What sin does everyone supposedly have?! A rant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2016, 06:18 PM
What sin does everyone supposedly have?! A rant
I went to church tonight. My sister in law asked me to go. During the whole sermon I was arguing with the pastor in my head. I kept saying to my self I have no sin! I've made mistakes but I don't consider them sins. I had to refrain myself from rolling my eyes. The message was a salvation message which I've heard a 100 times over several different ways. I've actually heard every sermon in the book. That's why I feel church to be bland and not creative.

Anyway, what sin is there? I don't believe that anyone has done anything wrong. Now if they have committed crimes then that's just breaking the law. I feel that every one is innocent from sin. I don't see the need for sin. I don't believe I have any sin. What sin is there that everyone supposedly committed? None! Then there is no need for a savior. I just don't understand why everyone has sin. Ugh.

I wrote down some notes. There were a few assumptions. The pastor was talking about condemning yourself. That was a big assumption. The other assumptions were about sin like I said above.

The whole sermon was one big guilt trip which I noticed.

Maybe you guys have some ideas on what sins everyone has committed. If you can't find any then there is no need for a savior.

I hope I posted this in the right section. If not could the mods move it to the right category? Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2016, 06:38 PM
RE: What sin does everyone supposedly have?! A rant
Well, there is no need for a savior because there was no Adam and Eve...

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
31-01-2016, 06:55 PM
"Sin" is meaningless in the real world since it involves committing an offense against a non-existent entity. It's like being worried that you've offended Peter Pan.

On the other hand, guilt can be a powerful motivator. Convince people that they are guilty just for being human and that you can help and they have to keep coming back to you because, try as they might, they can't seem to stop being human.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 6 users Like unfogged's post
31-01-2016, 07:04 PM
Sin is a bunch of nonsense.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
31-01-2016, 08:15 PM
Sin is one of those concepts that just reeks of human invention. It's so obvious once you can see it from an outside perspective, but if you're still able buy into it even just a little bit, it becomes a self-propagating lie that digs itself deeper into every aspect of your life the more you're forced think about it. It's a big part of why churches encourage people to sit through the exact same messages and songs week after week. If people were given enough time and space to think about this kind of stuff on their own, without the influence of peer pressure and self-imposed guilt, I think a lot more of them would start to wake up to the fact that they're just being psychologically manipulated by other human beings.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 5 users Like cactus's post
31-01-2016, 08:27 PM
The concept of sin is not very well defined. It is often referred to as "going against the will of god" but this in itself carries no moral weight. If a command is immoral, then adherence to that command would be immoral (or at best amoral). Was it moral for Abraham to take Isaac to the top of the rock and prepare to sacrifice him? No. Would it have been moral if he had refused to do so? Yes. But it would have been a sin.

It also would have been moral for the Israelites to NOT slaughter all the people living in the lands they passed through and NOT rape all the virgin girls. But if they showed such mercy it would be a sin. In fact there is one point where they abstain from total murder and god gets angry at them.

There are also the sins that are "of the flesh." I'm not sure if this is as common for protestants, but the way it was explained to me was that any action that distracted from the divine or that was contrary to that of a perfect being was considered a sin. So eating is a sin. Breathing is a sin. You enjoy that nap? Because it's a sin. Lust is a sin. You get the drift. These are all things that we can't help, and they are ALL considered sins.

And then there is the disgusting moral abomination that is original sin. The idea that you are responsible for the action of someone you never met and whose actions you had no say in. It doesn't matter how good you are, because you aren't damned for your own actions, but for the actions of someone else.
[+] 2 users Like natachan's post
31-01-2016, 09:03 PM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2016 09:28 PM by true scotsman.)
(31-01-2016 06:18 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  I went to church tonight. My sister in law asked me to go. During the whole sermon I was arguing with the pastor in my head. I kept saying to my self I have no sin! I've made mistakes but I don't consider them sins. I had to refrain myself from rolling my eyes. The message was a salvation message which I've heard a 100 times over several different ways. I've actually heard every sermon in the book. That's why I feel church to be bland and not creative.

Anyway, what sin is there? I don't believe that anyone has done anything wrong. Now if they have committed crimes then that's just breaking the law. I feel that every one is innocent from sin. I don't see the need for sin. I don't believe I have any sin. What sin is there that everyone supposedly committed? None! Then there is no need for a savior. I just don't understand why everyone has sin. Ugh.

I wrote down some notes. There were a few assumptions. The pastor was talking about condemning yourself. That was a big assumption. The other assumptions were about sin like I said above.

The whole sermon was one big guilt trip which I noticed.

Maybe you guys have some ideas on what sins everyone has committed. If you can't find any then there is no need for a savior.

I hope I posted this in the right section. If not could the mods move it to the right category? Thank you.

Your sin is that you think for yourself. You don't just accept every word from the preacher's pie hole on faith. If this is a sin then let us all be unrepenting sinners.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 3 users Like true scotsman's post
31-01-2016, 09:11 PM
Wow, so many angry atheists here. Isn't it possible to, if you are going to celebrate someone's tradition with them, simply relax and do exactly that?

Hanging out here I'm starting to grasp the religious objections to atheists.
31-01-2016, 09:12 PM
(31-01-2016 09:11 PM)coyote Wrote:  Wow, so many angry atheists here. Isn't it possible to, if you are going to celebrate someone's tradition with them, simply relax and do exactly that?

Hanging out here I'm starting to grasp the religious objections to atheists.
Angry?

So it's not black and white to you?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
31-01-2016, 09:14 PM
(31-01-2016 09:03 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  You're sin is that you think for youself. You don't just accept every word from the preacher's pie hole on faith. If this is a sin then let us all be unrelenting sinners.
I definitely know what your sin is! Tongue
*Your
*yourself
*unrepenting (I think that's the word you meant to use)

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]