What sort of evidence would it take for atheists to believe in a creator?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
05-01-2015, 05:38 PM
RE: What sort of evidence would it take for atheists to believe in a creator?
(05-01-2015 07:40 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(05-01-2015 06:21 AM)f stop Wrote:  The original meaning of the word apology was defense. E.g., Plato's Apology. So Christian apologists are defending Christianity, not apologizing for it in the modern sense.

Kinda like ignorant theists thinking a scientific theory is a hunch, huh?
"Creationists make it sound as though a 'theory' is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night." - Isaac Asimov

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2015, 06:36 PM
(28-01-2014 11:36 AM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  What sort of proof or evidence would you require to believe in a creator?

Er...any?

Strange question...

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
05-01-2015, 07:01 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2015 07:13 PM by TheInquisition.)
We hear this silliness about Christians having a relationship and not a religion. What if god behaved as he did in the Genesis myth? He comes down and talks to you, hangs out, plays X-Box with you, eats with your friends and family.

Basically he exists like a real, actual person! Not some imaginary thing in someone's "heart" (biblical anatomical ignorance on display) that did impressive things thousands of years ago, but no more.

I had my fill of the purveyors of woo telling me how you will find him if you believe. You'll never see him though, just like you'll find snipes if you believe, but you'll never actually see one, excuse me for calling BS on their snipe hunt.

[Image: Invisible-god.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
05-01-2015, 08:50 PM
(05-01-2015 08:41 AM)Ace Wrote:  
(05-01-2015 08:23 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  [Image: this-thread.jpg]

and how do you kill something that has already died ? Blink

You name a religion after it.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-01-2015, 12:06 AM
I don't need evidence for a god to start doing some god damn good in the world. I don't need to believe. I don't need to accept anything.

When the famine stricken regions of the world suddenly become lush and plentiful with food to feed the starving people, I'll say "Good job"

When the all drug war lords are dead and drug addicts cured of addiction, I'll nod my head and go back to typing away on my book.

When I don't even notice that the world had become a better place to live nearly over night, this will be my cue to say "bout fucking time"

I don't need evidence. I just need all this stuff taken care of.
End of story

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
07-01-2015, 11:03 PM
Giving atheists evidence means that they've already won.

Truth seeker.
08-01-2015, 08:58 AM
(07-01-2015 11:03 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Giving atheists evidence means that they've already won.

You already lost - you're just too delusional to realize it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-01-2015, 09:20 AM
(07-01-2015 11:03 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Giving atheists evidence means that they've already won.

Isn't that special.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
08-01-2015, 10:39 AM

What kind of evidence would it take for a theist to consider the possibility that he/she might be mistaken concerning the existence of God?

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
[+] 1 user Likes 666wannabe's post
08-01-2015, 10:42 AM
(08-01-2015 10:39 AM)666wannabe Wrote:  
(28-01-2014 11:36 AM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  

What kind of evidence would it take for a theist to consider the possibility that he/she might be mistaken concerning the existence of God?

That's the question I want asked BEFORE.. or right at the beginning of any debate about God that a religious person has.

Seeing the end of the Nye vs Ham debate, where Ham proudly stated at the end when asked that- nothing, was sickening to see. There's no credibility or worth to listen to them(as if there was) when they make those stances.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson