What sin does everyone supposedly have?! A rant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2016, 06:57 AM
RE: What sin does everyone supposedly have?! A rant
(31-01-2016 11:19 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(31-01-2016 09:11 PM)coyote Wrote:  Wow, so many angry atheists here. Isn't it possible to, if you are going to celebrate someone's tradition with them, simply relax and do exactly that?

Hanging out here I'm starting to grasp the religious objections to atheists.
First of all, What Anjele said.

Second, do you actually want to try having a conversation where you can try to understand people rather than painting a broad label upon people and leaving comments that make you look like you are patting yourself on the back for being better than the rest of us?

As in acting like a Christian?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2016, 08:14 AM
I have a halo above my head. It blocks all sin.
Everyone should have one. So simple to install.

I found a website that sells them. It's privately owned, so just give me your address and credit card info and I'll have one mailed to ya.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
01-02-2016, 08:17 AM
(01-02-2016 06:55 AM)DerFish Wrote:  It is all Eve's fault. She did it. Then enticed Adam and for that God decided that all the billions of us coming later were guilty of the same sin of wanting to know. That is why religion is against science, the first sin recorded was that she was curious. Now don't you feel guilty? Because a mythical person was curious?

Vagina, causing the world's problems since 4000 BC.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
01-02-2016, 08:33 AM
(01-02-2016 12:15 AM)cactus Wrote:  
(31-01-2016 09:11 PM)coyote Wrote:  Wow, so many angry atheists here. Isn't it possible to, if you are going to celebrate someone's tradition with them, simply relax and do exactly that?

I would never ask my religious family members to go to an atheist meetup at the pub with me, and I don't think anyone should feel obligated to celebrate religious traditions with their family members either.

I don't understand what you mean by "simply relax." I can't force myself to enjoy something. I can get enjoyment out of knowing that my feigned compliance with these nonsensical religious traditions will ensure that I probably won't have to deal with any questions later that day that would be emotionally painful for my family members if I were to answer them truthfully, but I'd describe that experience as "taxing," rather than "relaxing."

You said it! I found myself moving around a lot in my chair. I was uncomfortable because I knew what the pastor was feeding everyone was garbage. It's hard for me to believe that everyone besides me believes this shit. But I know I can't force my new beliefs on others. It was hard for me to relax in church. But the only reason I went was to hang out with my family. I could care less about the message presented. I may skip out after next week. It's hard for me to go to church too much bc it makes me uncomfortable. I feel the delusion sticking to my skin and it makes me feel dirty if you know what I mean.

My dad would like me to meet Christian friends but that would make me feel worse.

If you break the law you either get caught or run from the law. Either way you'll likely get caught
01-02-2016, 08:35 AM

Well, I'm glad you've found a way to feel superior to everyone. Well done. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-02-2016, 08:56 AM
(01-02-2016 06:52 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(31-01-2016 09:31 PM)coyote Wrote:  I'm atheist. AND I am ok with whatever people want to believe. Life is difficult, and anything that makes it easier for you to get through it is fine by me. As long as they aren't trying to force it into our political and education systems, I will support them in believing what they believe and share their celebrations with them.

I can't stop them from believing whatever they want to believe but I disagree that anything that makes it easier for them is fine. They are living in delusion and no matter how benign their individual situation may be they are still making decisions and living their life in a way that is irrational. Their decisions affect others and that's likely to be bad for those affected. Even where they aren't overtly trying to affect education and politics their collective beliefs still influence decisions in those areas. If you support them in believing nonsense then you are doing them, and everybody else, a great disservice.

Labeling me as an angry atheist is not a put-down as far as I'm concerned. I am angry at what religion does to otherwise intelligent people and how it retards progress. If you aren't angry then you aren't paying attention.

Additionally, they put their beliefs onto their children. It's child abuse as far as I'm concerned to tell a child they are going to hell for offending an all-powerful sky genie. These children turn into adults and end up making all their decisions based on religious teachings which can impact how they end up living their lives. How many suicides occur from the LGBT community because their church, community, and families tell them that not only are they less than, they are going to be tortured for eternity simply for loving a member of the same sex? How many women are told that if they have sex before marriage they are letting God and their future husbands down? How many women are told to be subservient to their husbands and not live *their* dreams? How many kids go to sleep at night and have nightmares about God after being told some of the horrific stories in the Bible at 8 years old? How many people have their children avoid doctors and medical procedures because they believe praying actually works? Religion is not without victims.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 7 users Like jennybee's post
01-02-2016, 09:30 AM
(01-02-2016 08:56 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 06:52 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I can't stop them from believing whatever they want to believe but I disagree that anything that makes it easier for them is fine. They are living in delusion and no matter how benign their individual situation may be they are still making decisions and living their life in a way that is irrational. Their decisions affect others and that's likely to be bad for those affected. Even where they aren't overtly trying to affect education and politics their collective beliefs still influence decisions in those areas. If you support them in believing nonsense then you are doing them, and everybody else, a great disservice.

Labeling me as an angry atheist is not a put-down as far as I'm concerned. I am angry at what religion does to otherwise intelligent people and how it retards progress. If you aren't angry then you aren't paying attention.

Additionally, they put their beliefs onto their children. It's child abuse as far as I'm concerned to tell a child they are going to hell for offending an all-powerful sky genie. These children turn into adults and end up making all their decisions based on religious teachings which can impact how they end up living their lives. How many suicides occur from the LGBT community because their church, community, and families tell them that not only are they less than, they are going to be tortured for eternity simply for loving a member of the same sex? How many women are told that if they have sex before marriage they are letting God and their future husbands down? How many women are told to be subservient to their husbands and not live *their* dreams? How many kids go to sleep at night and have nightmares about God after being told some of the horrific stories in the Bible at 8 years old? How many people have their children avoid doctors and medical procedures because they believe praying actually works? Religion is not without victims.

And then there's this:

Shocking Numbers of Children Die in America When Their Parents Turn to Faith-Based Healing

Seth Andrews just had a podcast on this subject, he had a former Christian Scientist on his show telling about their tragic story.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 5 users Like TheInquisition's post
01-02-2016, 10:12 AM
(01-02-2016 08:56 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 06:52 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I can't stop them from believing whatever they want to believe but I disagree that anything that makes it easier for them is fine. They are living in delusion and no matter how benign their individual situation may be they are still making decisions and living their life in a way that is irrational. Their decisions affect others and that's likely to be bad for those affected. Even where they aren't overtly trying to affect education and politics their collective beliefs still influence decisions in those areas. If you support them in believing nonsense then you are doing them, and everybody else, a great disservice.

I agree with this!!! I just don't like it when Christianity tells people that they have sin when in fact they were born right the first time. I know the "story" of Adam and Eve is not real but many Xians do. It's not fair for their sin to be put on to everyone else.

There is no such thing as sin and there never was. This religion is obviously man made.
[+] 1 user Likes musicharmony87's post
01-02-2016, 10:20 AM
(01-02-2016 08:56 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Religion is not without victims.

If one will go by second part of this definition religion is nearly only about making victims. Indoctrinated people don't have the choice and are robbed of chance to choose whatever worldview they will see fit. Instead superstitions and nonsense are forced on them.

Religion isn't without victim, religion is primary provider of them.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
01-02-2016, 10:32 AM
(31-01-2016 09:41 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  
(31-01-2016 09:31 PM)coyote Wrote:  As long as they aren't trying to force it into our political and education systems, I will support them in believing what they believe and share their celebrations with them.

Are you not living in the United States? I ask because that is absolutely what they're doing here. They have attempted to force creationism into school curriculum. Religion is almost a requirement for political office if you live in the south. Planned Parenthood, civil marriage rights, scientific research, etc. have all been impeded by religious beliefs. To me, demanding that the creation story be taught alongside evolution is no less offensive than demanding that black magic be taught alongside chemistry. I'd say those are legitimate reasons to be angry, or at the very least, irritated.

But yes, I am greatful for Christmas. I do love that holiday. Tongue

Yeah, I know they are. And I am therefore very vocal about it in political contexts; t's why I bothered at all to create my proof of the impossibility of omnipotence.

But the OP was not attending a political context. He was attending just a typical service with his family. Yet there he is, raging in his mind against the pulpit.... he probably should opt out of sharing such events with his family in the future. It'll reduce his need for blood pressure meds Smile