What sort of evidence would it take for atheists to believe in a creator?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
28-01-2014, 01:23 PM
Re: RE: What sort of evidence would it take for atheists to believe in a creator?
(28-01-2014 01:17 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(28-01-2014 01:16 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  Is that for the Buddhist deity?

There is no Buddhist deity. Angel

Technically no, Buddhism is an atheistic religion yet there is a huge amount of supernatural baloney and some deity worship (especially among some Chinese).

Using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Phil Hill's post
28-01-2014, 01:27 PM
RE: What sort of evidence would it take for atheists to believe in a creator?
(28-01-2014 01:17 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(28-01-2014 01:16 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  Is that for the Buddhist deity?

There is no Buddhist deity. Angel

LOL you haven't looked into the tibetan "buddhist" religions. They are Hobo ....

(28-01-2014 01:23 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  
(28-01-2014 01:17 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  There is no Buddhist deity. Angel

Technically no, Buddhism is an atheistic religion yet there is a huge amount of supernatural baloney and some deity worship (especially among some Chinese).

Indeed. Originally it was atheistic, but the Brahmins sort of swallowed Buddhism rather quickly and turned it into, well....Brahminism. More or less....

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
28-01-2014, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Quote:And if He JUST ... SHOWS UP, He WINS!!!!!

Ok, so if someone showed up claiming to be God personified, would you believe him?

Sorry, I came to the conclusion on a previous thread that you're not really looking for answers, so I'm not going to get embroiled in a nonsensical conversation with you. Peace.
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post
28-01-2014, 01:30 PM
(28-01-2014 11:36 AM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  What sort of proof or evidence would you require to believe in a creator?
Anything which is observable,testable and falsifiable.Drinking Beverage

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
28-01-2014, 01:34 PM
Re: RE: What sort of evidence would it take for atheists to believe in a creator?
(28-01-2014 01:17 PM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  
(28-01-2014 12:12 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  The creator would know.

Ok, props, that's a better answer than I thought I would get, lol.

So, what if the creator knows that the answer is "as long as people have the free will to be able to choose not to believe, some will use that free will and choose not to believe."?

(28-01-2014 12:24 PM)Dom Wrote:  Very simple - watch him create something.

If he shows up here and creates a live animal and I see him do it, I'll believe he can create animals.

Really, I've seen magicians do that with bunnies many times before. I don't think I'd be any less skeptical of the trick if the magician claimed to be God.

(28-01-2014 12:27 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  You want to know what proof I'll accept? Here's what proof I'll accept:

I challenge God/The Creator to a debate on His existence.

Topics to be discussed:
1. Does He exist?
2. What would constitute irrefutable proof of His existence?

That's it. That's the whole topic of the debate.

It would just be me and God. No intermediaries.

And if He JUST FUCKING SHOWS UP, He WINS!!!!!

Ok, so if someone showed up claiming to be God personified, would you believe him?

You do realize your agenda comes through loud and clear when you ignore my post and go for soft ones.

Using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes Phil Hill's post
28-01-2014, 01:35 PM
(28-01-2014 01:09 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Simple.

Look underneath the creation.

Find the deistic equivalent of "Made in China".
Your post made my day Bowing

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
[+] 1 user Likes IndianAtheist's post
28-01-2014, 01:37 PM
(28-01-2014 01:34 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  
(28-01-2014 01:17 PM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  Ok, props, that's a better answer than I thought I would get, lol.

So, what if the creator knows that the answer is "as long as people have the free will to be able to choose not to believe, some will use that free will and choose not to believe."?

Really, I've seen magicians do that with bunnies many times before. I don't think I'd be any less skeptical of the trick if the magician claimed to be God.

You do realize your agenda comes through loud and clear when you ignore my post and go for soft ones.

DITTO HERE, NOTlookingforanswers.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
28-01-2014, 01:39 PM
(28-01-2014 01:17 PM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  Ok, so if someone showed up claiming to be God personified, would you believe him?

No. He would at least need to have a california driver's license. More points for him if he carries a motorcycle endorsement.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
28-01-2014, 01:44 PM
(28-01-2014 11:36 AM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  I have tried discussing some of the arguments and philosophical 'proofs' for the existence of a creator, but I keep coming up against the statement of "there is no proof/evidence for the existence of a creator". Instead of simply being annoyed by the fact that the comment seemed to ignore my arguments and philosophical 'proofs', I figured that I would ask this question of the atheists on this page:
The philosophical arguments in question are being dismissed because they are not sound; a fact that has been pointed out to you several times.

(28-01-2014 11:36 AM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  What sort of proof or evidence would you require to believe in a creator?
I don't know; see below.

(28-01-2014 11:36 AM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  The question was raised in my head when an atheist said to me, "if God wanted to settle this argument he could easily do so." So, I thought to myself, "Is that actually true?"
Whether or not that statement is true depends on the God in question. As WillHopp has already pointed out, the classical God of monotheism could easily convince every single person on Earth of his existence because he is both omnipotent and omniscient.

(28-01-2014 11:36 AM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  Is it reasonable to hold any belief (atheism included) when no "evidence" could possibly exist that would change your mind, and how is that any different than having blind faith?
Firstly, referring to atheism as a belief is inaccurate at best and dishonest at worst considering that many, if not most, of the non-religious members on this forum identify as agnostic atheists.

Secondly, no, it is not reasonable to hold a belief that cannot be changed by evidence.

Thirdly, the difference between the above and blind faith is that the latter can, in theory, be changed by evidence.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 6 users Like Vosur's post
28-01-2014, 01:44 PM