What sin does everyone supposedly have?! A rant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2016, 10:47 AM
RE: What sin does everyone supposedly have?! A rant
(01-02-2016 10:32 AM)coyote Wrote:  Yeah, I know they are. And I am therefore very vocal about it in political contexts; t's why I bothered at all to create my proof of the impossibility of omnipotence.

But the OP was not attending a political context. He was attending just a typical service with his family. Yet there he is, raging in his mind against the pulpit.... he probably should opt out of sharing such events with his family in the future. It'll reduce his need for blood pressure meds Smile

Including the OP, there are seven posts on top of your first post in this thread. The one calling out "angry atheists". Since then two other posters have asked you to justify that statement. I can be number three.

The phrase "arguing with the pastor in my head" does not qualify as "raging in his mind." None of the other posts before yours (and few of the ones after) indicate any anger.

So are you going to answer us and define your statement?
Are you going to back up your claim or admit you were wrong?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
01-02-2016, 10:59 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2016 11:57 AM by guitar_nut.)
(01-02-2016 10:32 AM)coyote Wrote:  But the OP was not attending a political context. He was attending just a typical service with his family. Yet there he is, raging in his mind against the pulpit.... he probably should opt out of sharing such events with his family in the future. It'll reduce his need for blood pressure meds Smile

That's called "thought crime" and I would hope a fellow atheist wouldn't subscribe to it. She endured a service and kept her mouth shut, and chose to vent on a web forum rather than engage in debate with the congregation. I'd call that polite.

Those 'typical' services are the seeds for religious thinking. Typical does not mean harmless.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 2 users Like guitar_nut's post
01-02-2016, 11:11 AM
What sin does everyone supposedly have?! A rant
(01-02-2016 10:32 AM)coyote Wrote:  
(31-01-2016 09:41 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  Are you not living in the United States? I ask because that is absolutely what they're doing here. They have attempted to force creationism into school curriculum. Religion is almost a requirement for political office if you live in the south. Planned Parenthood, civil marriage rights, scientific research, etc. have all been impeded by religious beliefs. To me, demanding that the creation story be taught alongside evolution is no less offensive than demanding that black magic be taught alongside chemistry. I'd say those are legitimate reasons to be angry, or at the very least, irritated.

But yes, I am greatful for Christmas. I do love that holiday. Tongue

Yeah, I know they are. And I am therefore very vocal about it in political contexts; t's why I bothered at all to create my proof of the impossibility of omnipotence.

But the OP was not attending a political context. He was attending just a typical service with his family. Yet there he is, raging in his mind against the pulpit.... he probably should opt out of sharing such events with his family in the future. It'll reduce his need for blood pressure meds Smile

I'm a she not a he
[+] 1 user Likes musicharmony87's post
01-02-2016, 12:29 PM
(01-02-2016 10:47 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 10:32 AM)coyote Wrote:  Yeah, I know they are. And I am therefore very vocal about it in political contexts; t's why I bothered at all to create my proof of the impossibility of omnipotence.

Including the OP, there are seven posts on top of your first post in this thread. The one calling out "angry atheists". Since then two other posters have asked you to justify that statement. I can be number three.

The phrase "arguing with the pastor in my head" does not qualify as "raging in his mind." None of the other posts before yours (and few of the ones after) indicate any anger.

So are you going to answer us and define your statement?
Are you going to back up your claim or admit you were wrong?
Wow you are effin tedious hobbit. You pursue people with this nonsensical "I've asked you before" thing that demands that I should have looked at each and every post in the thread, found yours, and addressed your nonsense questions!! :eye roll: But since you're gonna do the whole "admit you were wrong" nonsense over an OPINION, here's my backing for my claim:

The OP said she had to refrain from rolling her eyes.

Any shrink will tell you that eye-rolling is not mere disagreement/argument. Eye rolling is active contempt, to the point that if marriage counsellors see it between couples they generally consider the marriage on the brink of failure. That is far more than a mere mental argument.

So there ya go. And I hereby state that I feel no obligation to view each and every post in each and every thread, and furthermore am not obliged to answer your relentless badgering.
01-02-2016, 01:19 PM
(01-02-2016 12:29 PM)coyote Wrote:  Wow you are effin tedious hobbit. You pursue people with this nonsensical "I've asked you before" thing that demands that I should have looked at each and every post in the thread, found yours, and addressed your nonsense questions!! :eye roll: But since you're gonna do the whole "admit you were wrong" nonsense over an OPINION, here's my backing for my claim:

The OP said she had to refrain from rolling her eyes.

Any shrink will tell you that eye-rolling is not mere disagreement/argument. Eye rolling is active contempt, to the point that if marriage counsellors see it between couples they generally consider the marriage on the brink of failure. That is far more than a mere mental argument.

So there ya go. And I hereby state that I feel no obligation to view each and every post in each and every thread, and furthermore am not obliged to answer your relentless badgering.

When you jump into a thread and call out people for being "angry atheists", you can expect someone will call you on it. This time, it was me. If that counts as "relentless badgering", I can live with that.

If you feel no obligation to verify your statements before making them, then that is a statement on your character, not mine or anyone else who takes exception to them. Blanket generalizations and self serving smugness are tedious.

And I call bullshit on your eyerolling statement. Like any other body language indicators, it needs to be taken in context. Given the rest of the post, the OP does not seem to me, or anyone else I note, to be angry or raging.

And I hereby state that you make take your place in line to kiss my hairy, hobbit hiney. Drinking Beverage

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 6 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
01-02-2016, 02:30 PM
(01-02-2016 08:17 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 06:55 AM)DerFish Wrote:  It is all Eve's fault. She did it. Then enticed Adam and for that God decided that all the billions of us coming later were guilty of the same sin of wanting to know. That is why religion is against science, the first sin recorded was that she was curious. Now don't you feel guilty? Because a mythical person was curious?

Vagina, causing the world's problems since 4000 BC.

True...

And it's the kinda problem that most guys would rather get into, than out of.....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
01-02-2016, 02:47 PM
To relate to the OP:

When I have gone to church, I often feel physically ill. Listening to the things that are said, people giving up their self worth and claiming to be sinners, the blind loyalty. I walk out feeling terrible. "Rolling your eyes" wouldn't even come close to communicating how my heart aches when I have to sit through that.

But I'm a pretty huge anti-theist, so Tongue.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
01-02-2016, 03:27 PM
I have the sin of being too sexy!
[+] 2 users Like OceanTherapist's post
01-02-2016, 03:29 PM
(01-02-2016 03:27 PM)OceanTherapist Wrote:  I have the sin of being too sexy!
Everytime I read your name, my mind first goes to, "Ocean, the rapist."

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
01-02-2016, 03:34 PM
(01-02-2016 03:29 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 03:27 PM)OceanTherapist Wrote:  I have the sin of being too sexy!
Everytime I read your name, my mind first goes to, "Ocean, the rapist."
And it just dawned on me that he hasn't named himself that.

*Mutters to self*

Well mind, this is why we can't be friends.