What sort of evidence would it take for atheists to believe in a creator?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
28-01-2014, 05:26 PM
What sort of evidence would it take for atheists to believe in a creator?
(28-01-2014 05:12 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(28-01-2014 05:07 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Yes, you gave me props, and thank you. But my answer wasn't clever; it was true, given the parameters of your question. You presupposed that there is a creator who made everything, including me. If that creator made me, it would know what it would take for me to believe in it.

In fact, if such an entity had made us and wanted us to believe in it, it could have made us already believing in it. And it could have made us in a way that we would do its bidding without any need for a preposterous system of supposed rewards and punishments.

For that matter, why create such pathetic subordinates? If one possessed the capability to easily propagate oneself, why not do so? Why not make peers?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
28-01-2014, 05:27 PM
RE: What sort of evidence would it take for atheists to believe in a creator?
(28-01-2014 04:46 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(28-01-2014 04:42 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Keep deluding yourself, numbnuts. Everyone else is saying the same thing to you: You are being a disingenuous fucktard.

Dude, please don't speak for me. Not cool.

By all means, DO continue to speak for me Big Grin

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
28-01-2014, 05:47 PM
(28-01-2014 05:18 PM)Brownshirt Wrote:  
(28-01-2014 05:12 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  In fact, if such an entity had made us and wanted us to believe in it, it could have made us already believing in it. And it could have made us in a way that we would do its bidding without any need for a preposterous system of supposed rewards and punishments.

What I find scary is you're typical of many atheists.

Glad you are pissing your pants. Laughat Not surprising.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
28-01-2014, 05:54 PM
(28-01-2014 05:26 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(28-01-2014 05:12 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  In fact, if such an entity had made us and wanted us to believe in it, it could have made us already believing in it. And it could have made us in a way that we would do its bidding without any need for a preposterous system of supposed rewards and punishments.

For that matter, why create such pathetic subordinates? If one possessed the capability to easily propagate oneself, why not do so? Why not make peers?

Yup.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
28-01-2014, 06:48 PM
This does come up a bit with disingenuous theists.
"An Atheists can't tell me what proof they require", therefore they are choosing to reject god.

You could be vague and say "any proof" would be acceptable or specific and say heal an amputee, but the theist will just nod their head and continue their delusional agenda as if you had said " no proof will ever be accepted, there is not god and never will be".

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 4 users Like sporehux's post
28-01-2014, 06:52 PM
Re: RE: What sort of evidence would it take for atheists to believe in a creator?
(28-01-2014 06:48 PM)sporehux Wrote:  This does come up a bit with disingenuous theists.
"An Atheists can't tell me what proof they require", therefore they are choosing to reject god.

You could be vague and say "any proof" would be acceptable or specific and say heal an amputee, but the theist will just nod their head and continue their delusional agenda as if you had said " no proof will ever be accepted, there is not god and never will be".

You mean exactly what's going on in this thread with Mr. Fingers in Ears?

Using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes Phil Hill's post
28-01-2014, 07:06 PM
I would accept proof that could ONLY be explained by the existence of a God. I don't mean things that can't be explained YET, like the origin of the universe etc; I mean something that can ONLY be explained by a deity. I would also have to have first hand experience of it. Anecdotes will not suffice.

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
28-01-2014, 07:18 PM
(28-01-2014 11:36 AM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  What sort of proof or evidence would you require to believe in a creator?

Proof that doesn't require you to assume that it's proof of God in the first place.

This is where all the "evidence" thus far falls short: it all relies on the assumption that God exists to point to God. You would need to be able to make no assumptions one way or the other, see the "proof", and then know undeniably that it's proof of God.

Now, a big problem is that God allegedly gave all sorts of evidence (in a small corner of the world) for a period of time, then he just... stopped. So, of course we're going to be skeptical when someone claims that they've found proof of God. The fact that God only did his great works in a small part of the world a really long time ago makes it look like some people were just making it up.

So, if God had been showing himself all over the world, and had kept doing it after the invention of video cameras, he'd have a lot lower bar to clear.
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
28-01-2014, 07:28 PM
Lookingforanswers,
You asked a question and then you snuck in a statement about the Jewish dietary laws saving the entire race, a non sequitur if I ever heard one. What was your reason for asking the question in the first place? Mere curiosity would not explain your eagerness to throw in the extra bone.

What evidence would it take to convince you that God does NOT exist?

Doc
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post
28-01-2014, 07:39 PM
Also, I didn't think about this for my last post:

A god powerful enough to create the universe could just remove my doubt. It wouldn't even be that hard.

The only reason people are so hung up on faith in the first place is because God isn't provably, demonstrably real. You have to assume he's real, which... gets into faith.
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post