What sort of evidence would it take for atheists to believe in a creator?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
29-01-2014, 09:36 PM
RE: What sort of evidence would it take for atheists to believe in a creator?
(29-01-2014 09:31 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  We live in very different worlds. Theists are a minority here and as such the term atheist means nothing to me.

Must mean something to you, for you to troll 88 pages worth of whining about it.

Drinking Beverage

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2014, 09:46 PM
(29-01-2014 09:29 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(29-01-2014 09:07 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  I agree. I don't identify as an atheist as it's not a worthwhile label about me. That's is what I find so confusing about atheism. Like you said so you wear it in spite, that doesn't seem like a valid reason to me.

Wrong again.
You just don't get it. YOU don't get to tell other people (especially people you don't know), what motivates them, and what they think. Are you as totally obnoxious IRL as you appear to be on TTA ? I thank my lucky stars I know no one, and don't have to work or live with anyone as obnoxious and pig-headed as you.

Your question doesn't really make much sense. You seem to think I should be able to assess your perception of how obnoxious I am, to people I know in real life.

You can call yourself whatever you want based on personal preference. If you identify as an atheist due to some sort of marginalisation you've experienced I can understand. If you posit the term atheist is a justifiable position philosophically, despite it being based on someone else's position, and proposing a lack of belief, it's nonsensical.
29-01-2014, 09:49 PM
(29-01-2014 09:35 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Yes I know your focus on practical application. How would you propose that rationalism, for example, would provide a better insight into practical application than empiricism?
Well, considering that rationalism and empiricism are more or less polar opposites, I don't see how the former can give us any insight into practical application.

As far as I understand it, rationalism is an epistemological philosophy that concerns itself with gaining knowledge not through sensory experiences, but reason and human intuition alone.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
29-01-2014, 09:51 PM
(29-01-2014 09:49 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(29-01-2014 09:35 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Yes I know your focus on practical application. How would you propose that rationalism, for example, would provide a better insight into practical application than empiricism?
Well, considering that rationalism and empiricism are more or less polar opposites, I don't see how the former can give us any insight into practical application.

As far as I understand it, rationalism is an epistemological philosophy that concerns itself with gaining knowledge not through sensory experiences, but reason and human intuition alone.

So it's incorrect due to lack of focus on practical application?
29-01-2014, 09:58 PM
(29-01-2014 09:46 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Your question doesn't really make much sense. You seem to think I should be able to assess your perception of how obnoxious I am, to people I know in real life.

You can call yourself whatever you want based on personal preference. If you identify as an atheist due to some sort of marginalisation you've experienced I can understand. If you posit the term atheist is a justifiable position philosophically, despite it being based on someone else's position, and proposing a lack of belief, it's nonsensical.

1. I didn't ask a question.
2. I've never been "marginalized" by anyone at any time. I won't go into it further here, but I walk in and out of any circle I choose, (religious, social, and academic), and have never ever experienced what you said. You "project" your ignorant opinions on people, you have NO CLUE about.
3. My "Igtheism"/atheism is completely my own. It's based on MY OWN study and thought. It's not based on ANYTHING anyone else said, or anyone else's opinions. . More ignorant projection on your pig-headed part.
4. What IS "nonsensical" is your continued ignorant projection of other's thoughts, lives, experiences, and motives whom you know absolutely NOTHING about.
5. It's not about you. You are the perfect DEFINITION of a "prejudiced" person.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
29-01-2014, 09:59 PM
(29-01-2014 09:51 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  So it's incorrect due to lack of focus on practical application?
I distinctly remember suggesting you to stick to the things I say in my posts. Consider

In any case, I never so much as hinted at the notion that a philosophy with no practical application is incorrect, I said that it has little merit to me because I'm a pragmatist.

[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
29-01-2014, 10:01 PM
(29-01-2014 08:31 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(29-01-2014 08:01 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Believe nothing, question everything.
The "divide" you speak of, is in this thread. You posted in a debate thread defending, or at least seemed like defending, theism. You really surprised you got a reply like mine?

No not surprised. The divide I speak of is very apparent to me, obviously not to you.

I must admit I find scepticism to be the equivalent of a meandering Woody Allen movie. Given it seems like the majority here, I think I'm in the wrong place.

You'll find scepticism to be as varied as people are. Sorry, but that's how it goes. Everybody is different, and nobody holds the exact same standards as anyone else, especially in an international community such as this. Thanks for the generalization though.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
29-01-2014, 10:39 PM
(28-01-2014 11:36 AM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  What sort of proof or evidence would you require to believe in a creator?

It really depends on the god. Start by defining the god you are asking about. I could probably guess by reading the rest of what you typed about miracles and such, but this works much better if you define just the bare essence of the god in question.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 1 user Likes toadaly's post
30-01-2014, 01:07 AM
(29-01-2014 09:58 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(29-01-2014 09:46 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Your question doesn't really make much sense. You seem to think I should be able to assess your perception of how obnoxious I am, to people I know in real life.

1. I didn't ask a question.
2. I've never been "marginalized" by anyone at any time. I won't go into it further here, but I walk in and out of any circle I choose, (religious, social, and academic), and have never ever experienced what you said. You "project" your ignorant opinions on people, you have NO CLUE about.
3. My "Igtheism"/atheism is completely my own. It's based on MY OWN study and thought. It's not based on ANYTHING anyone else said, or anyone else's opinions. . More ignorant projection on your pig-headed part.
4. What IS "nonsensical" is your continued ignorant projection of other's thoughts, lives, experiences, and motives whom you know absolutely NOTHING about.
5. It's not about you. You are the perfect DEFINITION of a "prejudiced" person.

1. I will be making a numbered bullet list too.
2. "Are you as totally obnoxious IRL as you appear to be on TTA ?" is a question. (see 1)
3. You must have been very average in every respect to have never been marginalised. (see 2)
4. Igtheism and atheism are not your words as far as I'm aware. I'm also impressed that you perspective is not based on anyone else's thoughts. I like to read so I can learn things, some of us aren't blessed in original thought like you. (see 3)
5. You're welcome to think believe and whatever you want. That you identify as something which lacks a belief in what someone else believes is your call. Why don't you identify as someone who aphilatelist, unless of course you collect stamps?Wink (see 5)
6. How do you know this? Shouldn't you be sceptical? (see 5)
30-01-2014, 01:24 AM
(30-01-2014 01:07 AM)Brownshirt Wrote:  5. You're welcome to think believe and whatever you want. That you identify as something which lacks a belief in what someone else believes is your call. Why don't you identify as someone who aphilatelist, unless of course you collect stamps? (see 5)

[Image: 069.jpg]