What song moves you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2014, 06:18 PM
RE: What song moves you?
Right now I'm listening to Ellie Golding - Ritual. In light of my deconversion, it is very emotional, if not painful.

Woof - I played In the Garden on my flute at my great grandmother'a funeral. It was also the lullaby I would sing to my son to put him to sleep.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
08-12-2014, 06:52 PM
I just thought of another one, about as far away from classical as you can get...

Sinead O'Connor "Nothing Compares 2U"

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-12-2014, 04:05 AM
Maggie
by
George Washington Johnson

I wander today to the hills Maggie
To watch the scene below
The creek and the creeking old mill Maggie
As we used to long long ago

The green grove is gone from the hills Maggie
Where first the daisiees' sprung
The creeking old mill is still Maggie
Since you and I were young

Oh they say that I'm feeble with age Maggie
My steps are much slower than them
My face is a well written page Maggie
And time all alone was the pen

They say we have out-lived our time Maggie
As dated as songs that we've sung
But to me you're as fair as you were Maggie
When you and I were young

They say we have out-lived our time Maggie
As dated as songs that we've sung
But to me you're as fair as you were Maggie

Sapere aude
10-12-2014, 05:13 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 05:31 AM by Miss Suzanne.)
There's quite a few but off the top of my head...

Natalie MacMaster- Julia's Waltz

Fleetwood Mac- Don't Stop

Julie Fowlis- The White Swan

The Best is Yet to Come

By the way, my heart is a sucker for Celtic music, especially if it involves Gaelic.

Oh yeah, Kate Rusby who has several songs that tug at my heart strings. Seriously, she's like a sad songs master or something.

[Image: notagain.gif]
10-12-2014, 06:06 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 06:09 AM by Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue.)
Let's go with sad stuff only. I'm feeling vaguely melancholy.

Why the fuck is there no playable version of Cries Too Hard on youtube? Check the lyics if you care:
Torch the moon, burn the schools
She wrote in red on her bedroom wall -
"Nothing's pure", the paint runs to the floor

She laughs too easily and cries too hard
Shouldn't drink alone, the colours run
How can she forgive
When we know well what we do?

Feather scratches on her wrist
Dry run with a bread knife for a final twist
It wouldn't be for show if it should come to this

How can she forgive

She was born to feel it all, to see it all
When I feel so lightly it's still burning brightly
And she won't look away

Torch the moon, burn the schools
Why's it a man making all the rules
Frida Khalo poster on her door

How can she forgive

And when I feel so lightly it's still burning brightly
And she won't look away
She won't look away
She won't look away

(08-12-2014 05:06 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  

other than that my moving music is pretty much megadeth and stevie wonderUndecided

I listened to most of this thread and I'd never heard this one before. (Not a rarity. Hadn't heard most of the others either.) This was particularly worth the listen

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
10-12-2014, 07:34 AM
This song pulls on my heart strings. The words. The music. I could listen to it over and over again.

Weeping Heart

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes LadyWallFlower's post
10-12-2014, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 10:30 PM by Atothetheist.)
Okay, long post, but here goes:

I woke up and quite by accident, stumbled into this thread, and I literally spent my whole day thinking about which songs moved me. Truth, a lot of the songs I listen to have moved me in one way or the other, but I won't go through all of them.

So, instead, I'll give you my top 15 (In no particular order,because it honestly depends on what mood I am) and their reasons why.

1. A Little Bit of Everything- Dawes
Alright, so I have kind of a special place in my heart for songs that conjure up images and tell a story. This song tells me three, all of them really powerful. I first heard this song whilst driving, and I have this compulsion to close my eyes when I a listening to a beautiful piece of music, so I was, naturally, compelled to pull over and let this song wash over me in all of its glory.

I have since come to relate to all three parts of this song, in my own ways, and you will almost always see me tear up when I play this song (number 69 on my playlist out of 230). I like its central message. 'it' (whatever you want to call it) isn't just one specific thing, its a little bit of everything.

2.Moonlight Sonata, Op 27, No.2 - Adagio Sostenuto by Beethoven
Another thing about me is that I am a big classical fan (My favorite instrument is the piano because it can produce such hauntingly beautiful melodies, like this one), and this is definitely my favorite classical piece because when I close my eyes (Or as I experienced at one particularly moving event, look up at the stars) I aways feel a sense of sadness coming from this song, like a man lost his love, and is just letting his fingers play out the sad, but beautiful melody of love and loss.

My favorite version of this is the Peter Nagy version, recorded in 1987, because it kinda has a sense of "off-key" which brings out the emotion ten fold. I love when this song is played slow, and a little bit off.

3. Hero of War - Rise Against
This is again, one of those that tells a story, but this story is not something I can personally relate to. I have never been in the Military/Armed Forces (nor do I ever plan to), and I do not personally know the sacrifices that they make on other's behalf. However, I know that things aren't exactly black and white, and that good people do bad things in events like war. Armed Forces and I don't exactly have the best relationship (I accept it as a necessary evil, but do not respect the unquestioning authoritative system they use and openly critical of them, though I respect those that our willing to die to defend my views immensely), and this song highlights a little bit of my problems and grievances. War and The Armed Forces can take good men, and break them beyond repair.

Also, I would like to point out that this song is unusual when looking at the scope of the band preforming. I absolutely love their other songs (Seriously, I highly recommend this band to anyone that seems to share a similar taste in music to me), but the uniqueness of this song certainly sets this apart. I still shed a tear at it when I think about those that only have hard choices, but still have to choose.

4. The Legend of John Henry's Hammer - Johnny Cash
This song absolutely makes me tear up, and it is unique in being the ONLY Country/Folk song that I like. I absolutely despise country, but this song pulls at my heartstrings with its message of determination, poverty, loyalty, and struggle. It chronicles the life and struggles of a man who I would consider a really really good person.

5. Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
Its really a shame to me that I had not been born with this song ingrained in my subconscious. Its one of those songs that gets me in the feels really badly (I sing along, keeping in mind all of those I lost, those that walked away from me, and those I've walked away from). In fact, I don't cry, but I remember all the good times I've had with those I've lost, and it gets me in a rather pensive mood, sometimes I am happy when I am listening, and others I pine for those that live in my past, and are ghosts (not in the literal sense) to me in the present.

6. Everybody Hurts - R.E.M
This one is obvious, and for obvious reasons, I can't have a top list of songs that move me without this one. It was written to move those with a heart. I find it hard to not relate to this song on any level, whether you being the one giving the advice, or the recipient. I've been on both ends many times, and this song has gotten me to look on the bright side of life more often that any other. It moves me to put things in perspective, and to help others

7. Who Wants to Live Forever - Queen
This will be the song played at my funeral. It saddens me to the point of depression, but there is an inherently good message I take away from it. Love and life derive some of its meaning from how fragile and finite it is. It also makes the point that the those finite moments can add up to a 'forever,' but not in the sense usually attached to the term. I doubt there will be moments in my life where I will grow tired of hearing this powerful song. Who wants forever, anyway?

8. So Cold (Acoustic) - Breaking Benjamin
This song, while lyrically powerful, is not the reason why it moves me. It is the reformer's voice whilst singing it. I don't know how to describe it other than emotional when he sings " Show me how defenseless you really are." I just feel his voice tugging at something deep inside me.

9. When My Time Comes - Dawes
This song is one of those songs that has described certain points in my life, and still continues to describe others. Its a song that reminds me of who I was, and who I am. What I most love about this song, and the band as well, is that it is so real. The band (specifically the lead singer) writes pretty much all of their songs (minus one that was a collaboration). You don't see a lot of that nowadays. But whenever I hear this song, I think of me, and a feeling of melancholy comes along with that. Its not that I hate myself, but rather that I hate certain points of my life, and my participation in certain things. This song brings all of that out to the surface.

10. Like a Stone - Audioslave
I am not going to deny it, I LOVE rock. It is literally MY genre. I love pretty much all type of rock, Classic, Modern, Soft, Hard. A lot of it moves me in different emotions, and this is one of those. Instead of really making me sad (tere are parts to this song that are really a bit depressing), it moves me to believe that someday, I will be with that one particular person I love, that I long for the most in this world. It might be someone I love now, or have loved... It might be a future someone that I long for. Whatever it is, its a song that makes me sing. I sing this song at night, kind of like a ritual whenever I am in the mood to long for that person. In many ways, this song is a promise.

11. Save Me - Queen
I have been a fan of Queen for years. I was attracted to the band's personality at first ( a large part of that was due to Freddie Mercury, what a guy), but I also loved their music. However, I never really had a song from them that moved me until this one (I became aware of Who Wants To Live Forever after). Again, this is one of those songs where it is absolutely the vocals that moves me. Freddie sings this song with such emotion I can not help but feel for him. I almost think that he had to have gone through a situation just like that in order to sing it the way he did.

It is one of those songs I play on repeat often. I never stop feeling something for this tune.

12. Bulls on Parade - Rage Against The Machine
Are you surprised? Well, the definition of 'moved' is to be compelled. This is a compelling song for me. It does not make me sad, but rather the opposite. I love this song because I love the style of it. It screams anti-authority (The band in general does). I just get so fucking pumped when I hear this song. I feel like I can just move mountains and kick some real ass.

13. Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Machine
Again, this song is a song of rebellion, and I fucking love it. I especially love the last bit. Rage Against the Machine has some kick ass instrumentals and while the lyrics of this particular song are repetitive, its always really fun to sing with your best friends in a car just doing whatever.

14. Halleljah - Jeff Buckley
Have you ever encountered a song so beautiful that it caused you to cry the very first time you heard it, because you knew there was something inherently tragic about the way it was sung? That was the feeling I got when I heard this. They way he sings and plays this song make it so powerful, the tremors in his voice made me shake. I was familiar with the song before.... but not like this, not the way Jeff Buckley played it. I just had to figure out more about him, and it turns out, that the tragedy I had perceived in the song was in fact, a reality.

RIP Jeff Buckley

15. Hurt - Johnny Cash
Wow... This song, and the video accompanying it made me bawl. I ama fan of Johnny Cash. I like a lot of his songs (Songs I maintain, are not within the same genre as country). He has this way of just... baring his soul. I saw this video and I knew that this song would stick with me. I saw it as a reflection of his life, and it shares a certain familiarity with mine. Do not trust me, I only seem to let others down.

Fifteen is barely scratching the surface for me. So many songs, so many emotions.

I hope you guys at least pick up one song that you agree with.

-Steven

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 5 users Like Atothetheist's post
10-12-2014, 08:35 PM
I have utterly no idea how I missed this song.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
11-12-2014, 12:42 AM
Came across this tonight, haven't heard it in a while. These guys are pretty much like a fad from yesterday already, but I don't know how many people really appreciate how good these guys were musically, and how poetically they show us how irrationally brutal we are to each other as humans.

Got my mind to wandering tonight a bit, had a thought. (I may have had a drink....)

We are stardust. We are the product of one of the most violent reactions that we know of in the universe.
.......It was therefore I am.......what can we really expect?

I'm going to bed, g'nite you's guys.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
29-03-2015, 11:42 AM
Leaving - Fight or Flight

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.