What sort of evidence would it take for atheists to believe in a creator?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
07-02-2014, 07:12 AM
RE: What sort of evidence would it take for atheists to believe in a creator?
In terms of evidence, I'd need to see all the bids from the contractors, how much the winner undercut the competitors and whether they managed to deliver the universe on time.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Mathilda's post
07-02-2014, 05:31 PM
(07-02-2014 07:12 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  In terms of evidence, I'd need to see all the bids from the contractors, how much the winner undercut the competitors and whether they managed to deliver the universe on time.

I'm not even sure construction is complete yet.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
07-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Brownshirt, do I have this right regarding your position?

That there are levels of belief and disbelief (strong theist to strong atheist), and so there must be a middle ground where one can have the position of neither believing nor disbelieving in a god.

That this stems from coming to the conclusion that nothing is 100% knowable.

That, because of this, the question of whether there is a god or not is not worth your attention.

That this is the position of an agnostic.
07-02-2014, 07:59 PM
Don't forget that he babbles the theist "you can't prove naturalism" bullshit over and over as if he couldn't prove it to himself by sticking my shotgun in his mouth and pulling the triggers. Rolleyes

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
07-02-2014, 09:47 PM
(07-02-2014 06:46 PM)joben1 Wrote:  Brownshirt, do I have this right regarding your position?

That there are levels of belief and disbelief (strong theist to strong atheist), and so there must be a middle ground where one can have the position of neither believing nor disbelieving in a god.

That, because of this, the question of whether there is a god or not is not worth your attention.

This doesn't sound completely agnostic to me either, though.

"...nothing is 100% knowable."

Is this not a self-defeating positive assertion?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
08-02-2014, 08:31 PM
(07-02-2014 09:47 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 06:46 PM)joben1 Wrote:  Brownshirt, do I have this right regarding your position?

This doesn't sound completely agnostic to me either, though.

"...nothing is 100% knowable."

Is this not a self-defeating positive assertion?

Yes. That's one of the reasons I'm asking the question.
09-02-2014, 01:37 PM

My position doesn't see any reason to assume humanity possesses the necessary faculties to make an assessment of reality (as it is).

Perhaps we do, but I see no reason to believe that to be the case. Many atheists make that assumption, but for some reason this assumption is the only acceptable one to make according to the atheist.
09-02-2014, 07:07 PM
(09-02-2014 01:37 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  

My position doesn't see any reason to assume humanity possesses the necessary faculties to make an assessment of reality (as it is).

Perhaps we do, but I see no reason to believe that to be the case. Many atheists make that assumption, but for some reason this assumption is the only acceptable one to make according to the atheist.

Again, does what I have written there accurately describe your position? If not, it would be greatly appreciated if you would point out the error(s) in my understanding of said position.
09-02-2014, 07:38 PM
(09-02-2014 07:07 PM)joben1 Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 01:37 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  My position doesn't see any reason to assume humanity possesses the necessary faculties to make an assessment of reality (as it is).

Again, does what I have written there accurately describe your position? If not, it would be greatly appreciated if you would point out the error(s) in my understanding of said position.

Address what I've written, not some questions you deem to be relevant.
09-02-2014, 07:43 PM
(09-02-2014 01:37 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  Perhaps we do, but I see no reason to believe that to be the case. Many atheists make that assumption, but for some reason this assumption is the only acceptable one to make according to the atheist.

Prove it. Let's see your polling data.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.