with the reboot.

[Image: pick-me-o.gif]

My favorites are the more "out there" serials so my personal preference isn't worth a whole much.

That said; if somethings on the line (a small thing is still something. Shut up.) then it should probably something famously good, without any kind of continuity (so no regeneration's or recurring villians), that's as typical as possible of a standard serial, with some iconic elements.

So how about; The City of Death or The Pyramids of Mars or indeed; The Ark in Space. (Though I don't think it's aged as well as the other two.)

I am just about to watch City of Death.

Yeah, though seriously, Pyramids of Mars is probably the best one for ya to watch.

02-01-2015, 10:40 PM
^Seconding the vote. (Again.)

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
02-01-2015, 10:43 PM
Thank you Stuffed and Ato!!!! Big Grin Pyramids of Mars it is!

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
02-01-2015, 10:45 PM
(02-01-2015 10:43 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Thank you Stuffed and Ato!!!! Big Grin Pyramids of Mars it is!
Tell me what you think. The fourth is my favorite classic Doctor.