What sort of evidence would it take for atheists to believe in a creator?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
28-01-2014, 04:25 PM
RE: What sort of evidence would it take for atheists to believe in a creator?
(28-01-2014 04:20 PM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  
(28-01-2014 04:12 PM)Chas Wrote:  And you are pre-supposing that there is nothing that would convince an atheist. Drinking Beverage

No, I am not. I asked the question of what would convince an atheist. I was genuinely curious. Feel free to provide me with your answer.

I agree with WillHop's answer. There is no reason to believe I can know what the convincing evidence would be.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
28-01-2014, 04:38 PM
(28-01-2014 04:20 PM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  No, I am not. I asked the question of what would convince an atheist.
And you have yet to respond to Cardinal Smurf and me. Both of us submitted our posts prior to other people you have responded to.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
28-01-2014, 04:40 PM
(28-01-2014 04:18 PM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  Oh and Taqiyya Mockingbird, I had stopped reading or responding to your posts because of what an obvious troll you are, but I just had to respond to your image there about how to debate a Christian.

I find it awesome to read that the first thing on there is exactly what I asked you guys, "Can you envision anything that would change your mind on this topic?" and simply asking the question seems to have sent you, TwoCultSurvivor and Phil Hill into rage-quitting a rational discussion (ok, to be fair, you rage-quit on the other threads too, but my point still remains).

For any of you guys who don't think that I am looking for answers, you can feel free to think what you want. But, just because you haven't been able to provide me with any reason to accept the answers that you are giving me, doesn't mean that I'm not looking.

What evidence might convince you that you have received an answer?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 8 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
28-01-2014, 04:42 PM
(28-01-2014 04:18 PM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  Oh and Taqiyya Mockingbird, I had stopped reading or responding to your posts because of what an obvious troll you are

You wish, asshole. I eat trolls like you for fun. And you ignore my rebuttals to your asinine assertions at your own peril. Ignoring them doesn't make them go away.

Quote:, but I just had to respond to your image there about how to debate a Christian.

I find it awesome to read that the first thing on there is exactly what I asked you guys, "Can you envision anything that would change your mind on this topic?"

I find it despicable that you CLAIM to be so delighted that WE are willing to change our minds given sufficient evidence, and YOU are NOT.

Quote:and simply asking the question seems to have sent you, TwoCultSurvivor and Phil Hill into rage-quitting a rational discussion (ok, to be fair, you rage-quit on the other threads too, but my point still remains).

It's YOU who rage-quit by using flimsy and transparent excuses to ignore my rebuttals (as well as those of others).

Quote:For any of you guys who don't think that I am looking for answers, you can feel free to think what you want.

We don't "think" you are NOT "looking for answers". We can SEE it for ourselves.

HipTip: NO ONE who comes into a forum like this with a moniker like you have chosen is being honest. It's the very first sign of a, apologetard troll.

Quote: But, just because you haven't been able to provide me with any reason to accept the answers that you are giving me, doesn't mean that I'm not looking.

Keep deluding yourself, numbnuts. Everyone else is saying the same thing to you: You are being a disingenuous fucktard.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
28-01-2014, 04:46 PM
(28-01-2014 04:02 PM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  
(28-01-2014 02:24 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  First, I give you the best possible, most complete answer you could ask for, something that even shocked you, and yet you still have to modify. TM is most correct, you are NOTlookingforanswers.

And how do you modify? By giving me an answer (inside another answer) from a creator to a question that wasn't asked? You're begging the question with a question you didn't even ask!

Free will, whether anyone believes we have it or not, wouldn't even come into play when the creator knows what would convince even the most staunch pessimist or skeptic. Your reply is rendered moot by my first answer. So I'm apparently clairvoyant, which now means I have to believe in the supernatural and therefore your creator really does exist! Wink

Seriously, what's the deal? Why aren't you satisfied with the perfect response? You said you were open to being convinced, so acquiesce and just move on to your next question to which you're not really looking for answers.

Hey, I gave you props, I conceded that it was an excellent answer. Don't let it go to your head, though.

The point was that your answer still presupposes that there is something that would convince the staunchest pessimist. That was the point of the response. You gave a clever answer, but it still assumes your conclusion (that there is something that would convince the staunchest atheist). My challenge was for a concrete example of evidence that you would consider convincing.

I gave you one. You -- in your belligerent willful ignorance -- refuse to debate it.

Quote:You wouldn't accept the answer of "God knows" from me, so you shouldn't expect me to accept it from you, either ;-p

Disingenuous fuckwit.

28-01-2014, 04:46 PM
(28-01-2014 04:42 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Keep deluding yourself, numbnuts. Everyone else is saying the same thing to you: You are being a disingenuous fucktard.

Dude, please don't speak for me. Not cool.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 4 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
28-01-2014, 04:49 PM
(28-01-2014 04:20 PM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  
(28-01-2014 04:12 PM)Chas Wrote:  And you are pre-supposing that there is nothing that would convince an atheist. Drinking Beverage

No, I am not. I asked the question of what would convince an atheist. I was genuinely curious. Feel free to provide me with your answer.

You GOT answers. You are simply using dishonest pretexts to dodge them. If I had a nickel for every dipshit apologetard troll that pulled that same routine -- thinking, like you, that it's clever -- I wouldn't have to work for a living.

28-01-2014, 05:07 PM
(28-01-2014 04:02 PM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  Hey, I gave you props, I conceded that it was an excellent answer. Don't let it go to your head, though.

The point was that your answer still presupposes that there is something that would convince the staunchest pessimist. That was the point of the response. You gave a clever answer, but it still assumes your conclusion (that there is something that would convince the staunchest atheist). My challenge was for a concrete example of evidence that you would consider convincing.

You wouldn't accept the answer of "God knows" from me, so you shouldn't expect me to accept it from you, either ;-p

Yes, you gave me props, and thank you. But my answer wasn't clever; it was true, given the parameters of your question. You presupposed that there is a creator who made everything, including me. If that creator made me, it would know what it would take for me to believe in it. Also, by asking a hypothetical question that includes "god" (since you are now calling the creator that), then I am 100% in my rights to say "God knows." You, on the other hand, are not because your "God knows" is still unproved. My "God knows" is purely hypothetical and the entire premise of your query.

If you want me to give you a more tangible ABC answer, then how about this: The act performed by this creator would have to be on a global scale, something no one could deny, such as turning the sky to night everywhere at once, then rearrange the stars to spell out, "This is god, please forgive me for being so cryptic and stupid. I would really appreciate it if you would all get along and believe in me. By the way, of course there's no hell, and lookingforanswers is correct."

Mind you, these stars would have to spell this out so that every person simultaneously looking up would be able to read it in their native language.

Let's start with that. No one could deny it, because the entire world would have to be on one gigantic acid trip, and that isn't happening. No amount of free will could change the fact what six billion people just witnessed.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like WillHopp's post
28-01-2014, 05:12 PM
(28-01-2014 05:07 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Yes, you gave me props, and thank you. But my answer wasn't clever; it was true, given the parameters of your question. You presupposed that there is a creator who made everything, including me. If that creator made me, it would know what it would take for me to believe in it.

In fact, if such an entity had made us and wanted us to believe in it, it could have made us already believing in it. And it could have made us in a way that we would do its bidding without any need for a preposterous system of supposed rewards and punishments.

28-01-2014, 05:18 PM
(28-01-2014 05:12 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(28-01-2014 05:07 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Yes, you gave me props, and thank you. But my answer wasn't clever; it was true, given the parameters of your question. You presupposed that there is a creator who made everything, including me. If that creator made me, it would know what it would take for me to believe in it.

In fact, if such an entity had made us and wanted us to believe in it, it could have made us already believing in it. And it could have made us in a way that we would do its bidding without any need for a preposterous system of supposed rewards and punishments.

What I find scary is you're typical of many atheists.