What sin does everyone supposedly have?! A rant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2016, 11:19 PM
RE: What sin does everyone supposedly have?! A rant
(31-01-2016 09:11 PM)coyote Wrote:  Wow, so many angry atheists here. Isn't it possible to, if you are going to celebrate someone's tradition with them, simply relax and do exactly that?

Hanging out here I'm starting to grasp the religious objections to atheists.
First of all, What Anjele said.

Second, do you actually want to try having a conversation where you can try to understand people rather than painting a broad label upon people and leaving comments that make you look like you are patting yourself on the back for being better than the rest of us?

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Adrianime's post
31-01-2016, 11:54 PM
Growing up in a secular home I never really heard the word sin used by anyone in the family. It's just a word used in churches like the word tithe or the Virgin Mary. Sin is just a fuckin church word.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
01-02-2016, 12:15 AM
(31-01-2016 09:11 PM)coyote Wrote:  Wow, so many angry atheists here. Isn't it possible to, if you are going to celebrate someone's tradition with them, simply relax and do exactly that?

I would never ask my religious family members to go to an atheist meetup at the pub with me, and I don't think anyone should feel obligated to celebrate religious traditions with their family members either.

I don't understand what you mean by "simply relax." I can't force myself to enjoy something. I can get enjoyment out of knowing that my feigned compliance with these nonsensical religious traditions will ensure that I probably won't have to deal with any questions later that day that would be emotionally painful for my family members if I were to answer them truthfully, but I'd describe that experience as "taxing," rather than "relaxing."

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
01-02-2016, 01:58 AM
(31-01-2016 06:18 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  Anyway, what sin is there? I don't believe that anyone has done anything wrong. Now if they have committed crimes then that's just breaking the law.

Sin is only idiotic, religious concept that I reject. No need to be concerned about it.

So crime is nothing wrong?

(31-01-2016 06:18 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  I feel that every one is innocent from sin.

As far as it is possible of being innocent of something that one does not deem true.

(31-01-2016 06:18 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  I don't see the need for sin. I don't believe I have any sin. What sin is there that everyone supposedly committed? None! Then there is no need for a savior. I just don't understand why everyone has sin. Ugh.

There is a great need for sin. Church needs it for baptism. Also sin fits well with some rhetoric. And there is need for savior for without him church couldn't sell cure for imaginary illness.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
01-02-2016, 05:09 AM
(31-01-2016 09:11 PM)coyote Wrote:  Hanging out here I'm starting to grasp the religious objections to atheists.

"They don't agree with our faith-based assertion and actually notice and disapprove of the psychological manipulation, abuse, and exploitation underlying the happy-clappy veneer of our religions."
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
01-02-2016, 05:45 AM

It's not so possible if, like the OP, you are living in a religious household, have recently become an atheist and are still trying to figure that out, and are currently getting a lot of pressure from your family to put away your doubts and just believe.

But context doesn't seem to matter much to you, so go ahead and paint with your broad brush.

Also this board is full of people who have good reasons to be angry at the damage religious concepts like sin have done to them and their families personally. If you aren't included in this group, you should count yourself lucky, not superior.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
01-02-2016, 05:55 AM
I don't have any "sin". I don't have a "soul". I don't need any "salvation".

And neither does anyone else.

In spite of what that stupid storybook says.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
01-02-2016, 06:29 AM
I found myself arguing with the pastor when I was in my early 20's and was going to church with my wife. I the more I thought about it, the more it pissed me off. What I saw was "you're sick and here is the cure." Except it didn't cure anything. Ask a christian and they'd say that Jesus made them a better person. Ask them how and they may tell you that it makes them more humble or something like that. If you point out that they still do whatever, they then tell you that they are a sinner, totally missing the point that if they still do it, they aren't any better than before.

I know that now all aren't like this, but many do exactly this.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
01-02-2016, 06:52 AM
(31-01-2016 09:31 PM)coyote Wrote:  I'm atheist. AND I am ok with whatever people want to believe. Life is difficult, and anything that makes it easier for you to get through it is fine by me. As long as they aren't trying to force it into our political and education systems, I will support them in believing what they believe and share their celebrations with them.

I can't stop them from believing whatever they want to believe but I disagree that anything that makes it easier for them is fine. They are living in delusion and no matter how benign their individual situation may be they are still making decisions and living their life in a way that is irrational. Their decisions affect others and that's likely to be bad for those affected. Even where they aren't overtly trying to affect education and politics their collective beliefs still influence decisions in those areas. If you support them in believing nonsense then you are doing them, and everybody else, a great disservice.

Labeling me as an angry atheist is not a put-down as far as I'm concerned. I am angry at what religion does to otherwise intelligent people and how it retards progress. If you aren't angry then you aren't paying attention.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
01-02-2016, 06:55 AM
It is all Eve's fault. She did it. Then enticed Adam and for that God decided that all the billions of us coming later were guilty of the same sin of wanting to know. That is why religion is against science, the first sin recorded was that she was curious. Now don't you feel guilty? Because a mythical person was curious?