What sort of evidence would it take for atheists to believe in a creator?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
09-01-2015, 09:54 AM
RE: What sort of evidence would it take for atheists to believe in a creator?
Won? So ... there's a competition?

If the prize isn't a new toaster oven then fuckit, I'm out.

No toaster oven, no god. <---There's your fucking bumper sticker. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
09-01-2015, 10:06 AM
(07-01-2015 11:03 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Giving atheists evidence means that they've already won.

So evidence of a god means that atheists are correct. Hobo

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
09-01-2015, 06:07 PM
(08-01-2015 10:42 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(08-01-2015 10:39 AM)666wannabe Wrote:  What kind of evidence would it take for a theist to consider the possibility that he/she might be mistaken concerning the existence of God?

That's the question I want asked BEFORE.. or right at the beginning of any debate about God that a religious person has.

Seeing the end of the Nye vs Ham debate, where Ham proudly stated at the end when asked that- nothing, was sickening to see. There's no credibility or worth to listen to them(as if there was) when they make those stances.

Hebrews 11;1 states that "Faith is the evidence of things unseen". As long as someone believes this crap, they will not be able to express doubts or question their faith. See Sye ten Bruggencate's presuppositionalism.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
09-01-2015, 06:27 PM
(08-01-2015 10:39 AM)666wannabe Wrote:  What kind of evidence would it take for a theist to consider the possibility that he/she might be mistaken concerning the existence of God?
I can tell you what kind of evidence it took for this former theist.

100% of prayer requests produced results indistinguishable from random happenstance. Even in cases where the request was appropriate, selfless, and absolutely necessary as well as Biblically authorized and promised. People literally died for lack of answers. I'm not talking about praying for sunshine for my picnic or something.

That, and the evidence of the "Problem of Evil" (which I prefer to call the "problem of suffering"). There is no logical way for Christian theodicy to work if the usual personal, tri-omni god is on offer.

Finally, related to both of the above -- my life played out exactly as one would expect if god were absent, indifferent, or non-existent; and it did not play out as one would expect if god were present, caring, benevolent, aware and able.
[+] 7 users Like mordant's post
10-01-2015, 06:48 AM
What kind of water would it take for you to believe in Poseidon ?

When presented with evidence you can change a rational persons belief about any subject.

No amount of evidence can change an irrational persons belief, because their beliefs aren't justified in the first place.

The Atheist mind is a house of million open doors with keys (evidence ) that have opened those doors.

The theist mind has many open doors, but the one marked religion is closed.

Essentially in your question is "what key would it take to close your door and lock it so that you can internally believe in a god" ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
10-01-2015, 11:02 AM
(07-01-2015 11:03 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Giving atheists evidence means that they've already won.

No. You left out a word and added one too many.

Giving atheists evidence would mean they've lost

So fess up with some evidence and I'll admit losing.

drumming fingers.

now..... filing fingers.

Girl_nails

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
10-01-2015, 11:44 AM
You've said some really dumb shit on this forum diddo but this one is top ten maybe top 5 for utter face palming stupidity.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
10-01-2015, 01:40 PM
(09-02-2014 01:37 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  My position doesn't see any reason to assume humanity possesses the necessary faculties to make an assessment of reality (as it is).

So are you a solopsist as well? If you see no reason to assume humans can make an accurate assessment of reality, why assume that reality exists in any meaningful sense? Or that any entity other than yourself is real?

We lived based on a lot of axioms. These axioms are based on observation and philosophy, but cannot be proven. They are accepted because there is no way to have any sort of discussion about anything without them. Among these are that the universe exists, and that the minds we have are not the only ones, and that we have the ability to perceive reality as it truly is but not all the time, and that the basic logical laws of non-contradiction are correct. There may be others, but without those all conversation dead-ends before it gets started.
[+] 1 user Likes OddGamer's post